[Shipwrecked] Good place to settle

Hi everyone,

I started to play Shipwrecked and I love it. But I have a few question. I made a first game where I died a day 15 from sanity and I restart a game instantly and something is bothering me. I know there are new "beefalos", I don't know the new name of it, but I can't find them.

However, I think I find a good way to start the game : I rush gold to make my science machine, and buid a bigger boat and backpack. My idea is to sail quickly to map all the island on the map. But even with that, still no beefalos after 10 days.

My question is simple : are the new beefalos essential for survival (poop and protection) ? Or can I do it another way ? 

In the vanilla DS, it wasn't a big deal to don't settle near them at first, because I could move easily an near heard of beefalos, but I don't think this is possible in SW.

Thank you for your help.

Well in vanilla and RoG you can farm some teeth from hounds' den/MacTusk hunting party so tooth traps can help you instead of beef.

But in SW it is hard to find teeth, so I should correct my opinion for protection functionality of that guys. But ox party is very hard to find and they are exist in Mangrove biome also, which mean you cannot go there without ships. So you may stand against hound raid with your own or some else entities (like spiders, snakes, merms, tallbird).

My question is simple : are the new beefalos essential for survival (poop and protection) ? Or can I do it another way ?

I think farming isn't a good idea right now. The seasons in SW are very punishing and not conducive to farming.

hail, monsoon rain, flooding, volcanic rain

There are a lot of new food sources in the sea. Maybe the game is pushing is to create new strategies instead of using the one from DS/ROG? Find an island with lots of bamboo, vines, grass, and saplings and use these to make traps and nets for diff sea creatures.

I haven't found any Beefalo like creatures yet.

I started all my bases anywhere where there were spiders and decent food sources.

I have found that an OK way to get manure to start farms is to wait until monkeys start fighting snakes then destroy their evil monkey huts and grab everything while they are busy.

Beefalos in vanilla is only essential for the wool to create winter clothes. Actually there are ways to create winter clothes without wool which means that beefalos are not necessary for survival of the vanilla/RoG.

The trick to surviving is to be aware of as many alternatives to everything and keep the three stats full.

In case of Sanity you can pick up shells and build sand castles, renewable and effective. (pirate hats for travel if you can make it)

Hunger is easily satiated with seaweeds. You can complement that with limpids and crabs. ( you can use traps with monster meat bait)

Health can be restored by eating seaweed as well or other food. Thats all i know for now about health restoring.

Feeding vegetables, fruits, and flowers to wild boars(pigs for vanilla) will also give you manure. Transform them into werepigs to speed up the process(give  4 monster meat). Then kill them for 2 meat and pig skin.

A shell suit/log suit plus a machete/spear should do the trick for at least 50 days that should be more than enough to get some tooth traps or whatever is new in the SW for defense.

Now i haven't been able to reach the flood season so thats all i know. Make sure to make a snake hat, good for rain.

This is a lot of good advice, thanks everyone !

I finally found a good island, with monkeys, and gold. I was starting to settle but I cut a palm tree, and 3 palm tree guard poped and I don't know how to get rid of them. They started to rekt monkeys and all, and replant coconut doesn't seems to work.

Did someone find an effective way to deal with tree guard ?

Make an aggro-shoot of treeguard to pigs or other mobs. Then carefully hunt down one by one (They do not fight for each other. Very solitary ones). You can easily evade just 3 coconut bombing from one guard. Then get close to it and hit 5-6 times with weapon. Then evade melee claw. Repeat.

This is a lot of good advice, thanks everyone !

I finally found a good island, with monkeys, and gold. I was starting to settle but I cut a palm tree, and 3 palm tree guard poped and I don't know how to get rid of them. They started to rekt monkeys and all, and replant coconut doesn't seems to work.

Did someone find an effective way to deal with tree guard ?

So far my critical points for choosing an Island for my main base have been the following.

- How many Limpetrocks are on the Island: Mostly because Limpets are a very usefull foodsource so far and regorw quite quickly.

- How much seafood is around the island: Stuff like Mussels, Wobsters and Seaweed have so far been crucial for my survival and i try to find Islands where these sources are plentyfull.

- How much Junglearea is on the Island: Mostly because Jungletress are very usefull if just for the chance to get some Bananas or Eggs but even Snakes can be usefull for some Monstermeat for the Pot.

- Are there no Apes on the Island: Hate those guys and won't settles on any Island with them until i have a way to properly kill them off for good.

- How close is the next Spiderden: Doesn't have to be on the Island but a nearby Spiderden can be usefull for the extra silk that you will need for Nets and the likes

So mostly it's all about how many usefull ressources are around the Island. The Waterbeefalos seem interesting but so far Hounds were not much of a problem for me so you can certaintly deal with them by yourself.

well my strat went like this and its working pretty well

-find a island with LOTS of monkeys some crabs and limpets, a plus if u can get spiders as well

- cut down some jungle trees get a banana

- feed a monkey a banana (feeding 1 monkey will stop all monkeys from picking up your stuff) and tell him to fight the other monkeys, they will all go at it leaving u with a LOT of manure, morsels, bananas, and a random item ( snake skin or monster meat normally)

- 1 banana, 1 Twigs,1 ice and Filler (not meat or fish) in a cook-pot makes Bananapop gives u 33 sanity

- collect 3 crabs and 1 limpet put in cook-pot makes Seafoodgumbo, give u 40 health,

-build a bird cage give bird morsel and get eggs, put 2 eggs 1 morsel and monster meat in cook pot for bacon and eggs , get a stack and go sailing (last 20 days and with the lack of gears around this is important) 

- use manure as fuel for fire u will have heaps of it and save your wood

I have to modify this process. Evading of melee claw is quite hard because of its long range, and it hurts so bad without armour. Just got some armour sets. 

Make an aggro-shoot of treeguard to pigs or other mobs. Then carefully hunt down one by one (They do not fight for each other. Very solitary ones). You can easily evade just 3 coconut bombing from one guard. Then get close to it and hit 5-6 times with weapon. Then evade melee claw. Repeat.

well my strat went like this and its working pretty well

-find a island with LOTS of monkeys some crabs and limpets, a plus if u can get spiders as well

- cut down some jungle trees get a banana

- feed a monkey a banana (feeding 1 monkey will stop all monkeys from picking up your stuff) and tell him to fight the other monkeys, they will all go at it leaving u with a LOT of manure, morsels, bananas, and a random item ( snake skin or monster meat normally)

- 1 banana, 1 Twigs,1 ice and Filler (not meat or fish) in a cook-pot makes Bananapop gives u 33 sanity

- collect 3 crabs and 1 limpet put in cook-pot makes Seafoodgumbo, give u 40 health,

-build a bird cage give bird morsel and get eggs, put 2 eggs 1 morsel and monster meat in cook pot for bacon and eggs , get a stack and go sailing (last 20 days and with the lack of gears around this is important) 

- use manure as fuel for fire u will have heaps of it and save your wood

I put the monkeys to quarrel  :o
Monkeys are a very easy food source
How long it takes for monkeys born again? they are infinite or limited like cats? 

Hi everyone,

I started to play Shipwrecked and I love it. But I have a few question. I made a first game where I died a day 15 from sanity and I restart a game instantly and something is bothering me. I know there are new "beefalos", I don't know the new name of it, but I can't find them.

However, I think I find a good way to start the game : I rush gold to make my science machine, and buid a bigger boat and backpack. My idea is to sail quickly to map all the island on the map. But even with that, still no beefalos after 10 days.

In the vanilla DS, it wasn't a big deal to don't settle near them at first, because I could move easily an near heard of beefalos, but I don't think this is possible in SW.

Thank you for your help.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/60518-share-your-base-thread/

Placing your base near oxes (the shipwrecked version of beefs) is indeed not necessary. If you have a pig village / bee village next to your base, the mobs are good enough to protect you from the hounds

In my opinion the monkeys are troublesome, so I'll just get rid of them whenever I can

Archived