Share Your Base Thread

That's my base. I have a small beach south, a huge swamp(with several ol' mermies fishing for me) and a small patch of jungle northeast of the swamp.i live in the huge volcano biome(with around 45 tallbird nests southwest of my base. several spider nests level 3 across the volcano biome. I have a small place east of the beach(really close) with 10 coral rocks.

I think i'm ready for the hurricane season! I have built all the boats and have almost everything of the sea tab done!

Wish me luck.

post-696848-0-12099700-1449693598_thumb.

During the first calm season, you should travel around islands to get as many gold nuggets as you can (you need at least 4 for an Alchemy Engine). You shouldn't waste time exploring every single part of the island, instead you look for gold mines in the jungle biome or the magma piles with golden spots on the surface in the volcanic biome to obtain the gold nuggets.

While you're exploring, look for an area to set up your base. I tend to set up my main base at the boundary between the jungle biome (for my bush farm, bamboo farm and tree farm) and the beach biome (for palm trees and sand piles) so i can have most essential items readily available nearby [1]. Also, making your base as inland as possible reduces the chance of flooding (you still need to be careful as puddles of water still appear anywhere on the map).

post-696848-0-55710500-1449694580_thumb.

Gathering bamboo and hammering off every single pig houses you encounter along your way are important. Once I find a place to settle, I have the materials ready for the construction of 6-8 pig houses [2] next to my main base. I just place all of the flowers and berries I collected along the way on the floor, and the pigs will just turn them all into poop in a day or two (It will be more efficient to feed them to werepigs though).

post-696848-0-98361000-1449694574_thumb.

Having your main base near the marsh biome where 3-4 Fishermerm Huts situated [3] may be a bonus: you have a steady supply of free fish (like 10-20 every day) and plenty of green mushrooms to deal with your food problems and sanity issues during hurricane season and monsoon season. I travel back and forth to both islands to collect an insane amount of fish to make jerkies, seafood gumbo and surf n' turf for my journey.

Then you may need to set up bamboo farms [4], jungle tree farms [5] and berry bush farms [6]. I find it necessary to have a bamboo farm set up during early-to-mid hurricane season because you need to create a sandbag fort before monsoon season comes or you risk your base getting flooded. You definitely don't want your fire pits (except for chiminea), science machines and crock pots get soaked in water because they will stop working for the rest of the season! The berry bush farm is optional: I just use it as a source of poops.

post-696848-0-51643800-1449694538_thumb.

Be very careful even you are staying at your base in monsoon season. Poison mosquitoes are a pain in the ass: They 100% poison you in one hit unless you have your seashell armor on. You can stock up with yellow mosquito sacks (each heals you for 20HP) and venom glands (makes anti venom - the cure of poison) fairly easily throughout the season thanks to the the frequent spawning of mosquitoes.

Like the berry bush farms, the 4 bee boxes I set up in my backyard [7] is optional - I just want to make a stack of honey poultices so yeah.

Then the challenging part begins. When volcano season starts you hear rumbling sounds that warns you of volcanic meteor showers. You should have set up your ice maker 3000 and make yourself plenty of ice before you evacuate your main base.

Then I head to the marsh biome and set up a secondary base [8] with a chiminea, an endothermic fire pit and a crock pot. After the third or fourth wave of rumbling it starts showing lava meteor. Indeed I clear off an area [9] in the marsh biome. Even if it showers lava meteors, I have adequate spaces to dodge the attacks. Eat ceviche to cool you down in case of overheating.

post-696848-0-24896600-1449694498_thumb.

p.s. I didn't know you can dodge the meteors while you're sailing on the sea before making this thread.  :nightmare:

Then you may need to set up bamboo farms [4], jungle tree farms [5] and berry bush farms [6].

How do you keep all those farms fertilized? Just with rot? So I suppose you collect a lot of seaweed and let it rot? Because I personally find getting manure from the monkeys a bit too annoying and unreliable, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Personally I don't bother with farms at all, I don't find them necessary. I just collect seaweed and monster meat and spam meatballs. I'd probably set up a berry farm for the meatball fillers since it'd be more convenient than collecting seaweed if I knew how to do it efficiently.

One more thing - fishermen don't attack? I only encountered them once, during the volcano season and I ran away as soon as I saw them, just in case. And then I was insta-killed by a meteor so I couldn't go back and study them. So you say they are peaceful and can be farmed?

How do you keep all those farms fertilized? Just with rot? So I suppose you collect a lot of seaweed and let it rot? Because I personally find getting manure from the monkeys a bit too annoying and unreliable, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Personally I don't bother with farms at all, I don't find them necessary. I just collect seaweed and monster meat and spam meatballs. I'd probably set up a berry farm for the meatball fillers since it'd be more convenient than collecting seaweed if I knew how to do it efficiently.

One more thing - fishermen don't attack? I only encountered them once, during the volcano season and I ran away as soon as I saw them, just in case. And then I was insta-killed by a meteor so I couldn't go back and study them. So you say they are peaceful and can be farmed?

Even better, they fish for you! :D

No, the fishermerms don't attack you

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Fishermerm

The wikia has already all the information that you may want to know about don't starve Shipwreked

If you play as Wendy you can slay those monkey every day very easily, giving you an unlimited supply of bananas, meat, and manure.

Use rots on grass turfs, bamboo patches and viney bushes and manure on berry bushes.

You can get manure from pig farms - Just feed them flowers and berries you collected along the way (2 to 3 stacks should be enough). If you don't have enough pigs, you should not feed them until full moon - The werepigs eat all of them almost instantly and you get 40-60 poop.

I use poop as a fuel source (either to start a fire or to make ice) so I can be less dependent on wood :o Although I don't make meatballs, I think it will be more cost-efficient to use ice cubes as fillers (Ice maker 3000: 1 manure in, 3 ice cubes out).

Fishermerms are passive mobs - They don't attack you (even if they are provoked). The normal merms will aggro on you if you get too close to their hut (not the merms themselves).

You can have a look at my video:

That's my base. I have a small beach south, a huge swamp(with several ol' mermies fishing for me) and a small patch of jungle northeast of the swamp.i live in the huge volcano biome(with around 45 tallbird nests southwest of my base. several spider nests level 3 across the volcano biome. I have a small place east of the beach(really close) with 10 coral rocks.

I think i'm ready for the hurricane season! I have built all the boats and have almost everything of the sea tab done!

Wish me luck.

Don't dig up magma piles or you'll regret it  :joyous:

Don't dig up magma piles or you'll regret it  :joyous:

In fact, they were magma piles where my twig farm is, i dug them up and got lucky, so i was happy.

I know what happens when you dig them up :p i had to gather a **** ton of gold to do my lightning rods+birdcage.

In fact, they were magma piles where my twig farm is, i dug them up and got lucky, so i was happy.

I know what happens when you dig them up :razz: i had to gather a **** ton of gold to do my lightning rods+birdcage.

In another game I set up my base next to the magma piles like you did. During the first hurricane season, Inflammable objects like twigs blown by the strong wind were ignited by the erupted piles and spread fire to my base  :hopelessness:

Good luck  :nightmare:

I use poop as a fuel source (either to start a fire or to make ice) so I can be less dependent on wood :o

Why don't you use straw rolls? There is currently nothing to beat them in terms of efficiency and are surely easier gathered than than poop.

- Gather 40-80 flowers. (also good for your sanity of corse)

- Gather 4 Monster Meat. (snakes, spiders)

- find a Pig Man. (Wildboar)

- put the 40-80 flowers on the ground.

- feed the Wildboar the 4 Monster Meat.

- it will transform and eats all flowers in less than 30 seconds and will give you for every flower 1 manue

- collect 40-80 Manue (you can also kill the Werepig to get 1 skin and 2 meat)

In another game I set up my base next to the magma piles like you did. During the first hurricane season, Inflammable objects like twigs blown by the strong wind were ignited by the erupted piles and spread fire to my base :hopelessness:

Good luck :nightmare:

Just put sandbags around the magma piles. I didn't try it, but I read that it works.

Why don't you use straw rolls? There is currently nothing to beat them in terms of efficiency and are surely easier gathered than than poop.

Straw rolls? For real?  :eek2:

Actually once i had my berry farm, I could gather a stack of berries every 2-3 days easily :o

// Edited: I just checked wiki. Fuel value: 4 poops = 1 straw roll (9 grass)

Straw rolls? For real?  :eek2:

Actually once i had my berry farm, I could gather a stack of berries every 2-3 days easily :o

// Edited: I just checked wiki. Fuel value: 4 poops = 1 straw roll (9 grass)

That's my point there. No matter how efficient your poop farm is (which is difficult to set up) you will always be faster by just transplanting a bunch of grass and harvest it. Grass regrows faster and needs by far less fertilizer (20 harvests to 4 harvests on berry bushes).

Additionally you can stack straw rolls up to 10 which equals 40 manure so you can save up an inventory slot there.

Grass farms would make sense if we could craft a "Scythe" and farm it large-scale. As it stands it's much easier to just run around for a bit and collect a naturally growing grass which is literally everywhere, especially in SW. Same for sticks, you can collect them while exploring.

Yes she is mine :p she loves to do what i tell her to do =)!!

Btw grass and twig farms is a priority number 1, you might think hey grass is everywhere.. yes and it is scattered so to pick up 40 pieces of grass you need to waste a lot of time and if you have to travel to that location you waste even more time.

I suggest at the beggining of game once you got a shovel go and dig 40 grass and 40 twigs and pick flowers on the way. After a 100 days you will look at it and realise that you are very happy you have done it cuz it saved you tone of time. You literally need grass everywhere, ropes are used in most recepies and once you have to much grass you just stock it in the box, i use grass even for the ice machine if i dont have to much rot.

That's my point there. No matter how efficient your poop farm is (which is difficult to set up) you will always be faster by just transplanting a bunch of grass and harvest it. Grass regrows faster and needs by far less fertilizer (20 harvests to 4 harvests on berry bushes).

Additionally you can stack straw rolls up to 10 which equals 40 manure so you can save up an inventory slot there.

Now I want to abandon my berry farm and double the size of my grass farm  :hopelessness:

Archived