Suggestion (actually, it's more like a demand): Remove day from clock in volcano

It should be simply just dusk and night. Day time looks just simply bad inside something that is supposed to be a cave. Also remove wind and rain. 

Edit: Well, now I know that volcano level is actually not a cave at all. My suggestion chages:  

Either change color of turf on volcano level and color of lava, so colors of structure of volcano and volcano itself would match.

Or make volcano a cave, without weather and day cycle.

Thing is you'r not on a Cave you'r basicly walking on ontop of the Volcano I mean you can even see the Sea from it. So it makes sense that you got the day and Night cycle on it heck in theory there should actually be light up on the Volcano 24/7 because of the Lava and whatnot that sorrounds you.

33 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Thing is you'r not on a Cave you'r basicly walking on ontop of the Volcano I mean you can even see the Sea from it. So it makes sense that you got the day and Night cycle on it heck in theory there should actually be light up on the Volcano 24/7 because of the Lava and whatnot that sorrounds you.

Besides weather and day cycle (which I though were just something that will be locked anyway), there's literally nothing that could suggest it. This ocean at the edges looks like more abyss with steam, and it made sense for me

But even in this case - it is really should be like cave. It just doesn't look logical in flat world of Don't starve.

11 minutes ago, mitboy said:

Besides weather and day cycle (which I though were just something that will be locked anyway), there's literally nothing that could suggest it. This ocean at the edges looks like more abyss with steam, and it made sense for me

But even in this case - it is really should be like cave. It just doesn't look logical in flat world of Don't starve.

No.

4 minutes ago, CheeseburgerCockatoo said:

It should be only day, if that. And searing heat.

Actually, it shouldn't. Lava is a light source just like fire, and fire in don't starve luminates only some space near itself.

And no heat exept in summmer, since it's not in active state.

2 hours ago, mitboy said:

I agree it should be a cave, but...it simply isn't :p  All the evidence points to it being the top of the volcano.

6 hours ago, mitboy said:

there's literally nothing that could suggest it

Rain, hail, winds, lighting, day time being light, night time being dark... So basically same set of things that suggest outside is outside also suggests volcano is outside.

1 hour ago, stl1234 said:

Rain, hail, winds, lighting, day time being light, night time being dark... So basically same set of things that suggest outside is outside also suggests volcano is outside.

I thought that's because it's just beta.

4 hours ago, CheeseburgerCockatoo said:

Or the climb prompt... or the "ascend" in the code... or y'know, everything >-

I thought it just means that I got inside by climbing and finding way to get inside.

Everything for me is ->

• Steam near edges.
  • Flat world, because if I climbed, that would make me run slower in direction of the center.
  • Very dark turf that doesn't look like art of the volcano and looks horrbly bad during the day but good at dusk
  • I don't see any structures on volcano outside the volcano.
  • Lava on art of volcano doesn't look like lava inside volcano.
  • Art of the volcano is simply much smaller than volcano itself, so I figured that we walk inside volcano, since it should be much bigger underground.
  • Sounds in world generation screen makes me think that I'm in cave.
  • Design of world generation screen.

10 hours ago, mitboy said:

You can see the lava in the middle, aka the most well known feature of a volcano.

Meaning, you're not inside the volcano but on the top of it. 

Intreresting suggestions, mitboy. Thanks for sharing!

I have a similar suggestion regarding the clock (more like a demand, actually):

The day clock should stay as it is, with day, dusk and night, because TO ME it is obvious that I am outside when in volcano area, thus I know best how should the volcano work like. Also, please do not try to convince me because I will make any counterargument right off the bat just to support and sustain my current opinion on volcano clock, regardless of the input of other peeps in the thread. I think anything that suggests I'm inside a volcano cave, for example no sight of the sky, is because SW is still beta (good thing I'm Alpha enough).

Cheers!

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

You can see the lava in the middle, aka the most well known feature of a volcano.

Meaning, you're not inside the volcano but on the top of it. 

Not really. For me it was just underground lake.

So basically, it should be re-designed like cave, because it looks horrible in day light, and there's not much to re-design anyway.

On 3/25/2016 at 10:00 PM, mitboy said:

I thought it just means that I got inside by climbing and finding way to get inside.

Everything for me is ->

• Steam near edges.
  • Flat world, because if I climbed, that would make me run slower in direction of the center.
  • Very dark turf that doesn't look like art of the volcano and looks horrbly bad during the day but good at dusk
  • I don't see any structures on volcano outside the volcano.
  • Lava on art of volcano doesn't look like lava inside volcano.
  • Art of the volcano is simply much smaller than volcano itself, so I figured that we walk inside volcano, since it should be much bigger underground.
  • Sounds in world generation screen makes me think that I'm in cave.
  • Design of world generation screen.
  • The stuff you want to remove are exactly the things that tell you it's outside, on top of the volcano. The daytime, and the wind and rain.
  • The steam is the cloud ring that surrounds the top of the volcano.
  • Caves in Vanilla/ROG have dripping water when it's raining aboveground.
  • If you're going to bring up the flatness of the world, I would point out that realistically, the islands should have slopes if the volcano should. Even if it were caves there would be ups and downs. You also could be on that ring of flat around the top of the volcano.
  • If you're underground, there shouldn't even be dusk anyways, just dark with light around the lava pool.
  • The structures could just be really small, and if you're gonna talk about size, I would reply with it's just a game man, let it be what it is. Not everything is going to be proportional. Almost nothing about this game is realistic, which is what makes the design so cool.
  • The sounds and design of the world gen screen? This is just really nitpicky. If it made you think you were in a cave, that's your opinion. I understood that it was on top of the volcano from playing the game.

5 hours ago, Schluck said:
  • The stuff you want to remove are exactly the things that tell you it's outside, on top of the volcano. The daytime, and the wind and rain.
  • The steam is the cloud ring that surrounds the top of the volcano.
  • Caves in Vanilla/ROG have dripping water when it's raining aboveground.
  • If you're going to bring up the flatness of the world, I would point out that realistically, the islands should have slopes if the volcano should. Even if it were caves there would be ups and downs. You also could be on that ring of flat around the top of the volcano.
  • If you're underground, there shouldn't even be dusk anyways, just dark with light around the lava pool.
  • The structures could just be really small, and if you're gonna talk about size, I would reply with it's just a game man, let it be what it is. Not everything is going to be proportional. Almost nothing about this game is realistic, which is what makes the design so cool.
  • The sounds and design of the world gen screen? This is just really nitpicky. If it made you think you were in a cave, that's your opinion. I understood that it was on top of the volcano from playing the game.
  • Yes, I want it to be a cave.
  • Seems like.
  • No, dripping water exists only during spring.
  • Ring makes sense.
  • Maybe. 
  • Proportions are what made me think that I'm inside the volcano. They should make slight redesing of the volcano in this case.

1 hour ago, mitboy said:
  • Yes, I want it to be a cave.
  • Seems like.
  • No, dripping water exists only during spring.
  • Ring makes sense.
  • Maybe. 
  • Proportions are what made me think that I'm inside the volcano. They should make slight redesing of the volcano in this case.

But why? I mean we already have one Cavesystem and you basicly want to rip the one small detail that differentiates the Volcano from those Caves and that's the fact that the Weather still affects you on it (not counting things like Plants and Creatures cause both have different ones). SW already has big problems differentiating itself from RoG and you basicly want to bring it to close to RoG/Vanilla as possible and that's just wrong because SW tries it's best to make itself stick out with it's more vibrant Colors and more tropical set of creatures and different Seasonal effects so it needs every little bit to make it feel different.

I mean I would love a second layer to the Volcano basicly Volcanic Caves (that we will never get) and in there i can accept not being affected by Wind, Weather and Day and Night Cycle but again you'r on the Top of it everything points towards that conclusion and as many people said that you Walk on the top of the Volcano not the Insides of it. Cause lets be real here those Caves would look a hell of a lot different then the Volcano we have currently (actual Magmastreams maybe even a Magmatide system and the likes.)

Archived