What governs book-reading and how to grant this power to a character

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'd like to ask where in a mod one can find the tag specifying the character as a reader of books (Wickerbottom, Maxwell...) or monster (Webber). The premises are simple: I want to have more control over my RPG servers, namely PCs being able to eventually learn to read. If it was possible, I could simply temporarily unlock book-reading to the others, possibly even customs, if plot demands so (no crafting, though, unless it's inherently linked to book-reading; I don't need it and Wicker still needs to be around to craft the tomes).

From what little I was able to find out on the subject, there is some tag which makes Wicker and Max capable of using books rather than just examining them. Possibly something along the lines of:

inst:AddComponent("reader")

I know a mod which can make pigmen neutral to Webber, effectively removing his monster status (although any modded pigs still hate him, just like the rest of animals), but there is no explanation how to mimick it. Would someone please help me, a complete ignorant when it comes to DST modmaking, learn if it's possible to add the perk of book-reading to other characters? Thank you kindly in advance.

Edited by Arlesienne

2 hours ago, DarkXero said:

That is exactly it.

inst:AddComponent("reader")

And you are now able to read books.

Many thanks, I shamelessly admit I only looked up a mod where a character could read books and lucky-guessed. Is there a particular area where it should be added in modmain.lua please? The mod I was spying on trying to take apart has a lot of lines evidently left in place from the Extended Character Template. I would not want to blow things up (backups being backups).

3 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Many thanks, I shamelessly admit I only looked up a mod where a character could read books and lucky-guessed. Is there a particular area where it should be added in modmain.lua please? The mod I was spying on trying to take apart has a lot of lines evidently left in place from the Extended Character Template. I would not want to blow things up (backups being backups).

Not to highjack your thread at all, but you're making a character without using the Extended Character Template mod? Might you have a suggestion for where to learn that? I've been trying to use the mod, and it's just turned into an absolute mess.

8 hours ago, Bebbit said:

That goes in the player prefab file, not modmain.lua.

Many thanks for this! I was misled by the mod I used as an example having the tag in modmain.lua - will remember that.

9 hours ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

Not to highjack your thread at all, but you're making a character without using the Extended Character Template mod? Might you have a suggestion for where to learn that? I've been trying to use the mod, and it's just turned into an absolute mess.

Sorry, I would not call this making a character. It is just little tweaks for personal use I learn on the go by simple analysis of the LUA. It is so readable. I can change characters' stats, the strength of their perks (mostly for Willow to have a higher sort of fire immunity), item durability, their warmth and sanity aura, the number of player slots. Knowing prefab names, it should be possible to swap the quantity and maybe even the type of ingredients used. In custom characters, I prefer to just correct typos in examination quotes. I am asking about book-reading thinking about vanilla characters and one custom whose author is my friend. I want my PC (who, characterisation-wise, should be able to use them) to have a chance to teach Webber to read. It is for RPGs only, not to make Wickerbottom less unique (yesterday, I found a mod which is supposed to unlock books and crafting them with a shadow manipulator, just have not had a chance to test it yet; still, that would make the dynamics a bit too harsh on Wicker).

The whole gist is viable only because the character I am using was created by my friend. It is a matter of trust. I do not allow anyone to roleplay Cougher, for instance: using the mod to roleplay their own PC is fine, but who sane would pretend to know Cougher well enough to roleplay him? If the change is successful, it will not be uploaded anywhere anyway. It is just for occasional personal use. I do not know where to learn making little changes without the Extended Character Template other than how it works for me: creating a backup of my files and then taking the game apart, seeking some logical pattern. I do believe you will do well - if I, able to code just in HTML, can force the game to behave more or less the way I want, then imagine what your possibilities are :D!