The Great Gobbler Question Answered

For generations, people who have dared to peak into the code of DS have wondered, "Why does the gobbler deal 20 damage?".  Well, today, I have answered this question.  First things first, gobblers have an attack animation where they peck the target.  As far as I know, nobody has ever seen it before other than Klei.  Second of all, Gobbler was supposed to act how koalaphant does now, you hit him and he attacks.  Basically, Gobbler was supposed to run until hit, and then he'd attack you.  I suppose the devs figured it was too difficult and risky for Gobbler to do this, so now we have the monsterous friendly useless interesting abomination animal we have today.

Also, this is in DST because I found it in DST and only tested it in here.  Basically, I made Gobbler playable and found all these animations around while playing as him  Neat stuff.

EDIT: Oh god, I found out the reason for this change.  I made changes to Gobbler AI to what I believe it was, and threw in kiting AI.  Gobbler is a murderer.  He managed to kill a deerclops all by himself.  It's terrifying.  Hail to your new Gobbler Overlords.

It has an attack animation because it was originally going to be in the same calss as pigmen and merms, hence its prefab name, perd. There's actually a mod for single-player that was released recently that adds various waves like hound attacks, and it includes a gobbler wave.

I knew perd meant Pig Bird.  The hunchback model is also evidence of it going to be like others at some point, but the attack anim is a bit weird with the head being jittery.  Also, the attack is much faster than pig's or merm's, but merm is just using the pig anim with a delayed strike on it, so it's given.  However, IF Gobbler was planned to be like pig and by extension most likely use his bank, why would they give the new anims for him to attack when they decided he'd be a wild creature?

EDIT: Oh god, I found out the reason for this change.  I made changes to Gobbler AI to what I believe it was, and threw in kiting AI.  Gobbler is a murderer.  He managed to kill a deerclops all by himself.  It's terrifying.  Hail to your new Gobbler Overlords.

guess the deerclops got gobbled

I'm now sure that if a zombie apocalypse ever happens, it will be caused by an over-enthusiastic modder.

Modder: Hey, look what I did. Neat, isn't it?

Everyone: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???? *dies*

Modders are the beginning.  Modders are the end.

I, For One, Welcome Our New Gobbler Overloards.

if you don't get it, it's an old meme...

Archived