Sea Hounds Suggestion

What do you think?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Yay.
    • Nay.

Sea hounds and players have a hate-hate relationship, but some players want to love them. So I was thinking of how to solve a few problems without having to re-invent the entire world, and came up with a suggestion. I'm curious on what people think about this one, poll is there to address that curiosity.

Hound attacks happen regularly as always. When the hound attack time comes, and the player is on the sea, the attack is delayed by a random amount of time, and will commence when the player is on land.

Sea hounds spawn continuously at random intervals, only while the player is moving on the sea. They always spawn one at a time, but there can be more than one targeting the player at the same time if they are not killed. They do not spawn before day 15, and their frequency starts with something like once every 5 minutes, and increases as the game goes on.

World customization could offer values like: None, which disables them entirely, Less, which reduces their frequency, Normal as described above, More which increases their frequency, and Lots where they spawn two at a time, with increased frequency.

Edit:A variant for this is that sea hounds spawn as frequently as described above in deep ocean, half as often in medium ocean, and 4 times less often in shallow ocean.

Sea hounds are still hounds, but I know what you mean. I would leave it as it is, sea hound attacks are good idea - with new changes like faster boat acceleration and 2 seconds immunity of armoured boat, attacks are possible to survive (well, haven't tried yet, my PC acts strangely).

Now I thought of another idea - sea hound mounds! What about some sea hounds spawning structures, eg. sharp boulders with dens, located in one, large ships cemetery (many shipwrecks in one place)?

Just now, Maslak said:

well, haven't tried yet

I have. Not much of a success, but it was easier to get away from a pack, since now it is more or less OK to get bitten once or twice.

I'm not really seeing a lot of difference from the acceleration change. Using iron wind, I tried to kite a single sea hound, didn't seem any easier than before to me. But I probably lack experience, since I don't typically attempt to deal with them head on.  

On 23.03.2016 at 4:45 AM, stl1234 said:

Sea hounds and players have a hate-hate relationship, but some players want to love them. So I was thinking of how to solve a few problems without having to re-invent the entire world, and came up with a suggestion. I'm curious on what people think about this one, poll is there to address that curiosity.

Hound attacks happen regularly as always. When the hound attack time comes, and the player is on the sea, the attack is delayed by a random amount of time, and will commence when the player is on land.

Sea hounds spawn continuously at random intervals, only while the player is moving on the sea. They always spawn one at a time, but there can be more than one targeting the player at the same time if they are not killed. They do not spawn before day 15, and their frequency starts with something like once every 5 minutes, and increases as the game goes on.

World customization could offer values like: None, which disables them entirely, Less, which reduces their frequency, Normal as described above, More which increases their frequency, and Lots where they spawn two at a time, with increased frequency.

I like this idea.

Archived