What do you consider early game vs. late game?

Ryla

I see people throw around the terms "early game" and "late game" a fair bit. When do you consider the transition from early to late game? Is it based on reaching a certain day? Surviving through a certain number of seasons? Building a certain structure? Having a certain set of structures present in your base? Is it when you get bored of the "survival" part of the game and start playing around with making your base cool 'cause you got the rest down pat. Just curious how everyone looks at it.

For me personally it's probably the latter. In ROG the amount of time before I'd reach certain milestones would vary, so I would consider late game once I was set up to the point where I could start doing things because I wanted to rather than I needed to do them to survive. I have not yet got to that stage in Shipwrecked. I have just entered my first spring. I'm largely still seeing what the game has to throw at me, so I'm always on my guard. No goofing around just yet.

I think that late game is when u are repeating the season cicle. In other words, survive one year. I played games when i get all what i need to survive before this cicle, but sometimes gears are so ******* lost xDDDD.

But your point is as good as mine of course.

The boundary is not clear.

IMO, late game means you no longer feel threats of death (e.g. from things like starvation, hounds attacks, temperature, lack of fuel), and begin to seek for luxuries and challenges that are not nessesary for survival.

And that's when you begin to feel bored.

I see people throw around the terms "early game" and "late game" a fair bit. When do you consider the transition from early to late game? Is it based on reaching a certain day? Surviving through a certain number of seasons? Building a certain structure? Having a certain set of structures present in your base? Is it when you get bored of the "survival" part of the game and start playing around with making your base cool 'cause you got the rest down pat. Just curious how everyone looks at it.

For me personally it's probably the latter. In ROG the amount of time before I'd reach certain milestones would vary, so I would consider late game once I was set up to the point where I could start doing things because I wanted to rather than I needed to do them to survive. I have not yet got to that stage in Shipwrecked. I have just entered my first spring. I'm largely still seeing what the game has to throw at me, so I'm always on my guard. No goofing around just yet.

No real late game as of yet. Currently to me its mostly a race until day ~60 or so to build the portal before the Volcano Season starts. Survived it once and don't rally feel like running in circles for days again.

They still got loads of work to flesh out Shipwrecked, add new monsters, new/updated biomes, season changes, late game crafting etc. so I'm sure it'll get more clear as to what the late game has to offer.

To answer your question though, I think the late/endgame to me in Don't Starve is reaching to a stage where I can safely kill bigger/giant monsters and craft their unique items/gear. Building a perfect base is another I guess, but I've never really gotten into it in my 250 hours of DS. Too much of a clutz to manage resources and structure placement.

Late Game usually refers to where you are hardly under threat. Early game is where you are very vulnerable. This is true in all RPGs and survival games, in my opinion.

I suppose Mid Game can be the barrier between both. Mid Game could refer to the struggle of trying to reach Late Game but you are not under combat threats, but rather the rest of the world. Fuel, food, sanity.

That's my take on it.

My definition:

Earlygame: Base building, setting up etc, becoming stable for every season

Late Game: I have a steady flow of food, a big farm, clothes for every season and a Meat effigy. I'm trying to build the best items in the game/ the hardest to build but I don't need them (things like the magic tab mostly)

IMO, late game means you no longer feel threats of death (e.g. from things like starvation, hounds attacks, temperature, lack of fuel), and begin to seek for luxuries and challenges that are not nessesary for survival.

And that's when you begin to feel bored.

This. As well as once I finished my main goals, which can take up to day 150 or so. Thankfully with the DLC, it's going to be raised by another 100 once they add it to the base game, good stuff.

This is really good thread and i think Klei don't know that much what is LATE GAME either

Late game vs early game:

- early game is where you NEED to do lot of stuff to survive, explore, build good base, get good source of food, get all good clothes and other stuff which is for me cane, tam, eyebrella, hibernation vest and shadow sword/armor, also explore caves/ruins for additional goodies

- late game is after all of this and you dont need to care about food, sanity, resources that much so you can do whatever you want, make bigger base, more food resources, farming stuff for future, Houndious Shootious, etc.

Late game:

- i feel like Klei needs to add more stuff for late game players (after a while you wanna make world with lots of days on it)

- from what i saw in "Rhymes with play" they NEVER seen late game probably so maybe they dont know much about it?

- for example DST: clothes, ewecus, baloons, that whirly thingy are all for early game players ... in late game you wearing armor/vest/rainsuit all the time so nobody can see your clothes anyway, also everyone has krampus sack so again everyone has same backpack and those backpack skins are useless so everyone looks the same anyway (that was purpose of clothes right? To see which Wilson is which?) and the only thing for late game is Dragonfly raid so we need MORE

- i hope we will have more "late game" stuff/things to do in SW (and in future in DST too)

No real late game as of yet. Currently to me its mostly a race until day ~60 or so to build the portal before the Volcano Season starts. Survived it once and don't rally feel like running in circles for days again.

They still got loads of work to flesh out Shipwrecked, add new monsters, new/updated biomes, season changes, late game crafting etc. so I'm sure it'll get more clear as to what the late game has to offer.

To answer your question though, I think the late/endgame to me in Don't Starve is reaching to a stage where I can safely kill bigger/giant monsters and craft their unique items/gear. Building a perfect base is another I guess, but I've never really gotten into it in my 250 hours of DS. Too much of a clutz to manage resources and structure placement.

Have you built the portal yet? I'm on about day 133 or so and considering building it. Does it take you into story mode, or just another normal map?

Have you built the portal yet? I'm on about day 133 or so and considering building it. Does it take you into story mode, or just another normal map?

Just did it, takes you to a new world. I think adventure portal is that broken ship that you find sometimes and cant do anything about it, probably will be added later on.

This is really good thread and i think Klei don't know that much what is LATE GAME either

Late game vs early game:

- early game is where you NEED to do lot of stuff to survive, explore, build good base, get good source of food, get all good clothes and other stuff which is for me cane, tam, eyebrella, hibernation vest and shadow sword/armor, also explore caves/ruins for additional goodies

- late game is after all of this and you dont need to care about food, sanity, resources that much so you can do whatever you want, make bigger base, more food resources, farming stuff for future, Houndious Shootious, etc.

Late game:

- i feel like Klei needs to add more stuff for late game players (after a while you wanna make world with lots of days on it)

- from what i saw in "Rhymes with play" they NEVER seen late game probably so maybe they dont know much about it?

- for example DST: clothes, ewecus, baloons, that whirly thingy are all for early game players ... in late game you wearing armor/vest/rainsuit all the time so nobody can see your clothes anyway, also everyone has krampus sack so again everyone has same backpack and those backpack skins are useless so everyone looks the same anyway (that was purpose of clothes right? To see which Wilson is which?) and the only thing for late game is Dragonfly raid so we need MORE

- i hope we will have more "late game" stuff/things to do in SW (and in future in DST too)

The main problem right now is the lack of giants / bosses for the late game, like the biggest enemies in the DLC are the floods and the volcanic meteors, and that's all.

I also feel like Klei should work on developing a more diversified "synergy" of the followers in game.

For example, players should be given the option to select one from a few forms of attack for Packim Baggims in a fight.

Fire type - Works on all situations: (Attack: Fire balls - Damage over time) (Defense: Fire wall - Blocks projectiles from mobs)

Water type - Works on water only: (Attack: Water gun - Flat damage) (Defense: Water jet - Generates jets on water to block the waterways)

Ground type - Works on land only: (Attack: Rain of stones - AOE damage) (Defense: Quicksand - Slows down the mobs in a small radius)

Late game vs early game:

Late game:

I have nerver seen a Krampus Sack in my game

and I played 100 hours DS (ROG), 40 hours DS (SW) and 950 hours DST.

I killed atleast 350 Krampus....Krampi.

That is not a late game item, that is an end game item.

After you got it you will die because of old age. ^^

In vanilla, at least, I'd say the early game is when you're collecting basic resources to get vital base structures set up, and the late game is when you've built a big fancy base that can supply you with all the resources you want on demand (or you have them within easy reach of the base, if you're like me and prefer small bases) with enough defenses to make attacks by hounds and giants a non-issue, and you've explored the whole surface map. The late game is essentially when your focus shifts from locating and gathering resources and finding out where everything is to something more esoteric like conquering the ruins and getting the rarest items like Krampus Sacks.

I characterise everything between the first 10-20 days and the late game as the middle game, but that's mainly because I think there's a nontrivial difference between the time when you're scrounging up parts for a science machine or a crockpot and trying to find your first spider nest for silk and the time when you're hunting for the parts to make a Bee Box or a Shadow Manipulator or other nonessential structures and items to add to your base amenities.

My DST group generally gets bored after we've been in the late game for a bit so we just reset the server after a few hundred days. Therefore we never reach the point where everyone has their own Krampus Sack. There's less late-game content in DST anyway, considering that there's no ruins and limited access to caves. (Also I think your experience with clothes is highly unusual. Most of the people I've played DST with use hats to protect against sanity loss, cold, and rain except in extreme cases, and only wear armour when there's actually something to fight. Unless they're playing as Maxwell.)

I've never actually encountered a Krampus in regular gameplay. I'd have to deliberately bait him to even have a chance of getting a Krampus Sack, and I just don't want to do that much grinding.

In vanilla, at least, I'd say the early game is when you're collecting basic resources to get vital base structures set up, and the late game is when you've built a big fancy base that can supply you with all the resources you want on demand (or you have them within easy reach of the base, if you're like me and prefer small bases) with enough defenses to make attacks by hounds and giants a non-issue, and you've explored the whole surface map. The late game is essentially when your focus shifts from locating and gathering resources and finding out where everything is to something more esoteric like conquering the ruins and getting the rarest items like Krampus Sacks.

I characterise everything between the first 10-20 days and the late game as the middle game, but that's mainly because I think there's a nontrivial difference between the time when you're scrounging up parts for a science machine or a crockpot and trying to find your first spider nest for silk and the time when you're hunting for the parts to make a Bee Box or a Shadow Manipulator or other nonessential structures and items to add to your base amenities.

My DST group generally gets bored after we've been in the late game for a bit so we just reset the server after a few hundred days. Therefore we never reach the point where everyone has their own Krampus Sack. There's less late-game content in DST anyway, considering that there's no ruins and limited access to caves. (Also I think your experience with clothes is highly unusual. Most of the people I've played DST with use hats to protect against sanity loss, cold, and rain except in extreme cases, and only wear armour when there's actually something to fight. Unless they're playing as Maxwell.)

I've never actually encountered a Krampus in regular gameplay. I'd have to deliberately bait him to even have a chance of getting a Krampus Sack, and I just don't want to do that much grinding.

The ruins are on the same level as the caves.

I have nerver seen a Krampus Sack in my game

and I played 100 hours DS (ROG), 40 hours DS (SW) and 950 hours DST.

I killed atleast 350 Krampus....Krampi.

That is not a late game item, that is an end game item.

After you got it you will die because of old age. ^^

EHM guys just let Wicker read bunch of bird and sleep books and 2-3 of you start killing birds (red/blue) and you have sacks for whole family in no time! Last server i played i wanted to "grind" Krampus in third season (around day 40) because after first two you need just make some flingos if you actually wanna stay in overworld during summer so there is not much to do anyway

You dont like grinding? PLZ try this method once ... best fun you will have in DST dude

I don't use backpacks/sack anyway so im just helping to get it for everyone else. I much rather use summer shirt/ hibernation vest so i dont need to stand next to fire all the time and actually do stuff .) or raincoat so i can wear my Tam/Moogles too

I have nerver seen a Krampus Sack in my game and I played 100 hours DS (ROG), 40 hours DS (SW) and 950 hours DST. I killed atleast 350 Krampus....Krampi. That is not a late game item, that is an end game item. After you got it you will die because of old age.

LOL You have such bad luck .______.

Archived