5 Changes for the new Release the Quacken Update

Thank you Klei and Capy for all your great work on this Update,

it made a lot of stuff better (Warlys new dishes and his 8 slot Chef Pouch are great, it helps him as a character a lot)

That beeing said, there are a few things that could get changed a bit, to make Shipwrecked as good as possible.

1. Walanis Sailboard

2765061_1_O.jpg

- she should get the ability to craft a better mid/late game board that has a sail slot

- it can be combined with all sails (except iron wind)

- that would make her board the fastest thing in the sea and players could choose if they want to have:

staying power - Armored Boat

speed - Sail Surfboard

storrage - Cargo Boat

- the speed would actually be a good reason to use her, even on day 100+

- Sailboard + Feather Sail + wave riding = FUN

2. The Quacken

(Lord_Battal)

- at the moment that Boss is very easy to kill, even without armor and only with an axe

- it has only 1000 health! (Tiger Shark has 2500 and Sealnado has 3000, Water Beefalo has 500 and Whales have also 500)

- please make the head more dangerous, perhaps allow her to use a melee bite attack with her beak

- make the Oil Spit a bigger factor,  maybe she shoots multiple bubbles at once, or she does it more frequently

- have her teleport more often, since this is her only form of movement

- she also should drop something special to her, something like her:

Quacken Beak - can be used to craft:

Battering Ram (Quackering Ram)

- can be put in the cannon/lamp slot of your boat

- you will do a high amount of damage if you ram into enemys with your boat

- will give your boat + 100 additional durabilty when equipped

- the Quackering Ram could be balanced, by losing durability while you ram in things (mobs, Coral Reefs, etc.) or your ship will loose durability if you ram stuff...maybe even both?

- the durability loss could depend on how much max. health enemys have? (if you ram Jellyfishes you will loose way less durability, as when you ram into the Tiger Shark or White Whale)

Oil Gland - can be used to craft:

Oil Thrower

- is a weapon that shoots in an arc and has an splash/AOE effect on impact (like the Quacken oil attack)

- it does no damage, but slows all creatures in the AOE area down (50-70% speed loss for 10-20 seconds)

- the oil will linger in the area (oil puddle) for 10 seconds and enemys will be drenched in oil

- the oil can be ignited with a torch (fire dart, fire staff, etc.) and deals a lot of fire damage in an explosion

- the weapon has 10 uses, but can be refueled with Bottles of Oil

- you can fill empty bottles with the lingering oil (oil puddles) in the water (from the Quacken oil attack)

- so you can "harvest" oil in the boss fight, you can also find oil puddles rarely if you kill Floaty Boaty Knights

- Snake Oil may or may not be used to refuel the Oil Thrower

At the moment...

Tiger Shark drops: Gills and Eyes of the Tiger

Sealnado drops: Turbine Blades and Magic Seal

Quacken drops: a Chest and a Backback that looks like a Chest

(Please Klei and Capy, make the Quackering Ram and The Oil Thrower possible)

3. Snakes

(rezecib)

- snakes drop now:

Monster Meat (33%), Snake Skin (16%), Snake Oil (0.33%)

- so there drop rate was nerfed, I like that

- but some recipes (especially the snakeskin rug) should be updated to reflect the lower drop rate

4. Woodlegs

- he is a very cool character, but there are some problems with him

- it is impossible for him to die, he has a permanent Life Jacket effect and will respawn every time he dies on sea

- so if you think you die by: monsters, hunger, sanity, heat, etc. just hop on your boat and you will respawn without a big penalty

- when he respawns he has enough material to craft a log raft and that makes him "invincible" again

- in my opinion that perk should be removed completly, I suppose it is quiet hard to swim with 2 wooden legs after all

5. The Sea Legs (The new Pirate Ship)

- I love the idea of Woodlegs own pirate ship!

- but that thing is as slow as a log raft, if you try to fight more than 3 Sharx (Sea Hounds) you die

- if you try to flee from Sharx, Swordfish, Stink Rays, Tiger Shark, etc. you will also die, because they are way faster than you

- if you craft it, it should keep its unlimited pirate cannon (if it is to OP for your taste, it could be reloaded with coconuts)

- but there is no reason why that old, rundown ship has the same durabilty as the Armored Boat (both have 500) it should only have 300 durabilty

- now the speed, if you craft the boat, it shouldn't have a sail (like all other ships), but only its ship's mast (he has to row and it will only have log raft speed)

- but you can craft the Pirate Sail with an Alchemy Engine:

4x Cloth - for the sail

2x Bone Shards - for the cross bones

6x Charcoal - for the blackness

- it has the speed bonus of the Snakeskin Sail (25%)

- it lasts for 5 days (Snakeskin sail lasts 4 days)

- can be repaired with a Sewing Kit

- is the only sail that can be used on his "Sea Legs" (because its a Pirate Sail for a Pirate Ship of corse)

With these changes the ship can actually be used to explore the map (without going insane by its log raft speed) and to survive sea combat (against Sharx), it even will remain usefull, if you could craft a Cargo- or Armored Boat, because of its cannon.

I would also love it if Quacken dropped a unique Tentacle Spike that did massive damage, and possibly could be used in some unique sail requiring drops from other giants too(Tiger Shark Gills as the fabric, and the Spike as what's stopping it from flying away in the wind).

I really like all the suggestiosn here, ESPECIALLY Walani's surfobards. 

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

I would also love it if Quacken dropped a unique Tentacle Spike that did massive damage, and possibly could be used in some unique sail requiring drops from other giants too(Tiger Shark Gills as the fabric, and the Spike as what's stopping it from flying away in the wind).

I really like all the suggestiosn here, ESPECIALLY Walani's surfobards. 

Yeah some magic item that can only be crafted if you kill all 3 bosses and combine:

Quacken Tentacle, Tiger Shark Gills and Magic Seal

Would be an interesting reward for so much work. ^^

So wait the Quacken has no unique drop other then the Key? Well this is a bummer tbh considering that the bosses seems to be the best looking one in my eyes and all it really has going for her is a damn key you only need once through the entire game.

I mean sure it's a thing that's important but this basicly makes the boss irelevant once you unlocked Woodlegs so i'm all for a Unique drop from it so it's still worth going for even in the later parts of the game.

Speaking of Quacken does she have a specific season attached to her or can you just encounter her through all 4 seasons? Cause if so then the drop should be something that doesn't help in 1 season (stuff like the Hibernation Vest come to mind) but should be useable whenever you can fight her. ANd all 3 ideas sound good specialy like the idea of ramming enemys with a boat and the Oilthrower.

Otherwise i agree on the other things although i can't say much about Woodlegs cause i want to unlock him the old fashion way even if it will drive me just as insane as unlocking Wilbur did.

6 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

So wait the Quacken has no unique drop other then the Key? Well this is a bummer tbh considering that the bosses seems to be the best looking one in my eyes and all it really has going for her is a damn key you only need once through the entire game.

I mean sure it's a thing that's important but this basicly makes the boss irelevant once you unlocked Woodlegs so i'm all for a Unique drop from it so it's still worth going for even in the later parts of the game.

Speaking of Quacken does she have a specific season attached to her or can you just encounter her through all 4 seasons? Cause if so then the drop should be something that doesn't help in 1 season (stuff like the Hibernation Vest come to mind) but should be useable whenever you can fight her. ANd all 3 ideas sound good specialy like the idea of ramming enemys with a boat and the Oilthrower.

Otherwise i agree on the other things although i can't say much about Woodlegs cause i want to unlock him the old fashion way even if it will drive me just as insane as unlocking Wilbur did.

Quacken is essentially a bunch of chests as loot. Walking Cane be found there, as well as more stuff. But I agree with you on her needing a unique drop.

Adding a sail to a surfboard seems kind of silly, though. But I like the other suggestions, and I agree 100% with Quacken. Way too easy to kill, since I killed that sucker with nothing but a spear. All I had to do was get away from the waves a few times to repair my boat, then it was fine sailing from there (no pun intended).

Just now, AnonymousKoala said:

Quacken is essentially a bunch of chests as loot. Walking Cane be found there, as well as more stuff. But I agree with you on her needing a unique drop.

Ohh so it's similar to the Ancient Guardian? Like you kill her and she drops a chest with the loot in it? Well that's somewhat cool but still even the Ancient got a unique drop and just let her drop a bunch of random stuff i may or may not have a use for is somewhat dissapoiting. Also it would break the usual cycle of the DS Giants because every giant got an item you can only get from him so having 1 that just drops random stuff is no0t in the vein of the idea of Giants.

Just now, Mr.P said:

Ohh so it's similar to the Ancient Guardian? Like you kill her and she drops a chest with the loot in it? Well that's somewhat cool but still even the Ancient got a unique drop and just let her drop a bunch of random stuff i may or may not have a use for is somewhat dissapoiting. Also it would break the usual cycle of the DS Giants because every giant got an item you can only get from him so having 1 that just drops random stuff is no0t in the vein of the idea of Giants.

Yup, I agree. I love my random stuff, but unique drops are better every time pretty much. 

Love the ideas, especially the oil thrower! Imagine luring sharx into it and then setting it on fire. Battering ram seems decent as well, but i don't know if it would not make gathering food too easy (all these jellyfishes killed in one hit).

1 minute ago, magia said:

Love the ideas, especially the oil thrower! Imagine luring sharx into it and then setting it on fire. Battering ram seems decent as well, but i don't know if it would not make gathering food too easy (all these jellyfishes killed in one hit).

Yeah a valid point, however the one thing almost impossible to do in Don't Starve... is to actually Starve, hence the name? :p

1 minute ago, magia said:

The Quackering Ram could be balanced, by losing durability while you ram in things (mobs, Coral Reefs, etc.)

Or your ship will loose durability if you ram stuff...maybe even both? ^^

Just now, Luponius said:

Yeah a valid point, however the one thing almost impossible to do in Don't Starve... is to actually Starve, hence the name? :p

Can't argue with that.  Perhaps as HeilerderWelten mentioned, loosing durability is nice way to balance it (and so obvious I'm wondering now why didn't thought about it earlier).

6 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

It's ink not oil so the fire damage doesn't make much sense.

Makes sense, that being said, the Quackens spit attack slows ships down, why slows ink ships down...or oil

and it is a chimera of a giant squid and a duck...so maybe it can spit oil? Who knows. ^^

At the end the only important thing is, that stuff explodes! ^^

11 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

Makes sense, that being said, the Quackens spit attack slows ships down, why slows ink ships down...or oil

and it is a chimera of a giant squid and a duck...so maybe it can spit oil? Who knows. ^^

Hey it's a duckheaded octopus.  Spit oil?  Fly on pig tears? Cradle your gentle nightmares to sleep?  It's pawsible.

Hahaha, quackering ram...

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

I mean, ducks can be oily anyways, right? And I definitely think snake oil should be able to be used as fuel for the oil thrower since it's such a rare drop anyways and IT HAS NO PURPOSE UGH.
Fingers crossed for sailboard and new weapons; the slow would be so great for sea hounds.

On 26.2.2016 at 7:16 PM, ruthlace said:

Hahaha, quackering ram...

I mean, ducks can be oily anyways, right? And I definitely think snake oil should be able to be used as fuel for the oil thrower since it's such a rare drop anyways and IT HAS NO PURPOSE UGH.
Fingers crossed for sailboard and new weapons; the slow would be so great for sea hounds.

I like the joke that snake oil is useless in DS (like in reality), but it would be predestined to fuel the Oil Thrower I guess *laugh*

12 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Actually, the no drowning perk for Woodlegs could be added to the Sea Legs, thus giving you a reason to keep it

Could be a use for the Sea Legs sure, that beeing said, I would rather prefer to explore with his Pirate Ship the world (if its speed get buffed by a craftable sail or something else), but I fear, when his Sea Legs works as a:

Life Jacket + the unlimited cannon + 500 durability + he spawns with it, adding speed to that thing would be way to strong.

If I would try to balance his ship, it would look like this:

Sea Legs

- 300 durability (at the moment it has the same as Armored Boat, 500)

- unlimited Boat Cannon (consumes 1 coconut from your inventory per shot)

- log raft speed (starts without a sail)

- but he can craft the Pirate Sail with an Alchemy Engine:

4x Cloth - for the sail

2x Bone Shards - for the cross bones

6x Charcoal - for the blackness

- has the speed bonus of the Snakeskin Sail (25%)

- it lasts for 5 days (Snakeskin sail lasts 4 days)

- can be repaired with a Sewing Kit

- is the only sail that can be used on his "Sea Legs" (because its a Pirate Sail for a Pirate Ship of corse)

- no life jacket effect with his boat or with him

That would be my favourite Sea Legs Version for Woodlegs.

In this way the ship can be used as an actual ship to explore the world and not only as a slow cannon turret, that you put in a "lake" to shoot at Sharx, Hounds, etc. that can't reach you in your save lake.

Do you guys agree with this person 

I don't 

26 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Yeah, we're here :)
If I'm honest, it feels like the Quacken drops enough stuff already. I mean, that booty bag is kinda OP in my opinion. Couldn't you just get a load of them and have a dubloon farm? You could get a gold nugget a day just from killing 3 Quackens that way.

Also, it feels like the Quacken is meant to be the equivalent of a spider queen or a Warg in RoG, as it isn't a seasonal giant and has very little health. So unless there's gonna be an even bigger version of the kraken (octo-puss anyone?) that spawns in calm season, the kraken bosses don't really need a special drop; or at least not one as powerful as the eyebrella or iron wind.

I'm more concerned about the fact that the Quacken - which is obviously meant to resemble a duck - looks and sounds nothing like a bird at all, save the beak. Hell, IT'S NOT EVEN A DUCK BILL! They could've at least given it tiny legs that you can only see when it flops over after dying, like they did with the bigfoot with his brain.

8 hours ago, aukingiii said:

Do you guys agree with this person 

I don't 

I do :)

Anyway, that's not to say that the Quicken couldn't be made more powerful and/or seasonal. Then I could see the huge number of new items people have suggested to drop as justifiable.

But as it stands, it spawns like a Warg and fights like a giant tentacle, so I think 1 unique item is enough.

On 2/26/2016 at 7:54 AM, cece said:

Adding a sail to a surfboard seems kind of silly, though. But I like the other suggestions, and I agree 100% with Quacken. Way too easy to kill, since I killed that sucker with nothing but a spear. All I had to do was get away from the waves a few times to repair my boat, then it was fine sailing from there (no pun intended).

Why is it silly? Have you not heard of wind surfing?

Archived