Kiting/Fighting Sea Hounds at sea.

Normally I'm pretty good at kiting enemies, but I'm finding Sea Hounds a bit tricky. Since boats take a moment to accelerate the damnable things get a moment to chomp a bit off my boat between hits.

Should I build ranged weapons or something to deal with them? I'm not keen on carrying too many weapons when I'm normally just fine with melee.

Well, later in the games, there is a few option to deal with hounds: 

Sea hounds: As soon as you see them coming, get to the shore, you can use the 2 hit then run kite methods. Using any kind of weapon are fine.  Some island have a pool in the middle of them, build a row boat and install a cannon in them and shoot them to dead. One time when i was chased by sea hounds i stumbled to a tigershark and it killed all of the hounds in matter of seconds. 

Hounds: Find yourself a herd of Apes, hounds will be distracted if they chased you for too long and start attack them. Apes Hut are easily built back, Spider dens can't caught on fire. I find using Wild Boar fight them is a little bit risky and pig skins are valuable resource, it will most likely be eaten by the hounds or the wild boar house caught fires. 

Alternatively, you can have a boat, install a cannon and let the normal hound spawns, shoot them with cannon from the sea will be easy enough ( i think )

Kiting on a boat is the hardest thing i have ever seen in this game because of acceleration. You dont have a constant speed. your boat accelerates from 0 velocity to the maximum velocity over time. It is not like walking on the land with a constant speed as soon as u press w-a-s-d keys.

Klei should nerf their stunlock. I mean come on 3 of them can easily stunlock you and kill in no time which does not make sense. Even if you got repair kit u cannot use it and they constantly bite you (you can escape from 3 hound bite but no way u can escape from 5 hound bite if all are able to bite you. )

in late game they will stunlock you to death. there is no way to kite tons of sea hounds. It is just like 9 hounds attacking you.. If you can kite this which is impossible) you can kite sea hounds too. So in late game even in middle game with 4-5 sea hounds don't bother attacking them with boat. what you should do is. If you are really far from any island sail as long as you can and never turn back. If they get distracted and u got only one or two sea hound on ur tail eliminate them. if you are close to island sail parallel to the island. This will make them swim really close to shore. When they can be attacked with a melee weapon from island quickly disembark equip your melee weapon hit to the one who is too close to island that will attract all of them to same spot. they will accumulate in same place. at that point just hit with a melee weapon from island and kite. hit once and kite till all of them are dead.

another idea is to mark ballphin locations and sail there when attack is coming. Water beefalos are pretty good defenders too but even rarer than ballphins so it is really hard to find them in the middle of nowhere. Also don't rely on them too much as they will extinct.. Klei should introduce some kind of sea hound traps just like tooth traps. otherwise only options are either attacking with a melee weapon or trying to distract them with other sea mobs.

Speargun can be used agains them but speargun is too expensive and that does not kill even one of them which makes this item really useless IMO.

Most solutions provided seem to point out a gap in naval combat. How about the equivalent of a tooth trap but at sea?

For example we would be able to setup a few nets that can temporarily stun the hounds when they're brought to them allowing us to attack them and chip away health without feeling gimmicky/exploitative.

It requires resource gathering, trap setting and kiting into the traps. An involved mechanic which doesn't leave us completely powerless without eliminating the threat of Sea Hounds.

2 hours ago, Gingerbread said:

Klei should introduce some kind of sea hound traps just like tooth traps.

Ditto! I really hope something like this is coming. Or a more manoeuvrable battle ship. It would certainly make sea battle a more desirable option as opposed to just rely on fighting hounds on land.

But seriously from what i see price performance ratio sucks for speargun or any ranged weapon (since it is ranged it should have some downside but what is this?). You can only use it once and too expensive (lets say 2-3 times since they do 2x to 3x damage of a melee weapon). Just like blowdarts and all dart crap (they are always useless). Think about that you can make a melee weapon with same effort which u can use it 150 times. But same price only 1 time use range weapon... I mean cmon klei. You know that these items are really useless if you are not wickerbottom in RoG where you can find reed field trap by luck. Or use thrawl net forever to get jellyfish which puts even more effort to craft just a single damn speargun and problem is alive jelly fish is not stackable as far as i remember. With the resources and time spent in this activity I can get 10 cutlass supreme instead of making decent amount of speargun. I don't really think anyone really bothers making tons of speargun... at least make it 3 times use

these ranged items are just late game activities when you got nothing to do stock bunch of them to attack whales and such for fun.

8 hours ago, Gingerbread said:

Klei should nerf their stunlock. I mean come on 3 of them can easily stunlock you and kill in no time which does not make sense. Even if you got repair kit u cannot use it and they constantly bite you (you can escape from 3 hound bite but no way u can escape from 5 hound bite if all are able to bite you. )

Why on earth would you try to tank (or kite) 3-5 Sea Hounds? They are dangerous creatures, it makes perfect sense that you can't win a head-on fight. I'm all for having multiple ways to deal with all threats, but come on, the brute force approach of being able to just tank anything isn't really adding any value to the gameplay.

I make it a point to get 5 Spearguns by day 10 in game and am always easily successful, I don't agrew they're expensive per se, just awkward to make and use since resources are: Hack bamboos, gather shells and trap fish (3 very distinct items) and their one time use is kinda silly but they're very powerful and allow you to crush non-boss opponents swiftly.

I would prefer a more challenging item to craft with less damage and uses consumeable ammunition instead. No idea what it might be but it would have a high rate of fire, accessible ammunition (such as sharpened bamboo yielding 3 per bamboo stick) and would require repairing occasionally with flint (as example to sharpen) in order to maintain high damage.

2 hours ago, Gingerbread said:

But seriously from what i see price performance ratio sucks for speargun or any ranged weapon (since it is ranged it should have some downside but what is this?). You can only use it once and too expensive (lets say 2-3 times since they do 2x to 3x damage of a melee weapon). Just like blowdarts and all dart crap (they are always useless). Think about that you can make a melee weapon with same effort which u can use it 150 times. But same price only 1 time use range weapon... I mean cmon klei. You know that these items are really useless if you are not wickerbottom in RoG where you can find reed field trap by luck. Or use thrawl net forever to get jellyfish which puts even more effort to craft just a single damn speargun and problem is alive jelly fish is not stackable as far as i remember. With the resources and time spent in this activity I can get 10 cutlass supreme instead of making decent amount of speargun. I don't really think anyone really bothers making tons of speargun... at least make it 3 times use

these ranged items are just late game activities when you got nothing to do stock bunch of them to attack whales and such for fun.

To be honest I usually make a stack of spearguns because I'm too afraid to fight sealnado in melee range. The price itself wouldn't be that bad if gathering bamboo would take less time than it does.

@Gingerbread as much as I agree about the high cost of darts & spearguns, there is an exception: Krampus and Varg are very susceptible to sleep darts, so a little preparation can save your life or supplies in an emergency.  Not really enough to recommend using these things on a regular basis, though.

As for sharx... would a poison spear make them more manageable?  I will have to experiment.

Just now, TemporaryMan said:

@Gingerbread as much as I agree about the high cost of darts & spearguns, there is an exception: Krampus and Varg are very susceptible to sleep darts, so a little preparation can save your life or supplies in an emergency.  Not really enough to recommend using these things on a regular basis, though.

As for sharx... would a poison spear make them more manageable?  I will have to experiment.

Poison spear...

How didn't I think of that?

A poison bomb thing would be better though. Something that spreads the gas over a wide area, and poisons anything that steps in it. Obviously it'd dangerous because it could poison you, but it would encourage some interesting playstyles when coupled with a gas mask, such as clearing a spider den using the gas or using it to slow the sharks down and make them more manageable.

3 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Poison spear...

How didn't I think of that?

A poison bomb thing would be better though. Something that spreads the gas over a wide area, and poisons anything that steps in it. Obviously it'd dangerous because it could poison you, but it would encourage some interesting playstyles when coupled with a gas mask, such as clearing a spider den using the gas or using it to slow the sharks down and make them more manageable.

A poison bomb would be so handy. Alternatively, maybe it could be something attached to the back of a boat that would leave a small trail, being extra effective against anything chasing you... Like a Singed backpack of sorts?

Otherwise I'm hoping on piranha style bee mines and blowfish tooth traps~

Archived