Are rock lobster supposed to come above ground on there own?

Hey, so the question is in the title. I've already given them all flint and had them follow me back down a few times now, seemingly successfully, just to have them appear above ground at the cave entrance (and the odd one close to my base) only a few days later. Is this normal? Maybe I can stop them from coming up by building a wall around the rope leading up...

I see. So there is no stopping them then.

I tried building a wall around the entrance/exit above and below ground and it didn't keep them out so it seems you're right. Hopefully they don't cause any trouble because I was only trying to bring them back down because I was worried about it.

A lot of people dislike the rock lobsters on the surface, but I completely disagree. In my 400+ day world they gave me hound and giant protection pretty much everywhere. You can make them fight each other by bribing them with flint, then collect their remains (free meat, rocks, and flint). Yes, that's right, I use the remains of one rock lobster as bribery to make even MORE rock lobsters fight each other and repeat the cycle of deaaath! MUHUHUAHAHAHAH

Ahem... And spider farming is super easy. I don't have to waste grass making traps. Abigail is still better, but the rock lobsters really do a damn fine job.

The only downsides? Well, one time dragonfly lit my base on fire, and my rock/gold/gem/thulecite stash got eaten by those lobsters. So I made them fight each other to death as punishment. Hahaha!

The other downside is that they get stuck in any groves I plant for firewood. Very annoying, so I just chop trees to make a path for them, and then of course kill them and turn their insides into jerky.

10 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Do they have a herd size limit at least?

They do, IIRC both Beefalo and Rock Lobsters herds max out at 100. I'll be darned if I can find where I heard that number specifically (will update if I do), but here's where Peter announced the fix:

4 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Once one has gone up, is there any way to stop that?

Unfortunately, no, once one has come above ground a "herd location point" is formed for them and that's where they'll reproduce from. You can only try to contain the existing herd. One thing I've seen people do is place a piece of flint or rock on the ground and surround it with walls. The Rock Lobsters will all focus on the flint and try to get to it, but just mindlessly be walking into the walls forever.

9 minutes ago, imsomony said:

once one has come above ground a "herd location point" is formed for them and that's where they'll reproduce from.

You are going to get a "herd location point" for each rock lobster. If you bring 3 to the surface, you get 3 herds.

If you make them follow you down and up again and again, you will keep generating herds.

But for some reason, when you kill those, the herd point still exists.

However, if you kill all rock lobsters generated by the herd, you should eliminate the herd.

How to reproduce:

1) Go to cave, find rock lobster, give flints

2) Exit to surface with lobster, wait 6 seconds

3) c_gonext("rockyherd"), a herd point was generated

4) Kill rock lobster, c_gonext("rockyherd"), the point still exists

5) Go to cave

6) LongUpdate(480*30)

7) Exit to surface, find a rock lobster spawned by the rockyherd that didn't remove itself

8) Kill rock lobster, c_gonext("rockyherd"), find out the the herd point was removed

For all people with rock lobster problems, do c_countprefabs("rockyherd") and c_countprefabs("rocky").

Each rockyherd should max at 6 lobsters. So you should have less rockys than 6 * rockyherds.

If you have more than that, then every time you save and exit, when the herds try to gather nearby lobsters, they will get full, and some lobsters won't have a herd, thus creating yet another herd for each solitary lobster.

All of this because of those rock lobsters in point 3, that when killed, don't remove the herd point. If you don't kill those, and let them exist, then the herds will grow and grow.

Those special rock lobsters that somehow to not get added as herd members, that you brought up to the surface and didn't kill, if they exist in your world, will generate a herd EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU SAVE AND EXIT.

So, for now, if you bring rock lobsters to the surface. KILL THEM.

And after you kill them, keep playing, and remember to come back after a while, so the herd point spawns lobsters that when you kill, the herd point gets removed for good.

You need to wipe out ALL the lobsters twice if you don't know where the "special subjects" went.

However, there's still ANOTHER problem. When you relog or enter/exit a cave, and the herds decided to spawn a rock lobster, it is possible that the spawn of one of the herds ends up as the member of other if there's some member herd merging, which means that even if you kill all the rock lobsters, there's a chance that some herd points remain, because they didn't get their members killed, they just went away.

What does this mean for the average guy? That you need to wipe out rock lobsters globally every single time until they get destroyed. Every time you kill them all, herds disappear, maybe not all of them, so you just have to keep going.

And never take them out again until this is fixed.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Once one has gone up, is there any way to stop that?

Not by legitimate means...

*rolls tophat along arms*

...but ever since when is modding magic legitimate?

Just enter this one little command into your console:

for k,v in pairs(Ents) do if v.prefab=="rockyherd" or v.prefab=="rocky" then v:Remove() end end

It is far more fool-proof than the above garbage, but just to be sure, use this command next:

c_spawn("ofdadevl",6,GetPlayer().soul)

Enjoy your newfound peace of mind. Hahaha! *poof and gone*

TheMadMagician-Still1.jpg?partner=allmov

55 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

Not by legitimate means...

*rolls tophat along arms*

...but ever since when is modding magic legitimate?

Just enter this one little command into your console:

for k,v in pairs(Ents) do if v.prefab=="rockyherd" or v.prefab=="rocky" then v:Remove() end end

It is far more fool-proof than the above garbage, but just to be sure, use this command next:

c_spawn("ofdadevl",6,GetPlayer().soul)

Enjoy your newfound peace of mind. Hahaha! *poof and gone*

TheMadMagician-Still1.jpg?partner=allmov

I'm tired enough to actually do the ofdavel command. oooo boi. 

Archived