Caves Testing Coming Soon!

@JoeW just answer me this:

Will we be able to go in caves whilst playing from overworld servers that were made BEFORE the cave update? Because at this point you should have a definitive answer, no?

Hey XirmiX, we're looking at an answer for you on this, but we need to work out some details. We'll get back to you with an answer when we have it. =)

I know that there is a live tonight but I had a question regarding the type of server to be used for caves. 

Previoulsy, in Rhymes With Play, you said that caves are another instance of a dedicated server, running independently from the first classic world server. As I understand it, it means we have to start 2 dedicated servers (one classic world, one for caves).

Did it mean that for now, host games by players only can't have caves ?

Thanks for your answer !

• Developer

Yup, in order to have a forest world linked with a caves world, there must be 2 dedicated servers.

Host games by players can actually create a standalone caves world. but there will be no way to connect it to a forest world.  The gameplay has not been tuned for this experience though, so it is more for testing right now.

@XirmiX, you will be able to load your existing world, however it will not have any cave entrances spawned in it.

So, in order for the game to not crash and caves be available for the older worlds, the older worlds would need the cave entrances spawned in for them. Though, I guess for the sake of not making them too convenient or make it seem as if we're cheating, I'll need to check where the entrances usually spawn in other worlds. Great to know they'll be available for old worlds too :D

I'll need to check where the entrances usually spawn in other worlds
 One spawns in mosaic, one spawns in the deciduous biome with the pig king, one spawns in a forest biome that's within a swamp biome. I believe there's another but I'm blanking on it.

One spawns in mosaic, one spawns in the deciduous biome with the pig king, one spawns in a forest biome that's within a swamp biome. I believe there's another but I'm blanking on it.

No.. that's in DS single player, not DST. In DST there will be 16 entrances, didn't you know?

Archived