How to cure the diseased bush?

14 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Au contraire mi amor, a "base" is not measured merely by the amount of berry bushes, grass tufts, and saplings you migrate to your central operating area...

If I may, there are plenty of Base Builders in Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together... I myself, not boasting, are one of such...

I personally don't find berries that much of a loss from a base... yes, now, they are essential for making rot for booster shots, but juicy berry bushes are better at it... for food production, I look to Spiders, Bees, and Bird Cages... for most the most part, grass and twigs are easy to come by and a mere dozen or so of each can sustain a base of 6...

So... yeah... also, partly the reason for why I don't employ that many grass/saplings/berry bushes in my bases is because of the lag that would result from too many things being loaded on-screen :T

But I do respect your answer as most do like to have berry bushes and the like in close proximity... and for the most part, it is a good strategy for those who are still a bit new to the game... 

Warning too many things (some are from pre-RoG in DST as I cannot fit all of the things in this post and will just be bad advertising):

Reveal hidden contents

Basecamp.pngcastleentrance.pngcastle_mainquarters.pngcastle_kitchenaviarystoreroom.pngwendy-swampfarmcampmain.pngwendy-swampfarmcampreedbunny.pngwendy-swampfarmcammeatpoop.pngwendy-swampfarmcampbeadandhoney.pngwendy-portalcamp.pngwendy-mainfrontyard.pngwendy-mainfrontyardfarms.pngwendy-mainfrontyardfarmsevil.pngwendy-mainfort.pngwendy-mainfortspiders.pngwendy-mainfortbees.pngwendy-mainfortpoopersandmeat.pngwendy-mainforttelelocator.pngwendy-mainfortburnables.pngwendy-pigcityking.pngwendy-pigcitycamp.pngwendy-pigcitycampentrance.pngwendy-pigcitycampentrance2.pngwendy-pigcityentrance.pngmycastleturfs.pngwigfid-cemetery1.png

I need to disagree with you on some your your points.

Berries are amazing to have when you have a few butter farms up and running, since you need the berries for waffels.

It is not just a good strategy for newer players since you can add on to it with butter farms to make a lot of waffles whenever you want.

Grass is one of the most used resources and you can rarely have too much of it in your farms (i usually have 30-40 grass in the base and 20-25 saplings). But i don't really get to feel lag, no matter how much stuff i plant in a base, and i might have had the same oppinion as you if i got lag due to having big farms.

I need to agree with you that berries are good for rot and juicy berries are even better at it, but juicy berry bushes die to disease after sometimes as little as 2-4 minutes after i plant it in my base...

Building walls around your base is the bad newplayer habit, because it will only delay the attack of hounds. Even if you use the walls in combination with houndstooth traps there are much better strategies for stopping hounds. Walls are more effectively used for farms (like butter farms and volt goat farms).

Most of the bases you show screenshots of are not effective at all, they are mostly examples of inefficient use of area and will get hit very hard by wildfire as soon as it becomes summer (if the player haven't deactivated the wildfires on the server that is, but who would do that).

I need to say they look aesthetically amazing but their practicality is quite the opposite.

15 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

will get hit very hard by wildfire as soon as it becomes summer (if the player haven't deactivated the wildfires on the server that is, but who would do that).

Well, those are the ones before RoG where the iceflingo is not yet present, 

16 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

Building walls around your base is the bad newplayer habit, because it will only delay the attack of hounds. Even if you use the walls in combination with houndstooth traps there are much better strategies for stopping hounds. Walls are more effectively used for farms (like butter farms and volt goat farms).

In this respect, I tend to put my farms at a relative distance away from my base as to not to worry about hound fires and such and only go there once they have regenerated. As for the hound funnels, I have yet to find a downside to that strategy as they maximize the use of the teeth and minimize the cost and productions of such especially in conjunction with the Geometric placement mod where you also maximize and optimize the space in which you place them in.

22 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

Berries are amazing to have when you have a few butter farms up and running, since you need the berries for waffels.

But for this, wouldn't the "butter" aspect be more important than the berries themselves? How often do you get butter pray tell?

23 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

I need to say they look aesthetically amazing but their practicality is quite the opposite.

Thank you. But I must iterate on the fact that after a few decades in-game, there is not much to do... that is why I believe, that the devs area adding the "variety" aspect in-game ergo, killing off the most coveted resources by way of disease. They are still improving upon this and I am eager as to how they will do it :)

48 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Well, those are the ones before RoG where the iceflingo is not yet present, 

In this respect, I tend to put my farms at a relative distance away from my base as to not to worry about hound fires and such and only go there once they have regenerated. As for the hound funnels, I have yet to find a downside to that strategy as they maximize the use of the teeth and minimize the cost and productions of such especially in conjunction with the Geometric placement mod where you also maximize and optimize the space in which you place them in.

But for this, wouldn't the "butter" aspect be more important than the berries themselves? How often do you get butter pray tell?

Thank you. But I must iterate on the fact that after a few decades in-game, there is not much to do... that is why I believe, that the devs area adding the "variety" aspect in-game ergo, killing off the most coveted resources by way of disease. They are still improving upon this and I am eager as to how they will do it :)

Yea the setup would have worked before the icefling but with it it's more effective to just keep things as connected circle bases around iceflings.

The butter is really not hard to get plenty of when you have a few catcoons to help you out in butterfarms here and there. 

Since i prefer to make a lot of butterfarms and goat farms i use my stone walls there and just make a fightzone for hounds, deerclops and bearger just outside the base in an empty area. A firepit in the middle with a dense ring of houndtraps around it. It makes killing gigants really easy and very fast (~15-20 sec).

I agree that when you have passed the 250-300 day mark there are not much to do... but being unable to make grass and berry farms makes for even less stuff to do, not more imo. (Since it kinda removes the aspect of collecting grass and berry bushes and to fertilize them from the game)

I really think they should allow us to prevent disease/cure plants and still let us make grass/twig/berry bush farms. That's really something I always loved about base building, you have to put some work into those farms but it pays off later.

berry bushes, grass, twigs,reeds should get disease and die and when they die another one will grow at a different place in the map, so the resources are always moving ponds, moles and bunnies should do the same, at summer the ponds will dry and at the first rain of autumn they will come back again, in different places, not spread apart, still in clumps but " migrating". bunnie holes get blocked the new ones will appear in a different place in the savanna, makes the game way more interesting.

I don't think it matters too much tho., unless we never will be able to cure them (therefore maintain our own oasis which is our base) but that would be really bad. Resources already kinda moving because you dig berry bush and after a while another respawn somewhere else. Ponds should not move unless we are able to "remove them" (otherwise one may spawn somewhere you don't want it to be and you can't do anything about it).

I would still prefer to be able to maintain our own grass/twigs/bush farm. Perhaps  it just should require some additional resources and work to keep them healthy.

So let's say we would have to keep an eye on our plants and quickly cure/remove diseased ones to avoid disease spread.

On 2016-04-20 at 4:28 PM, Bahlsen said:

Theory : certain things need to be placed on certain turfs so as not to have diseases, this would give the fork an important use. Like grasses on savannah only, etc...

Yeah, I played on a server today where grass tufts had been replaced with grass geckos, and the only grass tufts that didn't sicken and die were on savannah terrain. They were naturally spawning tufts, but putting replanted ones on savannah turf would probably be worth trying at least. (Nobody in my group thought to try this and our grass tufts replanted onto forest turf all died. So I can't confirm that it would work, as I only thought of it afterwards.)

Not sure what happens when the resource variants cycle back to the regular version of that resource, though. I assume new things spawn to replace the variant resources (regular berry bushes instead of juicy ones, for instance) but I don't know where they appear yet, or whether they reappear in setpieces that would normally have an unusual cluster of them, like pig villages.

Incidentally, the leafy version of berry bushes from the base game -- y'know, the ones you can't use for bush hats -- don't seem to be affected by Juicy Berry Bush substitution and the corresponding diseased status. So I don't see why you couldn't use those for a berry farm, if you specifically want the original berries for crockpot purposes.

Archived