Hardcore mode

Hey guys,

i like the pvp aspect in DST quite alot but i don't see a real way to play pvp.

Because in survival you just punish yourself if you kill someone, while in Wilderness and Endless mode it is basically not really important that someone dies since they just respawn(either at the portal or at some random location) i also like the sanity loss and the haunting for a bit but not forever. This came to my mind after killing a hostile player in survival mode followed by a really long time getting haunted.

Sidenote: The entre thing could be avoided if ghosts would have some kind of counterplay. Maybe slower movmentspeed during the day or anything but as it stands you are just getting haunted till the end of day and are afraid of returning to your base with the ghost following since he can 'destroy' it.

Another thing one could possibly do to tackle the ghosts of your prey would be some kind of portable machine, which allows you to suck the ghost in and drag them somewhere. The machine would be dropped at a location and the ghost can get free after 4-5 hours(ingame).

So i think that a hardcore mode would be quite beneficial for pvp.
Basically if you kill someone they get either disconnected or they can stay as ghost for let's say 2-3 days so their teammates have time to revive them and after that timeframe they get kicked. This would punish the player who killed the otherone in some way since some sanity drain remains in the game but also would create an environment in which pvp is meaningful in some way or another.

The player that died gets a short timeban(20 mins) until he can reconnect to the server to establish a difference between endless and this mode.

It is just an idea but i am just not quite satisfied with the current gamemodes and i don't really see how else this issue could be tackled.

I hope that other players have the same issue and i am not alone with this.

Have a nice day guys :^)

Well if you don't really like the pvp in the game with the ghosts, then you don't like it is all. The game is about surviving, not trying to murder eachother over the last patch of berries. That and if someone is trolling then you as the host could just ban or kick them. If it's a dedicated server, well just hope an admin is on. The way the kicking and banning works is a little annoying since even though you can enable vote kick on dedicated servers, there is no clear way how to use it and it should be more clear to the players.

Well if you don't really like the pvp in the game with the ghosts, then you don't like it is all. The game is about surviving, not trying to murder eachother over the last patch of berries. That and if someone is trolling then you as the host could just ban or kick them. If it's a dedicated server, well just hope an admin is on. The way the kicking and banning works is a little annoying since even though you can enable vote kick on dedicated servers, there is no clear way how to use it and it should be more clear to the players.

Yeah i totally agree with your statement, it's not about slaughtering anybody for everything but this just makes it so much more frustrating that you get punished for it. And you are not going to revive someone you killed with intent or in self devense.

Also i don't dislike it i just wish for another option

Yeah i totally agree with your statement, it's not about slaughtering anybody for everything but this just makes it so much more frustrating that you get punished for it. And you are not going to revive someone you killed with intent or in self devense.

Also i don't dislike it i just wish for another option

Well I just find pvp in a survival game a horrid idea unless you can safely revive and keep your stuff without worry which I think for a game like this there should be an Arena gamemode. The gamemode would strictly make everyone the same character and give everyone the same items to fight eachother for the sake of good and balanced pvp. There would be rewards for killing other players and rewards for exploring the area giving players who do either, an advantage. The game wouldn't start either until the minimun number of players join it. and after one person is left standing, the game is declared over and will reset in about 5 min. This gamemode could house any number of people, while still focusing on pvp over survival. I feel a gamemode like this would satisfy the people who like pvp and keep people interested in pvp. This would also keep pvp induced people off some games meant for survival while keeping the game meant for survival because some people mainly join some servers for the intention of slaughtering everyone

Wilderness is PVP mode.

You get killed, you lose all your stuff (inventory, recipes), you respawn. Like all other PVP games.

Play Wilderness.

Ghosts are neat in concept, but terrible and mind-numbingly boring in practice for survival and endless, both pvp and non-pvp.

Well I just find pvp in a survival game a horrid idea unless you can safely revive and keep your stuff without worry which I think for a game like this there should be an Arena gamemode. The gamemode would strictly make everyone the same character and give everyone the same items to fight eachother for the sake of good and balanced pvp. There would be rewards for killing other players and rewards for exploring the area giving players who do either, an advantage. The game wouldn't start either until the minimun number of players join it. and after one person is left standing, the game is declared over and will reset in about 5 min. This gamemode could house any number of people, while still focusing on pvp over survival. I feel a gamemode like this would satisfy the people who like pvp and keep people interested in pvp. This would also keep pvp induced people off some games meant for survival while keeping the game meant for survival because some people mainly join some servers for the intention of slaughtering everyone

I think that doing it this way would take away most of the elements that make DST unique(gameplaywise). Why does it seem like a foreign concept if you are having the option to "safely" kill another person in a survival scenario. Becuase what you describe puts survival in the background and fighting at prio number one as far as i understand.

Also i don't think it is necessary to have a set starting point and the same character, because after all you killing is just an asset to assure you are surviving. I don't want to get a reward for killing people(other than their loot) i wish for an environment in which i don't get haunted for several hours(realtime) if you kill someone. Or atleast haunted in a way that doesn't destroy everything i built up. If it would be possible to get a ghost to not destroy everything, e.g. an "ectoplasma deflector" which you can put on your structures i would be a happy man.

Wilderness is PVP mode.

You get killed, you lose all your stuff (inventory, recipes), you respawn. Like all other PVP games.

Play Wilderness.

Ghosts are neat in concept, but terrible and mind-numbingly boring in practice for survival and endless, both pvp and non-pvp.

Pretty much agree with this statement. Something in me tells me this is also not quite what i am looking for but i cannot really disagree with it so i guess i start playing wilderness :)

Something in me tells me this is also not quite what i am looking for but i cannot really disagree with it

Wilderness is lacking the PVP reward.

You kill somebody, you get their stuff, and that's it. If they had a tam and an eyebrella, great, if not, whatever.

There are no teams or clans or objectives, or points or bonuses, or any reward at all.

No respect, no karma, no prestige.

No flag to capture, no fortress to defend.

The PVP scenario is picking Wigfrid and holding F, or getting people to help you raid a server and steamrolling everything.

As such, the only thing you do in PVP is survive, which you can do as well in non-PVP, which makes it lackluster.

Now assume there is the possibility to make sort of teams/clans. People group up, make bases.

They can't defend them from thiefs or people with hammer/torches.

And those thiefs/hammerers/torcherers don't have to invest time in the server in order to destroy everything.

Any base would be destroyed, it would be inevitable.

So instead of having established teams with combats here or there, you have people trying to build, and one guy that burns everything and leaves, leaving the former team without resources to fight and grind all over again.

Imagine DayZ, Rust, Ark, H1Z1, where any guy joining day 1 is able to punch your 9000000 health wall and destroy it in seconds.

Hey guys,

i like the pvp aspect in DST quite alot but i don't see a real way to play pvp.

Because in survival you just punish yourself if you kill someone, while in Wilderness and Endless mode it is basically not really important that someone dies since they just respawn(either at the portal or at some random location) i also like the sanity loss and the haunting for a bit but not forever. This came to my mind after killing a hostile player in survival mode followed by a really long time getting haunted.

Sidenote: The entre thing could be avoided if ghosts would have some kind of counterplay. Maybe slower movmentspeed during the day or anything but as it stands you are just getting haunted till the end of day and are afraid of returning to your base with the ghost following since he can 'destroy' it.

Another thing one could possibly do to tackle the ghosts of your prey would be some kind of portable machine, which allows you to suck the ghost in and drag them somewhere. The machine would be dropped at a location and the ghost can get free after 4-5 hours(ingame).

So i think that a hardcore mode would be quite beneficial for pvp.

Basically if you kill someone they get either disconnected or they can stay as ghost for let's say 2-3 days so their teammates have time to revive them and after that timeframe they get kicked. This would punish the player who killed the otherone in some way since some sanity drain remains in the game but also would create an environment in which pvp is meaningful in some way or another.

The player that died gets a short timeban(20 mins) until he can reconnect to the server to establish a difference between endless and this mode.

It is just an idea but i am just not quite satisfied with the current gamemodes and i don't really see how else this issue could be tackled.

I hope that other players have the same issue and i am not alone with this.

Have a nice day guys :^)

There is a mod you can use, that eliminates/reduces sanity damage when ghosts are around. 

But I agree, Klei should fix it. At least make it that the ghosts only hurt your sanity when you are close to them. Some guy dying randomly somewhere in the world shouldn't affect me. 

Also, I love that idea of the ghostbuster box, That would be such a cool mechanic.

There is a mod you can use, that eliminates/reduces sanity damage when ghosts are around. 

But I agree, Klei should fix it. At least make it that the ghosts only hurt your sanity when you are close to them. Some guy dying randomly somewhere in the world shouldn't affect me. 

Also, I love that idea of the ghostbuster box, That would be such a cool mechanic.

Honestly i think the sanity drain is not even that big of a deal, it is more the structure destruction that buggs me.

Also funny seeing you here just a few hours after playing on the same server :D

I think that doing it this way would take away most of the elements that make DST unique(gameplaywise). Why does it seem like a foreign concept if you are having the option to "safely" kill another person in a survival scenario. Becuase what you describe puts survival in the background and fighting at prio number one as far as i understand.

Also i don't think it is necessary to have a set starting point and the same character, because after all you killing is just an asset to assure you are surviving. I don't want to get a reward for killing people(other than their loot) i wish for an environment in which i don't get haunted for several hours(realtime) if you kill someone. Or atleast haunted in a way that doesn't destroy everything i built up. If it would be possible to get a ghost to not destroy everything, e.g. an "ectoplasma deflector" which you can put on your structures i would be a happy man.

Well I honestly don't like pvp in any survival game, and the reason that eveyone has to have the same character is because everyone would just play wigfrid and wigfrid is the best character for pvp.

Well I honestly don't like pvp in any survival game, and the reason that eveyone has to have the same character is because everyone would just play wigfrid and wigfrid is the best character for pvp.

Not true, Wolfgang, Webber, WX-78 and Wickerbottom if used properly can be as good or even better than Wigfrid. ESPECIALLY Wickerbottom.

The reason most people pick Wigfrid is cause she is easy to start with (that's why crap players like me use her all the time). You get your weapons right off the get-go and start killing immediately. But from then on, she doesn´t get better like the other characters and the whole eating only meat thing can really screw you over. 

Not true, Wolfgang, Webber, WX-78 and Wickerbottom if used properly can be as good or even better than Wigfrid. ESPECIALLY Wickerbottom.

The reason most people pick Wigfrid is cause she is easy to start with (that's why crap players like me use her all the time). You get your weapons right off the get-go and start killing immediately. But from then on, she doesn´t get better like the other characters and the whole eating only meat thing can really screw you over. 

Would you mind explaining how Wickerbottom could achieve this?

Would you mind explaining how Wickerbottom could achieve this?

Wickerbottom can easily acquire football helmet + log suit + spear + sleep/fire darts in two or three days.

Also, she can make blowdarts, spider salve, etc without needing a base, allowing for yet faster progression.

Lastly, her books allow her to set the environment ablaze, erect tentacles and put everything nearby asleep. It's easy to acquire those books too, if only she spends the first five or so days efficiently.[1]

Archived