Shipwrecked recipes that bad?

I tried SW shortly after the EA relase but playing properly first time now.

Is it me or the new recipes are disappointing? Playing with Walani and getting food is more hassle than in vanilla. I do have tons of limpets, crabbets, tropical fish and wobsters but these are all fish and they're not nearly as nourishing as proper meats. The new dishes restore A LOT of health but that seems useless most of the time. Most of them restore 37 hunger and 20-60 HP - what's the point? You have to eat MUCH more often than heal yourself.

Plus getting the fish ingredients is less efficient than getting meats. In vanilla it was quite easy to hunt koalefants or beefalos. In SW the only reliable resource are the crabbets. Limpet stones can't be transported, so you have to island-hop every few days. Shoals are far away from land (in my map), dogfish are apparently a limited resource and wobsters are a pain to catch (plus they're not that abundant either). Apparently there are beefalos in SW too but I haven't found any yet. The map seems just absurdly ginormous, I'll have to create a smaller world next time.

There are also no reliable sources of fertilizer, unless you want to be poo-pelted by a swarm of monkeys, so no efficient farming either in SW.

Overall the new SW foods restore so little hunger and collecting the ingredients si so time consuming I find myself doing little else. The only efficient food are still metballs. Unfortunately the only source of meat I know of are the spiders. And because I set up my base on a small-ish island I can't plant a spider colony nearby; the buggers would be all over my island soon. So I have to "import" monster meat by travelling quite a distance to a "Spider Island" and back, getting the seaweed for the fillers on the way.

I guess my problem will be solved on my next playthrough when I create a much smaller world, settle on a big island, plant a spider colony nearby and keep cookign meatballs with monster meat and seaweeds. But is there a better solution? Any good mods that change the values of the new recipes? That would be fantastic, though I was searching for those and didn't find any. Thanks for any tips you can give.

Well, the recipes are meh in my opinion.

And since you're having problems with getting meat or manure I suggest feeding wildboars petals or fruits/vegetables. You can also use this exploit to get pigs to infinitely respawn (to get more meat).

11 hours ago, Aalda11 said:

I tried SW shortly after the EA relase but playing properly first time now.

Is it me or the new recipes are disappointing? Playing with Walani and getting food is more hassle than in vanilla. I do have tons of limpets, crabbets, tropical fish and wobsters but these are all fish and they're not nearly as nourishing as proper meats. The new dishes restore A LOT of health but that seems useless most of the time. Most of them restore 37 hunger and 20-60 HP - what's the point? You have to eat MUCH more often than heal yourself.

Plus getting the fish ingredients is less efficient than getting meats. In vanilla it was quite easy to hunt koalefants or beefalos. In SW the only reliable resource are the crabbets. Limpet stones can't be transported, so you have to island-hop every few days. Shoals are far away from land (in my map), dogfish are apparently a limited resource and wobsters are a pain to catch (plus they're not that abundant either). Apparently there are beefalos in SW too but I haven't found any yet. The map seems just absurdly ginormous, I'll have to create a smaller world next time.

There are also no reliable sources of fertilizer, unless you want to be poo-pelted by a swarm of monkeys, so no efficient farming either in SW.

Overall the new SW foods restore so little hunger and collecting the ingredients si so time consuming I find myself doing little else. The only efficient food are still metballs. Unfortunately the only source of meat I know of are the spiders. And because I set up my base on a small-ish island I can't plant a spider colony nearby; the buggers would be all over my island soon. So I have to "import" monster meat by travelling quite a distance to a "Spider Island" and back, getting the seaweed for the fillers on the way.

I guess my problem will be solved on my next playthrough when I create a much smaller world, settle on a big island, plant a spider colony nearby and keep cookign meatballs with monster meat and seaweeds. But is there a better solution? Any good mods that change the values of the new recipes? That would be fantastic, though I was searching for those and didn't find any. Thanks for any tips you can give.

Crabbits are not reliable though. SW source of meat is probably snake/spider/monkey farms, then some fish.

For hunger its the same 3 dishes from the base game(meatballs, meaty stew, bacon and eggs) because you dont really need much more, Banana Pops or Surf 'n' Turf(which also can work with 2 monster meat so..wow) for sanity, and for health bisque/surf 'n' turf. 

The best source of fish is Fishermerms. They're also a reliable source of fertilizer since they fish so much that you're bound to get quite a lot of rot from fish you couldnt collect.

So basically, apes/snakes/spiders, fishermerms, and get ready to drown in food and realize why food is incredibly easy to come by in SW.

Yeah, so ya'll basically confirmed my suspicion. No good recipe mods? It'd be awesome if the stats of sur'n'turf were reversed - 60 hunger and 25 health for example. Oh well.

EDIT: Also, I've just noticed there is no option for a "Small" world in the customization. Is "Medium" bigger or smaller than "Default". If "Default" is the smallest possible one, it's kindda bummer.

20 hours ago, Aalda11 said:

Yeah, so ya'll basically confirmed my suspicion. No good recipe mods? It'd be awesome if the stats of sur'n'turf were reversed - 60 hunger and 25 health for example. Oh well.

EDIT: Also, I've just noticed there is no option for a "Small" world in the customization. Is "Medium" bigger or smaller than "Default". If "Default" is the smallest possible one, it's kindda bummer.

But why would you need more actual hunger recipes when you have plenty?

7 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

But why would you need more actual hunger recipes when you have plenty?

Just for variety sake. Right now I'm basically only eating spiders with seaweed/berries. Would be nice to have some seafood recipes that restore more than 37 hunger. I'd love to fish, catch lobsters and collect mussels for my eating needs. Right now all those great new resources and recipes are completely wasted because they're so bad at restoring hunger.

For example it'd be fantastic if Seafood Gumbo required 1 lobster, 1 fish and 2 mussels and restored 150 hunger. That way seafood would be competitive with the spider meat.

4 minutes ago, Aalda11 said:

Just for variety sake. Right now I'm basically only eating spiders with seaweed/berries. Would be nice to have some seafood recipes that restore more than 37 hunger. I'd love to fish, catch lobsters and collect mussels for my eating needs. Right now all those great new resources and recipes are completely wasted because they're so bad at restoring hunger.

For example it'd be fantastic if Seafood Gumbo required 1 lobster, 1 fish and 2 mussels and restored 150 hunger. That way seafood would be competitive with the spider meat.

Not really wasted. Hunger is so little of an issue that the fact most of the game forgets about it doesn't really hurt most people.

but sw in general is wasted.

Well that's kindda my point. Hunger is so little of an issue because it's so easy to kill a few spiders and collect a few seaweeds and make meatballs. That's what vast majority of people are doing I suspect. Nobody wants to spend literally days catching lobsters and gathering mussels and then restore 37 hunger with Gumbo or Surf'n'Turf. You wouldn't be doing anything else.

It's such a shame, no idea what the devs were thinking. Why not nerf meatballs from monster meat to 37 hunger and significantly boost the seafood recipes, so they restore significantly more hunger and less health? Who on earth needs meals that heal 60 HP?

I think a mod like this would be super easy to make, unfortunately I don't have the first idea how to mod and couldn't find any existing mods like that.

2 hours ago, Aalda11 said:

Well that's kindda my point. Hunger is so little of an issue because it's so easy to kill a few spiders and collect a few seaweeds and make meatballs. That's what vast majority of people are doing I suspect. Nobody wants to spend literally days catching lobsters and gathering mussels and then restore 37 hunger with Gumbo or Surf'n'Turf. You wouldn't be doing anything else.

It's such a shame, no idea what the devs were thinking. Why not nerf meatballs from monster meat to 37 hunger and significantly boost the seafood recipes, so they restore significantly more hunger and less health? Who on earth needs meals that heal 60 HP?

I think a mod like this would be super easy to make, unfortunately I don't have the first idea how to mod and couldn't find any existing mods like that.

Lobsters and mussles are lame. Meta is fishermerms and spiders and swim in so much surf 'n' turf you dont care how much it restores.

meals that heal are pretty good for...healing, but in sw it stopped being anything special

The recipes for SW (both old + news) are very easy to handle actually. I'm playing with Warly to make things a little more difficult (rotation of recipes) and it's still totally doable.

I've made those "memos" for me, maybe it will be useful for you. 1 twig + 2 seaweed + X is key. My goal was to provide the easier access to all recipes in a SW environment.

1467834457-ds-recipes-page-1.jpg
1467834457-ds-recipes-page-2.jpg

And you have this website to do your own research.

https://bluehexagons.github.io/foodguide/html/index.htm

It's all about Fishermerms. I built my base in a swamp-only island with 4 of their huts and never regretted it despite having to bring in trees, grass & twigs and more attractive turf. With that many fishermerms you have an abundance of food, fuel and fertilizer. Fortunately, the island is also right next to the volcano, so summer (ceviche) is a breeze.

(tip from a guy with 150+hrs of gameplay)

>getting meatballs is quite easy. just place a spider den somewhere around your base. make sure you have a berry farm.(usually i plant 18 berry farms). then cook monster meat and 3 berries. also a bird cage is pretty good for making bacon and eggs

>i rarely use the ice maker. waiting for it to pop out ice is a waste of time

Archived