Klei, have you abandoned Don't Starve?

tl;dr

14wrnc.jpg

I've honestly been playing nothing but the original don't starve recently, reason being is that DST just isn't that much fun for me, having another player there is just eh... maybe once the game takes its own form with more multiplayer content.

As for updating the vanilla game, why would you think an update won't happen?  wait until TtG is complete and then ask kindly for a port, Klei is a great company and they listen. I am also 100% sure they were intending to do it anyway, Now is just not the proper time to do since you would have to consistently update content on different versions, its much more efficient to complete TtG and then port it as a whole. So wait patiently and have faith.

2 hours ago, BlindGunner said:

They brought in Capy to work on SW. Meanwhile focusing on DST themselves.

SW was the biggest expansion that was ever added to Don't starve, I am not surprised they brought in more workforce to develop it. Just because they partnered with them to create this doesn't mean that Klei themselves had nothing to do with the process of the development , besides even if SW didn't even get looked at by a Klei dev its still a fantastic expansion that many of many have enjoyed. 

39 minutes ago, Flare2V said:

the entire new singleplayer expansion doesn't count guys, klei abandoned singleplayer

I knew someone would comment on that.

SW isn't a part of DS. It's a separate thing. It's not like RoG where to merged together, so the core game was updated. Again, it's Klei splinting a good game in half. 

6 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I knew someone would comment on that.

SW isn't a part of DS. It's a separate thing. It's not like RoG where to merged together, so the core game was updated. Again, it's Klei splinting a good game in half. 

185?cb=20160227093902

You can merge them.

Same deal with caves, you got your own world and another which merges through traveling the sink hole.

30 minutes ago, or1239 said:

tl;dr

14wrnc.jpg

I've honestly been playing nothing but the original don't starve recently, reason being is that DST just isn't that much fun for me, having another player there is just eh... maybe once the game takes its own form with more multiplayer content.

As for updating the vanilla game, why would you think an update won't happen?  wait until TtG is complete and then ask kindly for a port, Klei is a great company and they listen. I am also 100% sure they were intending to do it anyway, Now is just not the proper time to do since you would have to consistently update content on different versions, its much more efficient to complete TtG and then port it as a whole. So wait patiently and have faith.

SW was the biggest expansion that was ever added to Don't starve, I am not surprised they brought in more workforce to develop it. Just because they partnered with them to create this doesn't mean that Klei themselves had nothing to do with the process of the development , besides even if SW didn't even get looked at by a Klei dev its still a fantastic expansion that many of many have enjoyed. 

2 minutes ago, or1239 said:

;_; i enjoyed it, and it received overall overwhelmingly positive statues on steam so ehh

Steam reviews: 

(Minus the No part, just hahaha)

Its good the first year but after that its tedious, you notice how little creativity there is, how little passion there is, how it's not as hard as it's a grindfest, etc. etc.

Also so many useless craftables. 

It has twice of RoG's content, but it's tacked on, not organically adding(RoG worked because what it added for the most part fit in with what was easteblished)

Steam reviews: -snip-

(Minus the No part, just hahaha)

Its good the first year but after that its tedious, you notice how little creativity there is, how little passion there is, how it's not as hard as it's a grindfest, etc. etc.

Also so many useless craftables. 

It has twice of RoG's content, but it's tacked on, not organically adding(RoG worked because what it added for the most part fit in with what was easteblished)

Ah well, i do agree to some extent.

But i still think its a great expansion overall and hope they can make more of em.

And of course improve them with our community feedback.:wilson_smile:

4 minutes ago, or1239 said:

Ah well, i do agree to some extent.

But i still think its a great expansion overall and hope they can make more of em.

And of course improve them with our community feedback.:wilson_smile:

Feels abandoned and rushed.

It has its few good sides though. Ironically, the Volcano's the only good side I can think of, despite how empty it is, SW is empty as well, but Volcano is smaller(less nothingness) and obsidian stuff are dope.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Feels abandoned and rushed.

It has its few good sides though. Ironically, the Volcano's the only good side I can think of, despite how empty it is, SW is empty as well, but Volcano is smaller(less nothingness) and obsidian stuff are dope.

I pretty much enjoyed everything that it had

Maybe I am just too easy to please but to me the SW world felt pretty big with plenty to do and fight,

The seasons, the difficulty , the ability to sail through the ocean with 4 new characters to unlock, it was definitely worth the 5 bucks. While i do agree it had borrowed elements from the vanilla game and it also wasn't organically added, It was still fresh and introduced a few elements of its own. 

1 hour ago, or1239 said:

I pretty much enjoyed everything that it had

Maybe I am just too easy to please but to me the SW world felt pretty big with plenty to do and fight,

The seasons, the difficulty , the ability to sail through the ocean with 4 new characters to unlock, it was definitely worth the 5 bucks. While i do agree it had borrowed elements from the vanilla game and it also wasn't organically added, It was still fresh and introduced a few elements of its own. 

I'd agree if it didn't feel so abandoned and rushed. Being on the SW forums really didn't help it. When you see all these ideas and discussions and fans wanting to make something amazing, and then it comes out so underwhelming...your hype dies.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I'd agree if it didn't feel so abandoned and rushed. Being on the SW forums really didn't help it. When you see all these ideas and discussions and fans wanting to make something amazing, and then it comes out so underwhelming...your hype dies.

Absolutely agreed. 

15 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Who actually manages to get a saddle when playing on multiplayer? Nobody, it's way too much hassle for the kind of multiplayer game sessions. I've never ever seen a Beefalo being ridden on a server, ever.   

Really??? Never-ever??? You poor thing. Come to my servers and you shall experience the Revelation of Beefies. I never consider it too much of a hassle if you do it right.

14 hours ago, Mario384 said:

Mobs have more health, caves are different, ghosts, Hutch, no Adventure Mode (yet), players do slightly less damage, armor and weapon sprites slightly more blurry.

You can change the health through the LUA or a mod. Just like damage multipliers. Ghosts add a new challenge.

14 hours ago, Michi01 said:

Rollback isn't meant to be used for undoing mistakes that you made while playing alone. I'm pretty sure it's mainly supposed to be used for situations like random people joining and burning stuff down. Rollback is not enabled by default so don't complain about it because it's up to you whether you use it or not when playing DST alone.

EDIT: Ooops okay it is enabled by default but that doesn't change anything you're not forced to use it.

Ditto. Having a detonator does not mean anyone forces me to use it.

13 hours ago, engiSonic said:

I thought they had a sanity aura?

yeah, here it is.

PUDGY =
    {
        build = "beefalo_personality_pudgy",
        customactivatefn = function(inst)
            inst:AddComponent("sanityaura")
            inst.components.sanityaura.aura = TUNING.SANITYAURA_TINY
        end,
        customdeactivatefn = function(inst)
            inst:RemoveComponent("sanityaura")
        end,
    },

They should buff it to be a higher value though. Like, around Tam-O-Shanter level. I mean, that's a ridiculous amount of food you need, and for what? Garland-level regeneration?

You can always change it. And pudgies are the cutest :P.

13 hours ago, rezecib said:

It is around Tam o'Shanter level. Tam o'Shanter is +6.67/min and pudgy is 6.25/min, assuming you're right next to it or riding it.

This is like having multiple Glommers without having to find the statue.

12 hours ago, Mikeadatrix said:

In my opinion. DS is near 100% completion. Just port over DST items and clothes and that's a wrap. The DS story is finished. Wilson takes the throne. The End.

DST starts with the Cyclum puzzle, and honestly... I sorta moved on from DS (besides Adventure Mode, working on that) and I believe Klei has too... BUT I am not against occasional content updates to spruce things up, just I don't EXPECT a huge new DLC like RoG. That's all.

Applause!

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

I never was on the SW forums so my hype never really got hurt like that, i was just welcoming whatever was being added with open hands.

I think the biggest flop around SW is that it started in early access, when in reality it was practically done, just needed to fix bugs just finish up the rest of the content that wasn't quiet done but already planned. They weren't open for suggestion of new things , they just had a certain amount  of things to make and adjust a few things according to feedback, its a shame that wasn't "built with a community " kind of thing like the original game, but we can still enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. 

You can kinda look at it better once you pretend it was released as a finished expansion... 

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

You can't have boats in DS...

So?! you can still bring stuff from SW just like you can from caves, Coffee Plant, turfs, creature houses etc.

And there's stuff in caves that you can't bring or have just like you can't have boats outside SW, Spilagmite spider den, Slurtle Mound, Ancient Pseudoscience crafting etc.

Point being you can have new stuff in the original game and that way 'the core game' is updated/brought new things.

I actually think klei focus is temporarily transferred to the DST, whether additional resources variability, domestication of cattle, or the kinds of small details, and even the story, Charlie got into the chair, but I think after all DS the best, most worthwhile, as you may remember dst even before the player request for development

3 hours ago, or1239 said:

I never was on the SW forums so my hype never really got hurt like that, i was just welcoming whatever was being added with open hands.

I think the biggest flop around SW is that it started in early access, when in reality it was practically done, just needed to fix bugs just finish up the rest of the content that wasn't quiet done but already planned. They weren't open for suggestion of new things , they just had a certain amount  of things to make and adjust a few things according to feedback, its a shame that wasn't "built with a community " kind of thing like the original game, but we can still enjoy it and appreciate it for what it is. 

You can kinda look at it better once you pretend it was released as a finished expansion... 

So?! you can still bring stuff from SW just like you can from caves, Coffee Plant, turfs, creature houses etc.

And there's stuff in caves that you can't bring or have just like you can't have boats outside SW, Spilagmite spider den, Slurtle Mound, Ancient Pseudoscience crafting etc.

Point being you can have new stuff in the original game and that way 'the core game' is updated/brought new things.

It's biggest flaw was that it wasn't an addition to the core game and also was promoted really badly. We were sold the idea that there would be boats and new ocean biomes in the core game.

We want boats. End of Story. 

39 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

It's biggest flaw was that it wasn't an addition to the core game and also was promoted really badly. We were sold the idea that there would be boats and new ocean biomes in the core game.

Whats with this 'core game' your talking about? the main game? 

There are boats and there is a new ocean, an entirely new world with a new ocean in fact. What are you talking about?

1 hour ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Who is this "we" you speak of?  I certainly don't want boats in RoG; no island could compete with the main continent, so at most I'd visit islands once, plunder what I want from them, and never return.  The only exception would be if the biomes were split off into disjointed islands, each insufficient for my needs like Archipelago, but that sounds an awful lot like SW.

And I know I'd just plunder the islands because I already do that.  Sometimes DS/RoG worlds have little islands that can only be reached by wormholes.  Usually I don't even leave the turf behind.

1 hour ago, or1239 said:

There are boats and there is a new ocean, an entirely new world with a new ocean in fact. What are you talking about?

Ocean?

*looks at emptiness*

I was sure it was just the endless void. Oh well, in SW they're the same. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Ocean?

*looks at emptiness*

I was sure it was just the endless void. Oh well, in SW they're the same. 

uhh...well point being there's an ocean you can sail through.

You might not like it and think its rather empty but its there.

3 hours ago, or1239 said:

The core game is Vanilla DS. RoG added to the game. SW just started from scratch.

I want boats in the real game.  

What I've always wanted re:  "mainland" Don't Starve and Shipwrecked, is a way to _fluidly_ go from one to another, without loading screens, like it's all one world.  Like, at some points on the mainland the shore slopes down gently to a sandy beach and you can make a raft from ordinary logs and get into the islands area of the world from there, and back.

I know this is just a pipe-dream, as it would probably be too hard on many people's computers.  And we DO have the Seaworthy (which takes a lot of resources to finally make), but a way for them to _feel_ more truly incorporated would be seriously cool.  Then, we would indeed have boats in "the real game".  In a way.  (I once ran into a sandy, palm-tree bedecked biome in adventure mode that almost, ALMOST, for a moment had me going "Gasp!  Am I about to see a beach?  CAN I SAIL AWAY FROM HERE?!" but of course no.)

Shipwrecked would also feel more "real" if it just had a bit of lore added to it.  If we knew where it was in the timeline, then hey!  No computer-breaking double-worlds needed, to make it feel like it _belongs_ to the world of Don't Starve!  (Although that would still be awesome.)

P.S. "Don't Starve With Mateys/Don't Sink Together" would DEFINITELY need a new boat--a passenger boat!  :)

...Notorious

52 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

The core game is Vanilla DS. RoG added to the game. SW just started from scratch.

I want boats in the real game.  

RoG was added to the game as an expansion, just like SW. 

Just because you start off in a different world and not from scratch doesn't mean that RoG is more of an update to Vanilla then SW (as in both were not an update). None of those added to Vanilla, RoG might have elaborated on the already existing content of Vanilla and simply added new biomes, mobs, mechanic, but so did SW. And with all of that, there was still nothing new that was added to Vanilla game during both of them.

But I get that your referring to RoG being added in a way where you can have all the existing Vanilla content with the new RoG stuff if you bought RoG, but its the same with SW thanks to Seaworthy, I don't think they could have added sailing into the current DS world anyway since it would have simply not worked from technical standpoint (a lot of things are already happening on the main DS island for example) or even gameplay wise. Creating a whole new world based around sailing With resources and seasons that fit in with the sailing mechanic was probably a better idea.

This is what we got. Lets be thankful that Klei even listens to its community on things like what to add and develop, We wanted multiplayer? We got it. We wanted sailing? We got it.

We aren't the ones who actually develop these things when it comes to it, so we don't know the struggle and process it takes to implement them.

43 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

What I've always wanted re:  "mainland" Don't Starve and Shipwrecked, is a way to _fluidly_ go from one to another, without loading screens, like it's all one world.  Like, at some points on the mainland the shore slopes down gently to a sandy beach and you can make a raft from ordinary logs and get into the islands area of the world from there, and back.

I know this is just a pipe-dream, as it would probably be too hard on many people's computers.  And we DO have the Seaworthy (which takes a lot of resources to finally make), but a way for them to _feel_ more truly incorporated would be seriously cool.  Then, we would indeed have boats in "the real game".  In a way.  (I once ran into a sandy, palm-tree bedecked biome in adventure mode that almost, ALMOST, for a moment had me going "Gasp!  Am I about to see a beach?  CAN I SAIL AWAY FROM HERE?!" but of course no.)

Shipwrecked would also feel more "real" if it just had a bit of lore added to it.  If we knew where it was in the timeline, then hey!  No computer-breaking double-worlds needed, to make it feel like it _belongs_ to the world of Don't Starve!  (Although that would still be awesome.)

P.S. "Don't Starve With Mateys/Don't Sink Together" would DEFINITELY need a new boat--a passenger boat!  :)

...Notorious

From my speculation of the lore, I believe Shipwrecked is a major prequel, or at least, using the Seaworthy is canon and it's a flashback to this world/nightmare. Though I could see the person on the Nightmare throne adding it to taunt them. Hint hint, wink wink.

Archived