The true End Game

So I have played this game about 10 times through now.. getting better each time learning more and more of the tricks to stay alive longer. I found that no matter what though once I run out of sand I am distend to fail very soon after no mater what you do you can not survive any longer if you do not have sand. it is the only Filtration media I can find. So with out Filtration no new clean air or water can be made.

Sand is also only available in the area where you start the game. Once you mine it all up average of around 70K each game, there is no more anywhere on the map. I have searched UP down Left and right to each Boarder and have not found any more Sandstone nor Sand except for that which spawn in the beginning.

so my question is has any else notice this also. or has anyone found a way to combat this with the current system?

my longest Campaign as of late is 190+ cycles,  could go longer but with out sand I don't see why. They will just die, nothing to filter Air or Water.

You can purify water/oxygen by using heating/cooling.  Turn contaminated water into steam, cool the steam and it turns into clean water.  Freeze contaminated oxygen, and heat into regular oxygen.  It can be difficult to get working, but once you have it set up, it works quite well.

You can also abuse vomit to keep a constant supply of contaminated water.  

This post may give you a few ideas: 

Any questions just ask

You can make water from condensing steam from contaminated water into clean water. You can also realize you don't need water at all for anything. That saves you the biggest amount of worry.

You can make pure O2 from liquefying contaminated O2. Or you can realize that your dupes are mostly fine breathing contaminated O2.

The idea that you need water or pure O2 is your own limitation, it's not one set by the game.

There's also another long discussion about the ultimate outcome being that everyone dies. Like your goldfish, ant farm, sea monkeys, terrarium, etc. I don't believe the game is intended to have a happy, uplifting music video ending. 

5 hours ago, ikabob said:

my longest Campaign as of late is 190+ cycles,  could go longer but with out sand I don't see why. They will just die, nothing to filter Air or Water.

Heat filters air and water.
Cooling contaminated oxygen to a liquid, and then heating it back to a gas turns it into clean oxygen.
Heating contaminated water to steam, and then cooling it back to a liquid turns it into clean water.

There is no need for sand.

1 hour ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

Heat filters air and water.
Cooling contaminated oxygen to a liquid, and then heating it back to a gas turns it into clean oxygen.
Heating contaminated water to steam, and then cooling it back to a liquid turns it into clean water.

There is no need for sand.

Well I do so too, but do you know what happen with sand in filters? It's became clay, right?

Ok, we have clay, and we have it melting point, 926,9 degree, have you melt it? Is it have evaporating point? What if we evaporate it and it became someting like contaminated oxygen and sand, like it happen with water where you'll get steam and dirt?

1 minute ago, Nativel said:

Well I do so too, but do you know what happen with sand in filters? It's became clay, right?

Ok, we have clay, and we have it melting point, 926,9 degree, have you melt it? Is it have evaporating point? What if we evaporate it and it became someting like contaminated oxygen and sand, like it happen with water where you'll get steam and dirt?

I haven't tested sand, but i've tested most other substances, and the only things that change composition seem to be the contaminated substances, oxygen and water. The rest just turn into a solid that bugs out and can't be picked up or moved, or even melted again.

you dont need water: mealwood grows without it and the lice can be eaten raw, also morbs and many other things produce contaminated o2 out of nothing, this can be purified, altough no need to, by cooling it down to liquid and then evaporating it again

all in all water is an important resource in early and mid-game, but when the game is well played and exploited, it will vecome obsolete

7 minutes ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

I haven't tested sand, but i've tested most other substances, and the only things that change composition seem to be the contaminated substances, oxygen and water. The rest just turn into a solid that bugs out and can't be picked up or moved, or even melted again.

As you said contaminated substances, sand became clay after filtering process, so we can say that is clay are contaminated sand.

28 minutes ago, SpoonsOnMyElbows said:

And one more think about solid state, once I've got this on my load, so solid carbondioxide became block with can be melted again.

It's all depends on how much of this material could be in one block so let's say for Ice is 1000 kg and if you have 1000 kg of ice in solid state in one tile with have -1 degree or less it could became block of Ice with can be melted. For carbon dioxide this is near 40 gramms and under -59 degree. 

4jUwlsV.png

7 hours ago, Nativel said:

Water, contaminated water, oxygen or other gases are like not mined rocks, part of the world. Always occupying whole map square. Those things could be changed in nature by heat or cold.

Already mined things are probably changed only by some machines when dupes deliver them to those machines.

Like we can get gold from Gold Amalgam but not after heating already mined Goldamalgam.
Already mined little iron square on the ground can be heated to any number and will never melt... that is probably why solid oxygen or other gasses will currently stay like that no matter what temperature. (i mean solid oxygen coming out of pipes that looks like mined - not block solid like your CO2)

I tested heating not mined clay using debug mode and it changes to something that looks like sand but is not yet implemented, but can be normally obtained and put into storage.

Missing.Strings.Elements.Brick.Name :)

vDaSHyt.png

On 3/9/2017 at 2:41 PM, bzgzd said:

Water, contaminated water, oxygen or other gases are like not mined rocks, part of the world. Always occupying whole map square. Those things could be changed in nature by heat or cold.

Already mined things are probably changed only by some machines when dupes deliver them to those machines.

Like we can get gold from Gold Amalgam but not after heating already mined Goldamalgam.
Already mined little iron square on the ground can be heated to any number and will never melt... that is probably why solid oxygen or other gasses will currently stay like that no matter what temperature. (i mean solid oxygen coming out of pipes that looks like mined - not block solid like your CO2)

I tested heating not mined clay using debug mode and it changes to something that looks like sand but is not yet implemented, but can be normally obtained and put into storage.

Missing.Strings.Elements.Brick.Name :)

vDaSHyt.png

You can also find this element in the painter, in debug mode, however I can't find a use for it - it's just there to look weird for now, I guess. Maybe there'll be something to do with it in the upcoming update, but I doubt it. Until the devs find a use for it, it won't really be useful.

What we need is a rock crusher, to create more sand. Have it be a Stone mill with a couple big stone wheels that a dupe has to run on directly to turn and create sand. The cost of this action is then calories and O2, and can be directly balanced to the properties of the sand that's output.

Regarding sand, during the last Klei stream they said that they have not planned renewable sand as of yet, however, more should eventually spawn in different biomes.  Honestly, given the seeming interest the developers have in physics mechanics (the next update is basically just a heat physics update), I think it makes sense that the "long term" solution for cleaning air and/or water is to use the heat/cold mechanics to do so.

That said, the next update will have Steam vents and as such infinite hot water/steam.  So really, it should be rather easy to create stable colonies at that point as long as you establish a good cooling system to handle it all.

5 hours ago, SurrealSadi said:

I missed the last stream, did they say when the next update would come?

They said that it should be released as a beta branch on Steam as of this coming Wednesday (assuming everything goes as planned).  It'll be merged into the main branch on Steam the following week.  That is what was stated during the stream.

Archived