How does gate in main menu work?

By that I mean who the main menu chooses to show.

It looks like it shows me people I recently played with. Thought it didn't show up any of my friends yet. So... How does it work?

EDIT: Oh man, just realised I made this topic in wrong forum. Can I ask for move? And sorry for my mistake.
EDIT2: Thanks for moving. :)

@MrNaxeros Moved the thread to DST Gen Disc. in case you were wondering. About the gate thing, it randomizes from the list of people you've met in game. You can find these people in the Encounters section of the History screen from the main menu. That's what I believe the Main Menu pulls player data from. You'd eventually get your friends to appear, just a luck of the draw.

I hope that helps, cheers.

So...when everyone is removed from your history (I clear mine a lot), it shows you next to a randomly configured character.
For some reason, at least for me, it sticks to one character per play session (regenerating after leaving other menus), and chooses a few clothing choices for them to stay within. The first time I tested it, there was a Winter Hat on each regeneration. Another, it alternated between Thulecite armor/a Puffy Vest, or Moggles/a spider hat, but didn't go outside of those 4 items.
But. If I wait a bit, the items they stick with change.

...it works pretty interestingly. I'd say configuration choices for random NPCs might be based on time? But, is it time played, or computer time? Or some sort of Klei time? Kronk pulling levers again?

3 hours ago, Aquaterion said:

You can also get yourself to appear, happened to me once

The game does that so you can look at how fashionable you are.

Also serious question can it show your friend even if you haven't played with them on a server?

Archived