There are probably just triggers out there that force gases to find which side to go if they want to go deeper :). So since going left is hitting the wall, only going right is the appropriate option, since in doing so, they can fill the bottom most point of closed room environment.

Or it just happens randomly inside mesh tiles, CO2 gathers there and is pushed randomly left/right till it hits ladder to go down.

12 minutes ago, IvanX said:

There are probably just triggers out there that force gases to find which side to go if they want to go deeper :). So since going left is hitting the wall, only going right is the appropriate option, since in doing so, they can fill the bottom most point of closed room environment.

Or it just happens randomly inside mesh tiles, CO2 gathers there and is pushed randomly left/right till it hits ladder to go down.

You should do some experiments to try to confirm your theories before shooting in the dark.

The reason I think you're going the wrong direction is because CO2 formed right triangles in the bottom right corner of my base (before I installed the air scrubber to remove it entirely).

I expected it to spread out along the bottom floor to form a thin barrier of gas. It doesn't. Instead, it goes against gravity to climb the wall on the right side and form a perfect black/brown triangle. I put my air scrubber at the most bottom/right point of the triangle and it was able to clear every single bit of co2 from my base.

I noticed this behavior before I placed the ladder. I actually placed that ladder on the right side of my base to exploit this behavior and stop pockets of CO2 from building up in the right-hand sides of one-way hallways and never flowing down to be cleaned.

This is definitely the result of some kind of bias in the gas flow algorithm.

27 minutes ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

This is definitely the result of some kind of bias in the gas flow algorithm.

Which by the developer can be explained away as an intentional result of a rapidly spinning asteroid.

On 2/25/2017 at 10:34 PM, Erasmus Crowley said:

Thats the easy part to explain. Any insight into why it all flows to the right?

Could it be that the developers took into account the Coriolis affect? If so, then we can know that the planet rotates counterclockwise, and that our base is not located at either of its poles.

On 3/9/2017 at 3:02 PM, Saturnus said:

Which by the developer can be explained away as an intentional result of a rapidly spinning asteroid.

9 minutes ago, Acsion said:

Could it be that the developers took into account the Coriolis affect? If so, then we can know that the planet rotates counterclockwise, and that our base is not located at either of its poles.

Both of these are potentially reasonable explanations. However, if gases experienced skewed gravitational forces due to rotation, then it seems like fluids should experience the same force as well, to an even greater degree considering that fluids are denser.

Also, if that effect existed, then the first instinct of the dupes building platforms would be to make them perpendicular to the direction of (what feels like) the downward pull (making the top of the platform level with the angle created by the division of the gasses in game), otherwise it would constantly feel like walking up and down a hill.

34 minutes ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

Both of these are potentially reasonable explanations. However, if gases experienced skewed gravitational forces due to rotation, then it seems like fluids should experience the same force as well, to an even greater degree considering that fluids are denser.

Also, if that effect existed, then the first instinct of the dupes building platforms would be to make them perpendicular to the direction of (what feels like) the downward pull (making the top of the platform level with the angle created by the division of the gasses in game), otherwise it would constantly feel like walking up and down a hill.

As we know from earth, the Coriolis affect does affect both liquids and gasses, but liquids to a lesser degree because gravity more strongly pulls them than gasses. The reason being that liquids are denser with more atoms to pull, and their surface tension makes masses of liquid more resistant as a whole to the Coriolis affect, which is not a force at all really, it's just the tendency for an object to stay where it is while the ground beneath it moves.

I've been playing the game for a few days now, I have learned a lot. But I have been having problems making it past a certain amount of days, without their stress level getting to 100%, and at that point it's nearly impossible to get it down. Or so it seems. 

I've been experimenting with purifying oxygen through cold too, and have made a small but almost functioning system with one pump, one thermocooler and two gas filters.
The pump and the thermocooler send gases to the first filter, keeping only contaminated oxygen in the circuit and cooling slowly.
The second filters then sends oxygen in my base and let the rest of the gases out of it. The only problem I'm facing right now is no matter how cold the contaminated oxygen gets, as long as it stays in pipes it doesn't convert into liquid oxygen, forcing me to switch manually the filter so that they send it into a room where it can convert and be sent to my base. The game really should make it so that the oxygen is converted even when in the pipes, as it would make sense that way

20170311152057_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Emptymess said:

The game really should make it so that the oxygen is converted even when in the pipes, as it would make sense that way

A thermal filter (as suggested somewhere else) would do that trick nicely, without the need to change undercooled gas into a liquid inside the gas pipe.

Archived