What's up with the bore?

I was playing very nicely on my 8th day when all of a sudden two bores boars appear and kill me.

I didn't startle them, I didn't even find them. THEY found me! How do they work? Just apear randomly and cut my fun?

Also, there's no way to continue when you die? Like "reload last saved game"?

Edited by Chancer

They are hounds, it happens after so much real time has passed.To continue create a meat effigy or dig up an amulet in the graveyard. The amulet takes place of the backpack but in a dire situation you can equip it fast enough. You drop all items upon death and may lose food if the enemies eat it but they will be asleep once you come back allowing you to recover your loot.

Hi welcome to the forums.What you encountered is not a bore but hounds. They will come every so often to kill you, you can usually hear them before they come by a barking sound. The longer you survive the more that will come, and you might even encounter a hell hound which upon death will set whatever is around it on fire.No this game is meant for perma-death. You could however save scum it by going into the save folder, copying it to somewhere else, and paste it back in if you die. But that ruins the whole point of the game.

You can find the save file - but that defeats the purpose of starting over.In my opinion, the hounds (not 'bore') add fun. The game dies out once research and a steady food supply is established.From there - it's more like "Don't Die."I don't think you can have Meat Effigies on Day 8 - so 'tough kiddy' it and restart.Sorry.

Yeah, I just bought the game yesterday and I feel like there are a million things I should know before playing to make it more fun.So far I've just being dying for stupid reasons and I get angry every time I have to start over.@pigman, I'm pretty sure I didn't have any meat when the hounds attacked me. I did have berries, carrots and seeds, though.

@pigman, I'm pretty sure I didn't have any meat when the hounds attacked me. I did have berries, carrots and seeds, though.

No they attack you regardless of what you have. But if you put meat on the ground it will distract them and they will go for that before going after you.

First and foremost, welcome to the forums! ;D Continue posting, we love seeing new faces.

Second of all, those things are hounds. They come in packs every few days (Not normally as early as Day 8 though.) starting at around 2 hounds, and the more days go by, the more they come.

And lastly, since i'm a nazi, *boar. When i saw the title, i thought this thread was about why people are getting bored with the game lol o3o

Edit: I missed a few things in the OP, so yeah. Let me reiterate: Hounds will come every so often, growing in size when they do, and attack you. However, they can be easily prevented because they bark and heave for a few moments before charging in. You can leave out monster meat (Which has no other use besides researching, because it will, y'know, kill you if you eat it.) and the Hounds will target that first.

As for the progress saving, no. This is a rougelike. In roguelikes, you lose everything, or most things, when you die. It's a part of the game. However, in this roguelike, there is a way to prevent it. From Amulets and Meat Effigies. Of course, if it really bothers you, you could save-scum. I'm not explaining how to do it to you though, because i find that it defeats the purpose of the game. Tough luck, kiddo :]

Edited by TheHomeChicken

And lastly, since i'm a nazi, *boar. When i saw the title, i thought this thread was about why people are getting bored with the game lol o3o

LOL! English is not my 1st language :p I remember watching LOST and listening "boar" a bunch of times (BTW, how long ago was that?), but I didn't really know how to write that.And the worst part, which is actually the best (or not) is that I have a Mac, so I need to play on Chrome, thus I can't save-scum :)

LOL! English is not my 1st language :p I remember watching LOST and listening "boar" a bunch of times (BTW, how long ago was that?), but I didn't really know how to write that.And the worst part, which is actually the best (or not) is that I have a Mac, so I need to play on Chrome, thus I can't save-scum :)

Ah, okay. And I wouldn't know about Lost. Never got into it.As for the no save-scum thing; good. good.

This is a chief example of why you should do a little research into a game before you buy it.

This is an excelent example on how to ruin your fun.@THChickenWho cares if you are grammar nazi/police.I dont care as long as you dont post stuff in foregin laungages.Also,monster meat is excelent food.You eat 3+1 Honey and youre @ChancerYou know there is a big difference between bore and boar..do you..Also,it doesnt matters english isnt your native lang. , even it's not mine and i had to learn Deutsch + Russian at school,so they confuse sometimes for me.Also,If you mouse over a mob,it tells you it's name.Oh,and if you dont know something,you can look on wiki first.They have almost all you need to know.But if you dont want to ruin the game for yourself,you can try discovering stuff yourself.

Chicken..

Its meaning:I dont care if you are X/I dont blame you for being X

I dont say there is anything wrong with that >.> .

I tought when you consider yourself grammar Nazi then you should understeand it

[insert Random Face here]

- - - Updated - - -

I watch AT LEAST 2 hours of gameplay before I buy a game I know nothing about.

I rather play demos.If no demos,i download from TPB.If that isnt possible..Then i watch gameplay.

But seriously,it ruins the fun.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that the hounds look like boars.Just listen for the barking, that is the warning they are coming. A logsuit makes the first wave super easy to kill. Once the barking starts expect one to come charging in.

I have had to fight like 4 of these things. Was running back to my camp and I heard this weird sound. It kept going on for a while and as Soon as I stepped onto my island that included my camp 2 of them was rearing right behind me. Scared the crap out of me. After the next 2 days the same thing happened but it was before I stepped onto my island.

End of story, they are creepy when you first encounter them.

They get harder and harder to survive. I have a bunch of tooth traps set (they used to kill the hounds, now they barely slow 'em down) and I have a second firepit away from anything valuable and flammable, except my one local spider nest. I'm considering moving the tooth traps over to the secondary firepit and just making it my hound zone. The problem is, well, they don't bark for as long as they used to, and if I don't get all ready in time, I may not be able to leave my main firepit, which is near lots of flammable stuff. That means running in a circle around the fire until dawn, and usually taking a few hits.Mind you, they don't get this hard until after day 100 or so. The main trick is to wear the log suit, if you have the technology, use a spear if you have that technology, and drop some meat if you have any you can spare. Early on, they come one at a time, so you can kill one while he's trying to eat the meat, and actually keep the bait AND the hounds' meat as well. Even if you aren't fast enough to keep your meat, as long as you kill each one before the next one arrives, they will drop meat and lure their brethren so you can chain the effect.