OverrideItemSkinSymbol

Okay, after all that time of modding we know what parameters mean in OverrideSymbol:

owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol(swap_symbol_name, swap_build, swap_folder_name)

But now Klei added more complicated function to the game (without lua sources) :

owner.AnimState:OverrideItemSkinSymbol( swap_symbol_name, skin_build,  swap_build, item.GUID, swap_folder_name )

How it works?

I see that takes skin_build and swap_build at the same time. Why? Then it takes GUID of object. Why? Is not it just a vitalization of the skin? Then it takes folder_name. Which build is used to search that folder name? Should it be the same in both builds? Are there additional conditions for item to be compatible with Klei's and/or custom skins?

• Developer
1 hour ago, Maris said:

Are there additional conditions for item to be compatible with Klei's and/or custom skins?

Hey Maris, currently we aren't supporting this, and the recommendation would be to add stuff as it's own item or as a mod of the item itself rather than as a skin. I know Ysovuka was poking around in there trying to do something similar where he'd inject his stuff into the UI, and then when the user selected his skin, it'd spawn his item instead (which is more or less the same as adding a new item/recipe), but I don't know if he ever completed it.

On 1/22/2016 at 9:14 PM, PeterA said:

I know Ysovuka was poking around in there trying to do something similar where he'd inject his stuff into the UI, and then when the user selected his skin, it'd spawn his item instead (which is more or less the same as adding a new item/recipe), but I don't know if he ever completed it.

Yes I did get it working and am using it in a mod on the workshop.

On 22 января 2016 г. at 6:14 AM, PeterA said:

and the recommendation would be to add stuff as it's own item or as a mod of the item itself rather than as a skin

I was making my custom item and I took axe.lua as an example. I like simple examples because there are simple functions, e.g. onequip and onunequip. But in axe.lua I found new function OverrideItemSkinSymbol and strange complicated scripts. Now I see that I have just to cut it out. Thanks.