Volcano too easy

Hi!

I went into the volcano for the first time, and it was.....well...i only looked up on how to transplant coffee, so i was quite the noob in there.

BUT, the volcano is nothing like caves, in caves you had an impending sense of doom and disaster, but in volcanoes, well.....there is  nothing to kill you. After visiting, i gathered about 20 of the cactus and coffee, killed the dragoons (they are like spiders), found woodlegs and the table. It was easy, i stayed for 4 days and no hounds! Or whatever their equivalent is. I found the volcano too easy. I encountered it by mistake, i wanted to die and unlock warly and walani (yeah, i don't have them) by exploring, but i went in there to die, and i didn't get a scratch.

The volcano should be dangerous, unexpected magma bursts, lava domes, lava flow....NOPE. It's too easy, it takes the challenge away.

Klei and Capy, please fix it and make it harder.

Also, Abigail doesn't come out of the volcano. I haven't tried killing her yet though.

Its not that its too easy.

Its too boring.

(Also you're just on the rim of the volcano, of course you're not in the actual volcano. Lava is not really an issue there when it's not active. However it still not being an issue even during an eruption is some bull)

We have Woodlegs' cage(one time thing, after you get Woodlegs, the cage is gone), Dragoons(who you will move outside of the volcano to get obsidian more easily), Coffee(same as dragoons), Cacti(which sucks for anything but butterfly farms and even that is not that good. Its like some sort of an aoe tooth trap, but enemies target it, which makes it horrible for anything that fights back), The Workbench(occasionally you'll craft **** there), and the Altar which only matters during Dry Season.

The only reason left to go to the volcano is the Altar in Dry Season, and occasionally The Workbench. Its not even like the ruins where you only went in to craft stuff but still had a challange and fun.

(I am talking about Volcano in endgame)

1 hour ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Not everything in the game has to be harder. Please know that some people that are still beginners and die easily in the volcanoes, but if you can traverse the Volcanoes with ease, that shows how pro you are. :o

Pro? Me? I just sit by my base every single day in the game, too scared to go out incase of a hound attack. Thanks for the compliment though. As for being harder, IMO the beginners (including me) won't even find the volcano. I was just roaming about, waiting to die and i found it.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Its not that its too easy.

Its too boring.

(Also you're just on the rim of the volcano, of course you're not in the actual volcano. Lava is not really an issue there when it's not active. However it still not being an issue even during an eruption is some bull)

We have Woodlegs' cage(one time thing, after you get Woodlegs, the cage is gone), Dragoons(who you will move outside of the volcano to get obsidian more easily), Coffee(same as dragoons), Cacti(which sucks for anything but butterfly farms and even that is not that good. Its like some sort of an aoe tooth trap, but enemies target it, which makes it horrible for anything that fights back), The Workbench(occasionally you'll craft **** there), and the Altar which only matters during Dry Season.

The only reason left to go to the volcano is the Altar in Dry Season, and occasionally The Workbench. Its not even like the ruins where you only went in to craft stuff but still had a challange and fun.

(I am talking about Volcano in endgame)

So true. They should add something like lightbulbs or fire flowers that can't be transplanted.

Fire flowers give you an  strong one time use weapon which deals damage b/w 200-500. One time use, and blooms once every week or so. Incentives.

1 hour ago, Quyzbuk said:

Don't forget folks, Caves was largely empty for a while too when it was added, just keep suggesting ideas they may not have thought of and be patient, it's not labeled early access for no reason.

But...on the roadmap...no more updates.....

1 hour ago, LadyD said:

Be careful what you wish for. Klei are listening and they know what you have said... they have many tricks up their sleeves and monstrous ideas. 

I might regret this, but maybe during dry season lava "puddles" start forming every time an eruption happens? Once Dry Season's gone the Lava cools down and can be mined/dug after enough time to get some cool resources, possibly even some exclusive ones.

(Of course the puddles themselves when not cooled will burn you and overheat you when you touch/come near them as well)

11 hours ago, aukingiii said:

I traversed the volcano with ease to and I'm pretty bad at don't starve

Same here! I remember when i went to the caves, i died. By bunnymen.

I have a couple of ideas to make volcanoes more interesting:

1. Introduce a new resource that is only found the volcano. Someone else on another topic suggested magma tides which give resources. That's a great idea.

2. Have the volcano have it's own variant of hounds that burst when killed and deal 30 damage each burst. They also drop the rare resource in the volcano tides (10% chance).

3. The dragoon should have a master dragoon which is a boss, and is only found in the volcano during a full moon when 10 dragoons are killed. It's like the dragonfly but with many attacks. A punch, ranged, AoE, and it's eyes are like basilisks in that they paralyze you if you are facing it for too long. It drops meat, the rare resource, and a dragoon heartstring which can be used to make wands that point out treasure (like Lucky Hat but better as it points out VALUABLE treasure with great items instead of random ones). The wand has 5 uses.

4. Introduce a new creature - The lizard and chameleon hybrid. They are herdable animals that die with too much water (as you can't take them out with your boat). They periodically drop a tail that is used to make a backpack (like piggyback but no drawbacks). They also drop some saliva or something when killed that is used in the wand. When attacked, they attack with their tongue and also engulf in fire periodically when aggrod which burns the player with melee. They can camouflage and are difficult to find. They have a mating season (dry season) where they are hostile. Their eggs can be collected and cooked. If not cooked for too long, the eggs burst, dealing 50 damage and removing the adjacent items in the inventory or cave by burning them. The eggs are used in a new item - the anchor! The anchor increases the rate at which the boat degrades but removes the acceleration needed (don't ask how). It occupies the lantern slot and solves the water combat problem. The combat should still be improved, but with other methods (not kiting). For kiting, one needs the anchor.

5. When all else fail, introduce a new spider - the passive spider that runs really fast (REALLY fast and it never attacks) and drops silk, spider glands along with a piece of armour. With 12 of these armour pieces you can create an armour that has 1500 durability, 90% absorption and directs 30% the damage taken by it to the closes tree/structure/creature near it. They are replacements of warriors in the volcanoes and only thrive there.

7 hours ago, Prakhar said:

Same here! I remember when i went to the caves, i died. By bunnymen.

I have a couple of ideas to make volcanoes more interesting:

1. Introduce a new resource that is only found the volcano. Someone else on another topic suggested magma tides which give resources. That's a great idea.

2. Have the volcano have it's own variant of hounds that burst when killed and deal 30 damage each burst. They also drop the rare resource in the volcano tides (10% chance).

3. The dragoon should have a master dragoon which is a boss, and is only found in the volcano during a full moon when 10 dragoons are killed. It's like the dragonfly but with many attacks. A punch, ranged, AoE, and it's eyes are like basilisks in that they paralyze you if you are facing it for too long. It drops meat, the rare resource, and a dragoon heartstring which can be used to make wands that point out treasure (like Lucky Hat but better as it points out VALUABLE treasure with great items instead of random ones). The wand has 5 uses.

4. Introduce a new creature - The lizard and chameleon hybrid. They are herdable animals that die with too much water (as you can't take them out with your boat). They periodically drop a tail that is used to make a backpack (like piggyback but no drawbacks). They also drop some saliva or something when killed that is used in the wand. When attacked, they attack with their tongue and also engulf in fire periodically when aggrod which burns the player with melee. They can camouflage and are difficult to find. They have a mating season (dry season) where they are hostile. Their eggs can be collected and cooked. If not cooked for too long, the eggs burst, dealing 50 damage and removing the adjacent items in the inventory or cave by burning them. The eggs are used in a new item - the anchor! The anchor increases the rate at which the boat degrades but removes the acceleration needed (don't ask how). It occupies the lantern slot and solves the water combat problem. The combat should still be improved, but with other methods (not kiting). For kiting, one needs the anchor.

5. When all else fail, introduce a new spider - the passive spider that runs really fast (REALLY fast and it never attacks) and drops silk, spider glands along with a piece of armour. With 12 of these armour pieces you can create an armour that has 1500 durability, 90% absorption and directs 30% the damage taken by it to the closes tree/structure/creature near it. They are replacements of warriors in the volcanoes and only thrive there.

Bunnymen are mean tho. Its not a shame to die to them. They're JERKS.

1. Hiiii I suggested that. In this exact thread. 

2. Hounds really shouldn't exist there(it is the "mouth" of a volcano and I cant see a dog climbing). Some new enemy that just has periodic attacks would be cool though. 

3. I'm not a fan of "hey this boss is X but with Y", but the basilisk like concept sounds awesome. 

4. Sounds like you just suggested a beefalo variant of the Dragoons haha. Actually not bad. 

5. Spiders are overused though. They're the flagship enemy of Don't Starve and have quite a few variants already.

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Bunnymen are mean tho. Its not a shame to die to them. They're JERKS.

1. Hiiii I suggested that. In this exact thread. 

2. Hounds really shouldn't exist there(it is the "mouth" of a volcano and I cant see a dog climbing). Some new enemy that just has periodic attacks would be cool though. 

3. I'm not a fan of "hey this boss is X but with Y", but the basilisk like concept sounds awesome. 

4. Sounds like you just suggested a beefalo variant of the Dragoons haha. Actually not bad. 

5. Spiders are overused though. They're the flagship enemy of Don't Starve and have quite a few variants already.

Seriously, even i am not that pro vegertarian.

1. I read it somewhere, didn't realise it was this thread. Thanks!

2. I didn't mean them to be hounds, just hound-like (like the worms).

3. Thanks! I was thinking that they haven't introduced bosses that aren't giants in a LONG time. So i suggested it.

4. I had that in my mind. Water beefalo are so hard to find and are nearly useless, and the lizard is tougher (more or less) than a beefalo. And camouflage!

5. Yeah, it's a last resort. And hey, they deserve some more love. And this spider doesn't attack. So it could just as easily be another mob.

1 hour ago, Prakhar said:

Seriously, even i am not that pro vegertarian.

1. I read it somewhere, didn't realise it was this thread. Thanks!

2. I didn't mean them to be hounds, just hound-like (like the worms).

3. Thanks! I was thinking that they haven't introduced bosses that aren't giants in a LONG time. So i suggested it.

4. I had that in my mind. Water beefalo are so hard to find and are nearly useless, and the lizard is tougher (more or less) than a beefalo. And camouflage!

5. Yeah, it's a last resort. And hey, they deserve some more love.

Technically though, what seperets a boss from a giant?

If anything, Quacken is a boss, not a giant. 

17 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Technically though, what seperets a boss from a giant?

If anything, Quacken is a boss, not a giant. 

Hm...i guess quacken is a boss after all.

I just define bosses as those that you have no part in spawning. Like Deerclops, sealnado, etc.

My bad.

3 hours ago, Prakhar said:

Hm...i guess quacken is a boss after all.

I just define bosses as those that you have no part in spawning. Like Deerclops, sealnado, etc.

My bad.

It feels like what seperets a giant from a boss is honestly just the fact that giants are seasonal.

Tiger Shark can be encountered all year, but the biggest chance and where you can 100% spawn her, is on Flood Season, so she's seasonal.

sealnado and the RoG giants and Deerclops are also fitting for that criteria. But quacken isn't. 

29 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

It feels like what seperets a giant from a boss is honestly just the fact that giants are seasonal.

Tiger Shark can be encountered all year, but the biggest chance and where you can 100% spawn her, is on Flood Season, so she's seasonal.

sealnado and the RoG giants and Deerclops are also fitting for that criteria. But quacken isn't. 

yeah, but quacken is rare. I  never go trawl hunting. So, i shouldn't be that easy. And the mother dragoon or whatever is only on full moons when 10 dragoons are killed INSIDE the volcano. And it will be hard, albeit not a giant.

agree it would be more fun if it was harder. Maybe needs a volcano boss or something that shows up unexpectedly. Or maybe increase the heat so its like summer level hotness every season. That would make it harder cause you have to be prepared with summer stuff when going to the volcano.

Archived