Me and my fiancé got don't starve together and have been playing it pretty much every free second we have since then and love it for the most part. HOWEVER, for some reason, it seems like we can never get a good map and end up having to play while missing some major map elements. We've yet to get a map that has a pig village, a pig king, and beefalo all on the same map. The map we are on now only has a single pig village, no beefalo, and no pig king. The last map we played on had absolutely no gears. Although we made it through winter, it required farming poop from pigs via feeding them, and heavy use of birds/bird seeds. I understand that this is a roguelike game, but I do not remember the original don't starve having as many gimped maps; and bumping up resources even a single notch on map generation tends to put TONS of it on the map.

I understand don't starve together is still in development (no caves? -_-), but does anyone else have map generation issues? Is there a way to get a decent map without causing the map to be filled with pigmen or beefalos?

And lastly, I noticed bunny hutch is in the build screen. How is it even possible to build one if there are no caves?

Great game so far and I hope the updates keep flowing!

Me and my fiancé got don't starve together and have been playing it pretty much every free second we have since then and love it for the most part. HOWEVER, for some reason, it seems like we can never get a good map and end up having to play while missing some major map elements. We've yet to get a map that has a pig village, a pig king, and beefalo all on the same map. The map we are on now only has a single pig village, no beefalo, and no pig king. The last map we played on had absolutely no gears. Although we made it through winter, it required farming poop from pigs via feeding them, and heavy use of birds/bird seeds. I understand that this is a roguelike game, but I do not remember the original don't starve having as many gimped maps; and bumping up resources even a single notch on map generation tends to put TONS of it on the map.

I understand don't starve together is still in development (no caves? -_-), but does anyone else have map generation issues? Is there a way to get a decent map without causing the map to be filled with pigmen or beefalos?

And lastly, I noticed bunny hutch is in the build screen. How is it even possible to build one if there are no caves?

Great game so far and I hope the updates keep flowing!

Just bad luck. If you want to make sure your maps have none of what you've mentioned, you can always try c_gonext("prefab") in console to instantly scoot to it.

For instance:

c_gonext("pigking")

c_gonext("beefalo")

You may want to actually set the world to it's biggest size, and make sure that it isn't on Default Plus, as this makes some resources scarce and evils more frequent.

Yeah I'm on windows 10. It really sucks because I cannot bump up the amount of anything in the game. If I decide to bump up beefalo a single notch, i end up with huge beefalo herds everywhere in grass and rock bioms, as well as in the normal bioms. Also, if I bump the clockworks up ONE notch, the game becomes nothing but a mass of those rhino things.

We play through these issues, but the first 30 minutes of any session is simply hitting restart over and over until we get a playable map.

:(

Yeah I'm on windows 10. It really sucks because I cannot bump up the amount of anything in the game. If I decide to bump up beefalo a single notch, i end up with huge beefalo herds everywhere in grass and rock bioms, as well as in the normal bioms. Also, if I bump the clockworks up ONE notch, the game becomes nothing but a mass of those rhino things.   We play through these issues, but the first 30 minutes of any session is simply hitting restart over and over until we get a playable map.  

Yep, that'll do it. Windows 10 and Don't Starve Together are not quite... friendly with each other. 

Yeah I'm on windows 10. It really sucks because I cannot bump up the amount of anything in the game. If I decide to bump up beefalo a single notch, i end up with huge beefalo herds everywhere in grass and rock bioms, as well as in the normal bioms. Also, if I bump the clockworks up ONE notch, the game becomes nothing but a mass of those rhino things.

We play through these issues, but the first 30 minutes of any session is simply hitting restart over and over until we get a playable map.

:(

That would do it, either wait for dst to be compatible with w10 or consider downgrading to 7 or 8 for the time being

Sorry, as much as I love don't starve, I own over 50 games on my PC, and this is the only one that doesn't work right on it. I'm not downgrading just for this :p It's really weird that map generation CALCULATIONS are bad on a specific operating system.. Does this game work right on mac? I could run it from there if need be.

Sorry, as much as I love don't starve, I own over 50 games on my PC, and this is the only one that doesn't work right on it. I'm not downgrading just for this :razz: It's really weird that map generation CALCULATIONS are bad on a specific operating system.. Does this game work right on mac? I could run it from there if need be.

It does work correctly on mac.

But buddy, if you think that dst is going to be the only non-functional game on windows 10, you just need to wait. Eventually most of your games are going to freak out and break/corrupt in some means.

Seriously? I have windows 10, how can it be related to world gen? Is there any official post that links Windows 10 to worlds with less stuff ? I really can't believe it.

I would say you are unlucky but I have been suffering with lack of gears / pig king recently. Although it has been the case with Windows 8 and windows 10, so I really doubt windows 10 has anything to do with it.

There's always gonna be at least 1 pig village and Beefalos. The same can't be said about the Pig king. Look around, and if you find a pig village, check if it has the pig king. If not, then follow the road leading to the pig village backwards and see if there's a pig village at the end of THAT. If there is no village at the other end of the road, well bad luck with Pig king. If there is a pig village then check if it has a pig king. If it doesn't, well bad luck. It's rare, but sometimes you can get 3 pig villages in the game. So, if you're sure your world has no pig king, generate a new world until you get one. Beefalos will always be in the game, but they won't be in the nearby small savanna where the portal is; they'll be in a different, bigger savanna, unfortunately, so you'll just have to explore more for that. Sometimes, you can ALSO get beefalos where there is a small savanna in the middle of a forest, but that's kind of a rarity.

I may be remembering this a little wrong, but I seem to recall a debate regarding increasing the likely hood of getting certain set-pieces with the map generation setting. I wish I could find the thread, but I think there was a hypothesis that setting the map to branch: most and loop: never often gave better results in terms of set-piece-generation.  

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step in and expand on this. 

Rather than using c_gonext("$OBJECT") you can just count the objects with c_countprefabs("pigking").  {also works for gears, knights, bishops, beefalo, and a host of other things I don't bother counting when determining whether or not a world is a good one for my Wilderness server.}

Seriously? I have windows 10, how can it be related to world gen? Is there any official post that links Windows 10 to worlds with less stuff ? I really can't believe it.

I would say you are unlucky but I have been suffering with lack of gears / pig king recently. Although it has been the case with Windows 8 and windows 10, so I really doubt windows 10 has anything to do with it.

This. World generation shouldn't have anything to do with the operating system, you probably just had bad luck or didn't explore the entire map.

@LunaticEdit, you mentioned the issue of bumping up settings (to "More") overrunning your map. That might be part of the reason you're missing the Pig King. Worldgen needs to find X amount of space to drop him and his pig village down in, so if there's a ton of berry bushes, boulders, monsters, etc, crowding things up, that X amount of space won't ever be found.

Or is this happening even when you don't change settings? To quickly validate, use the method mentioned by @absimiliard. Open up the console by pressing ~ and type:

c_countprefabs("pigking")

The overlaying white text will return a line telling you that there is either one or zero. To close the console, type Control-L.

The "no beefalo" thing is odd... I've never had that problem. I've had it happen where I only get one very small herd (3 or 4 beefalo), but never zero. Are you sure that's not what's happening, maybe you're getting a teensy tiny herd located in some far off reaches of the map? You can count them using the same command above, the prefab is called "beefalo".

Archived