Make compasses useful

Compass is a useless item. I can normally ignore it, or maybe craft it once to get the prototype sanity boost. But in SW, I keep getting more from trawling, which is annoying since it is a waste of space.

Here are couple of suggestions to make them useful, or at least solve the trawl net getting you 2 compasses per use problem:

• Make them limited use items which give a better estimate on how soon the eruption will come (based on magnetic waves).
  • Make them limited use items that help discovering items in the map, such as volcano, yaarctopus (maybe he's sitting on top of a pile of magnets), or maybe even wrecks.
  • Make them a component in a limited use item that accomplishes something meaningful. Possibly one of the above, or a new boat attachment that increases map reveal range or something.
  • Make them sacrifice-able to mother of dragoons (otherwise known as the volcano altar of snackrifice). They would count as trinkets, right?
  • Remove them from the loot list of trawl net and replace them with rocks. Rocks are at least useful. Or gold nuggets, which are event more useful.

I'm sure people will have even more suggestions.

13 minutes ago, stl1234 said:
  • Make them limited use items which give a better estimate on how soon the eruption will come (based on magnetic waves).
  • Make them limited use items that help discovering items in the map, such as volcano, yaarctopus (maybe he's sitting on top of a pile of magnets), or maybe even wrecks.
  • Remove them from the loot list of trawl net and replace them with rocks. Rocks are at least useful. Or gold nuggets, which are event more useful.

This ^

I really like this idea since now compass is just useless - and it's a waste of potential for an interesting item.

26 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

This ^

I really like this idea since now compass is just useless - and it's a waste of potential for an interesting item.

It isn't completely useless; when you examine it your character will tell you what direction your camera is facing (though I don't really see the point so i kinda agree)

2 hours ago, RyanandLink said:

It isn't completely useless; when you examine it your character will tell you what direction your camera is facing (though I don't really see the point so i kinda agree)

That's only helpful in DST for giving directions to friends.

I think making it a sacrificeable item or having it removed from the trawl net loot list would be the best ideas

It was probably intended for treasure hunting. I hear they meant to make it a sort of riddle rather than a "go to X" fetch quest. 

On another note I'm really digging the new treasure chest loot. 

The simplest solution would be to allow us to hammer it down for some of its components.

I'd like it if you could link a compass to always point to a specific sign or point on the map, and having an on-screen arrow when the compass is in the hand slot that points you to the location.

It isn't a change that could actually affect gameplay a lot, but it would save on having to constantly tab in and out of the map screen to know where your destination is in relation to you.

On 29.2.2016 at 9:09 PM, stl1234 said:

I really like your ideas, especially this one! We've discussed how difficult it is to find the volcano and Yaarctopus ad nauseam on these forums. There's been many good suggestions such as finding the locations via treasure maps, but I think this one is actually a better solution because it kills two birds with one stone. I was actually fully expecting the compass to have new and improved functionality in Shipwrecked. It surprises me that they haven't done anything with it yet.

Old post but very valid as it was when it was made.  Would change things up quite a bit knowing we can get these for discovering the map with a bit more certainty, even if it's a slightly more involved process than just using a crafted compass (like a connect the dots mini-game we play for whales and koalefants)

1 hour ago, Cadwyr said:

How about the compass guides you to the nearest island when exploring on the water... Just points a direction and has little durability (wears out quickly)

ooh...

That's actually pretty cool, as long as you mean unexplored island.

On 2/29/2016 at 8:09 PM, stl1234 said:

Really like this one...

On 3/20/2016 at 11:12 PM, WillPwn4Food said:

Even if we could hammer them to get the gold back, that would be helpful. I have three compasses I'm considering throwing the lure plant. 3 gold nuggets instead would be nice

Also a nice suggestion 

Archived