D's New and Improved Doodle Noodles

Ayyyyyy look guys I drew a Woodlegs :v

Spoiler

Woodlegs.thumb.png.102eb6495f8a3210215f4

Added a vest because I didn't think that just the striped shirt alone looked very captain-y.

Also, currently giving serious consideration to the idea of shipping Wickerbottom with Woodlegs. I'll need to see more of what his personality is like before I really do anything, though.

Currently wondering if the ship name would be Wickerlegs or Woodbottom. Probably would be Wickerlegs, since I imagine that Woodie/Wickerbottom already uses Woodbottom.

• Like 9

Been suffering art block for a week or two now. Tried to make myself do something productive tonight, but I didn't get anything really good and art block-breaking.

Spoiler

56db9a1ee85ce_WilliamCarterDoodle.thumb.

Just a crappy William Carter/dethroned Maxwell since I've been thinking about him more than usual lately.

• Like 5

Alright, looks like I'm actually managing to get around that art block some.

Over on Tumblr, the idea of a Pokemon-DS crossover is starting to get some traction. Since I was actually already thinking about such a crossover, decided I might as well jump on the bandwagon with a quick sketch before bed.

Spoiler

56dbd0508d53f_PokemonWillowWilson.thumb.

• Like 4

Just now, Mobbstar said:

I suppose the neck and shoulders are a bit awkward.

...That's what you mean, right?

I saw more error in the face. IDK. It just struck me as just being pretty bleh.

Although technically, yes. The neck is long and the shoulders are thin with really steep trapezius muscles. Hate to be that person who hides behind "it's my style", but that kinda is the way I enjoy drawing the neck and shoulders, though...

Fanfic is acceptable in this subforum, right?

I felt like trying to write something so I asked for some Willowson prompts over on Tumblr and I've got enough to keep me busy for awhile. Might as well share the results with you guys as they come along, even though I'm really rusty since I haven't written anything in awhile.

I have lots of problems with this one because it's not as Willowsony as it should've been, and I wanted to make it longer but I was also tired of looking at it and being frustrated. But here it is.

The Prompt: Willow taking care of a sick Wilson.

Spoiler

Willow darted curiously around the camp, peeking between tents and checking behind the various structures and other oddities scattered about. Most of the other survivors milled about their usual schedules, offering to help when she came across them but ultimately being unable to direct her to what she was looking for. Despite meticulously searching from one end of camp to the other, her efforts proved to be fruitless.

She finally paused near the central fire pit and gave one more glance around, hoping to see something that she had previously missed. Nothing stood out, and she sighed. “Wilson, where are you?” she muttered to herself, rubbing the back of her neck as worry began to creep onto her features.

And then she heard a small bout of coughing. She quickly traced the source to Wilson’s tent and mentally slapped herself for ignoring such an obvious hiding place, though it was highly unusual for Wilson to still be in bed so late.

The worry began to gnaw at her more fiercely when she called his name from outside and received no reply, and she cautiously pulled the flap open to look inside. She was greeted by the sight of him curled up on his bedroll, blankets pulled up to his chin and heavily rumpled from what she could only assume was a night of tossing and turning. “Wilson?” she gently called again before stepping inside.

He still refused to stir, and she knelt down beside him to lightly nudge his shoulder. That finally elicited a response from him as he jolted awake with a startled grunt.

He studied her face while his eyes adjusted, and he laid heavily back down on the straw roll that served as his pillow once he deduced who it was that had woken him. “Oh… Miss Willow…” His voice was startlingly hoarse, and Willow winced as she realized why he was still in bed. He attempted to clear his throat, but had no success. “Please don’t scare me like that.”

Though the lighting in the tent was dim, she could tell that he was paler than usual with even darker bags under his tired eyes. “Well, it’s only fair,” she remarked as she pushed a few stray hairs out of his face, taking note of the sweat that had stuck them to his forehead. “When I didn’t see you any this morning and nobody else had any idea where you were, I got pretty worried.”

Wilson gave another futile attempt at clearing his throat, which only earned him a fit of coughing. “You know I spend a lot of time in here.”

“Yes, I know,” she replied, not enjoying the reminder of her moment of anxiety-fueled forgetfulness. “But you’re not a quiet worker. When I didn’t hear anything from your tent, I assumed you were somewhere else.”

He acknowledged her thought process with a small hum, eyes closed as her fingers traced light circles on his shoulder. “Fair enough…” They sat in silence for several moments, and Willow started to think he had already fallen back asleep when he spoke again. “What time is it?”

“Almost noon.” She could see his frustration as he turned his face into the pillow roll with a groan. She rolled her eyes at his workaholic tendencies. “There’s nothing wrong with taking a sick day, Wilson.”

He turned out of the pillow just enough to speak clearly. “We don’t have time for sick days.”

“Actually, I think we’ve got plenty of time for sick days.” She patted his shoulder matter-of-factly. “In case you haven’t noticed, we’re not going anywhere any time soon.”

He sighed, clearly exhausted. “We’re not going anywhere because I’m sleeping instead of working.” He started to push himself up, but Willow held him firmly down.

“No, sir. You’re not going anywhere.” He opened his mouth to argue, but her stern expression deterred him. “You’re staying in bed today. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.” He relaxed under her hold, obviously irritated but resigned to his fate.

She knew he really was sick if he gave up that easily.

Any animosity she felt towards his stubbornness melted away and she gently laid her hand on his forehead, finding a fever just as she expected. “I’ll be back with some water.” Without waiting for a reply, she pecked him softly on his temple and rose to her feet.

Willow returned from the nearby pond with a bucket full of water, as well as a fresh bruise from a disagreement with an especially territorial frog. She approached the fire pit and placed the heavy bucket down on the ground with a grunt.

Next to the main fire pit was the crockpot, patiently waiting with a relatively fresh pile of charcoal underneath that was just asking to be lit. She poured some of the water from the bucket into the crockpot to boil into a drinkable state, and set the charcoal ablaze with some assistance from her lighter.

She picked up the bucket and turned around only to find herself face to face with the oldest member of the group, nearly soaking her with water in her abrupt halt. “Mrs. Wickerbottom! I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were there.”

“Oh, it’s quite alright, dear,” Mrs. Wickerbottom replied with a warm smile. “I should have made my presence known.” She glanced around Willow to the lit crockpot behind her. “I assume since you’re pursuing other activities that you managed to find Wilson?”

Willow nodded. “Yes, I found him. He’s gotten himself pretty sick, though.” She set the bucket back down and crossed her arms. “I’m willing to bet that he’s going to be stuck in bed for awhile.”

“Oh dear...” Mrs. Wickerbottom wrapped one arm around her chest and held her chin in thought, contemplating for several moments before responding. “Perhaps I can give him a more-or-less definitive diagnosis.” She briskly stepped towards his tent, halting directly in front of it before Willow could react.

“Wilson, I’m coming in,” she announced authoritatively with an assertive rap on the tent’s surface. An audible groan sounded from within the tent, but she looked back at Willow with a confident smile. “You watch the water, I’ll be but a moment.”

And with that, she disappeared inside the tent.

Willow could only smile and shake her head as she settled down on the log closest to the crockpot. Sure enough, Mrs. Wickerbottom had returned before the water had even begun to boil.

“I do believe that Wilson has contracted influenza,” she stated, taking a seat beside Willow. “As long as he gets a sufficient amount of rest, the symptoms should be gone within two weeks.”

“Oh, no.” Willow did not like the idea of dealing with Wilson’s complaints for two weeks. “Did you tell him? Or am I supposed to break the bad news?”

“Of course I told him.” She glanced inside the crockpot before giving Willow a knowing smile. “And he was not pleased.” She chuckled to herself over Wilson’s reaction, and Willow could only imagine that it had been rather childish. “You go and take care of him, now. I’ll watch the water for you.”

Willow stood and picked up the bucket once more, thanking the older woman before entering the tent.

Wilson was on his back now, his arms crossed and his face turned away from the tent’s opening. She stepped around him and sat down, finding his eyes clenched shut in a remarkably poor attempt at faking sleep. “I know you’re awake, you big baby.” She procured a strip of cloth from her pocket and dipped it into the bucket, ignoring the irritated stare her patient was now giving her.

“Why did you have to let her in here?” he grumbled, his voice just as hoarse as it had been before.

“Well for one thing, I greatly appreciate her help.” She rung out the cloth and began to dab his forehead. His stare softened as the cloth’s cooling effect started to take hold. “For another, you know there’s no way I could’ve stopped her, even if I wanted to.”

Wilson huffed. “She needs to keep her nose out of other people’s business.” Willow gasped lightly with an amused smile spreading across her face.

“Wilson! Be quiet,” she reprimanded, slightly surprised at his lack of gentlemanly reserve. ”You know she can probably hear you. Librarians can hear a pin drop from a mile away, you know.”

His sour mood kept him from acknowledging her attempt at humor, but he just didn’t have the energy to continue voicing his frustration. He closed his eyes and adjusted his position, propping his head against her knee with a sigh. “Okay, okay.”

Willow continued to dab with the cloth for several minutes in unbroken silence before deciding to simply lay it across his forehead. Hands now freed, she found herself absentmindedly rubbing his shoulder once again with a contented smile on her face.

She genuinely regretted that he was sick, of course, but quiet moments with only each other for company were few and far between in a group as large as theirs living so close together. When she felt Wilson lay his hand atop her thigh and begin to run his fingers across the fabric of her skirt, she knew that she wasn’t the only one of them to appreciate that aspect of their current situation.

They quietly enjoyed each other’s company, the tiny movements on those little points of contact sending waves of serenity washing over both of them. The scene was so peaceful that it was almost forgotten that one of them was sick.

And then the moment was interrupted by Mrs. Wickerbottom rapping on the tent.

She poked her head through the opening, studying the tent’s occupants for only a brief moment before speaking up. “I hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

“No, of course not,” Willow replied with the most pleasant smile she could manage, resigning herself to the role of obligatory peacekeeper.

Mrs. Wickerbottom stepped inside, a steaming bowl of something held in her hands. “I’ve been collecting and saving various herbs in preparation for times like this, and so I took the liberty of making some tea from the water you drew.” She handed the bowl to Willow, Wilson having returned to his poorly faked sleeping.

“Oh, thank you!” the fire starter returned, this time speaking truthfully. “I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.” She glanced at him, noticing a slight relaxation in his features.

“Indeed, I do believe that he will,” Mrs. Wickerbottom replied with a warm chuckle as she turned to exit the tent. “And I’ll have some stew prepared shortly for both of you.”

Willow looked down at Wilson once they were both alone again, and patted him on the shoulder. “See? She’s not so bad.”

He grunted, eyeing the bowl with a conflicted mixture of both distrust and longing. “I still wish she’d ask for permission every once in awhile.”

Willow rolled her eyes before offering her hand to help him sit up. “You’ll come to appreciate her one of these days.” She placed the bowl into his bony hands. “Bottoms up!”

• Like 1

On January 20, 2016 at 6:26 PM, DragonMage156 said:

As for Wigfrid, maybe D4 and for Wes, A6 if they arn't taken :p

Alright, I'm back on the Emoji Challenge now as an attempt to stay productive while I work through my art block. This one is just Wigfrid, but I will do Wes later. A6 is a very strange face.

Spoiler

D4.thumb.png.b460d5347d5f0e9c7a2f2ca72f0

Used this as an opportunity to continue experimenting with her clothes. She needs more Celtic knots and fur. :V

• Like 2

Sadly, the art block’s not entirely gone. But I think I might be through the worst part of it, so hopefully things can only go up.

Tonight I did some bedtime doodles of young Willow (instead of doing any of the homework that I let pile up because what is responsibility) because why not. They’re super wonky, but I’m sleepy and desperately trying to do anything other than what I’m supposed to.

Spoiler

56e5074c8891c_YoungWillow.png.5ffad1295a

So it would seem that Willow has been confirmed by Klei to be an orphan, and that’s kinda disappointing to me personally. I really wanted to imagine her as coming from a poor family with, like, ten siblings. But if Klei demands that she be an orphan, then so be it…

But who says she has to spend her entire childhood as an orphan? Applying this witch/warlock headcanon I have, what if Willow actually manages to get adopted out because another magical person finds her and adopts her?

Enter Samuel, her adoptive warlock papa. Don’t know for sure yet what elemental affinity he has, but I do know it’s not fire because reasons. So Sam starts training Willow in using magic and makes her the happiest she’s ever been.

Until plot happens, of course. :y

• Like 3

Trained in magic, aye? Kinda like Dragon Mage :)

Spoiler

Basically, she lived in Freebirdia for a while but decided to leave and train in the forests with a real mage (kinda like a mages apprentice). She was able master fire but the other elements were difficult to learn (kinda took that from Avatar). She still has yet to learn how to summon these at will.

Oops, forgot this isn't my thread ^^'

I really, really, really don’t want to do the homework I let pile up until now, so I wasted precious hours doing a Puppetmaster Wilson instead. :V

Spoiler

56e72ad8d5a05_PuppetmasterWilson.thumb.p

I’ve been meaning to peg down a design for him since I’ve been thinking about him a lot lately. Decided to base his clothes off of his GOH skin set because I think it looks rather puppermaster-y.

Now I'm off to do all that homework…

• Like 3

Oh man, let my thread slip off the front page. :V

Kinda working out some of my ideas regarding the changes that puppetmasters and grues go through while simultaneously making a height reference for Wilson and Willow in the forms most important to my plans.

Spoiler

56f6032623c0d_WillowsonHeights.thumb.png

Tol grues are best grues. Not sure about my grue design other than that, though. :/ I’m so conflicted over the feathers because I really want to keep them, but I'm not sure how well they really fit a grue.

But this reminds me of a question I have: If a character is completely nude by design but there's nothing explicit to be seen (the character simply has no visible nipples or genitals), is that still breaking forum rules? Because that's how my current grue design is, although in this particular image her breasts and crotch are covered by her feathers anyway. I'd like to know the answer before I go posting any more drawings of my grues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dragara said:

If a character is completely nude by design but there's nothing explicit to be seen, is that SFW?

I think as long as you don't suggest anything taboo, it should be fine.

And I'm less worried about feathers not fitting the grue than about feathers not fitting Willow.

14 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

I think as long as you don't suggest anything taboo, it should be fine.

And I'm less worried about feathers not fitting the grue than about feathers not fitting Willow.

Well, it was an idea I had that I wanted to be on grues in general in my headcanon (so Charlie has them too). But you do have a point. Need to do some more design exploring.

I'm on Spring Break now and am wanting to do some stuff, but I have so many unfinished things that I can't decide which one to work on. I'm going through my files to make a to-do list, when I found this doodle of a sleepy Wilson that still amuses me (I probably was projecting my own tiredness onto him at the time). Never going to do anything more with it, so here you go. :V

Spoiler

56f6f305c7368_SleepyWilson.thumb.png.bbe

• Like 4