How efficient is this vent system?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get others opinion on my oxygen vent system setup, and maybe ways of improving it. I believe the system is much more efficient since I currently only have one algae deoxidizer, gas pump and gas valve going vs having multiple algae deoxidizer across my base. The vent system pushes the oxygen to common areas my dubs are going to be. 

Screenshot_6.png

Although there is nothing wrong with your current system, and venting, you might consider that gases will rise and fall based on their weight.
CO2 will always try to get to the lowest point it can, where hydrogen and contaminated oxygen will try to settle on the top of oxygen.
You can use this to your advantage by having your oxygen production at the bottom of your base, and have it naturally float up through your base. (perhaps also with the use of some gas permeable tiles)
The CO2 will also naturally want to settle in the bottom of your base, so this is where you would set up any scrubbers if you had them.
You could then put whatever you are using to deal with contaminated oxygen (if anything at all) at the top of your base.
This would effectively mean you don't need to pump any gasses around at all.

3 minutes ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Although there is nothing wrong with your current system, and venting, you might consider that gases will rise and fall based on their weight.
CO2 will always try to get to the lowest point it can, where hydrogen and contaminated oxygen will try to settle on the top of oxygen.
You can use this to your advantage by having your oxygen production at the bottom of your base, and have it naturally float up through your base. (perhaps also with the use of some gas permeable tiles)
The CO2 will also naturally want to settle in the bottom of your base, so this is where you would set up any scrubbers if you had them.
You could then put whatever you are using to deal with contaminated oxygen (if anything at all) at the top of your base.

That's actually a pretty good idea, I'm work on setting it up. It would work out more efficiently. 

12 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

I found it more helpful to setup air production with electrolyzers ontop so the raising hydrogen dosn't wake-up dupes in their sleep...

I decided not to use the electrolyzers in order to save even more water. I'm currently working on setting up a small "back up" system you could say using pufts and morbs. I got a few of them trapped in a different area while I'm setting the 'system' up, and then I plan to let them out into the area and seal the area. I already mistakenly killed one by a door, since I didn't know they could use doors...  

5 hours ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

SpoonsOnMyElbows, first I wanna say, you do great job on this forum, I like your posts and got many interesting things, THANK YOU! 

Let's say the weight is not correct word, cose 1327 gramms of contaminated oxygen can rise up on carbon dioxide with only have 64.5 gramms, but we don't have density in this game, and any kind of thermal parametrs of the gases won't let you understand what density this gas have, will it density be more or less than density of rest gases in the game...

and one more think - center of mass in this game is in bottom-bottom-right conner, so gases with high density flow in the bottom right conners if there no exit for them they will stay there... hope this screen will help you to understand just look on where black carbon dioxide stays and what weight it have and what weight have contaminateg oxygen.

MpuRSm7.jpg

Gases and liquids in the game is first checked for it's type and then by it's density to see whether it rises or falls. Densest helium at the top, then lighter and lighter before the densest contaminated oxygen, and so on.

Note that contaminated water is heavier (denser) than pure water so it will sink to the bottom.

4 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Gases and liquids in the game is first checked for it's type and then by it's density to see whether it rises or falls. Densest helium at the top, then lighter and lighter before the densest contaminated oxygen, and so on.

Note that contaminated water is heavier (denser) than pure water so it will sink to the bottom.

I think you mean hydrogen, not helium.

Also, you can kind of layer the gases, just like a jar of oil and water. My tank is filled with decontaminated oxygen at the bottom and oxygen on the upper part of the tank. However, the top of the tank is not sealed, and is open to decontaminated oxygen environment, but because oxygen is very dense, it rarely escapes the tank. I thought that was pretty interesting.

19 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Then it would make sense should it also be heavier per full tile, but that isn't what I see as water is 1000kg and contaminated water only 800kg.

1 minute ago, Masterpintsman said:

Then it would make sense should it also be heavier per full tile, but that isn't what I see as water is 1000kg and contaminated water only 800kg.

Yeah, I know, it's weird but contaminated water seems to flow to the bottom in a mixed tank regardless of individual tile weight.

There's not a particularly good reason to use density layering for gas filtration. It's better to pump from 'wells' of bad gas to specific, fairly well confined and defined places for it to be resolved, or to push that gas with fresh air into going somewhere else (eg, if you have a 'pocket' that isn't flowing to your pumps)

CO2 is the big one that can be dealt with in an unconfined space, but Hydrogen, Chlorine, and Toxic are better when isolated and handled under controlled circumstances.

It's OK if an HVAC and filtration system sometimes pumps puffs of bad gas as long as most of it is being processed at a scrubbing area. It's when you have large buildups that gasses become problematic, and that's probably because you aren't venting fresh air into rooms to push the bad air out.

Archived