Klei: Looking for your official position on commissioned mod content?

Hello,

I'm hoping to get a response from the developers on this topic. I have created a couple of pretty popular character mods for the workshop (Whandler and more recently Wynn).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=392369197 - Whandler

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=479169756 - Wynn

I've enjoyed making these mods for the community, and I'm proud of my work. But creating content like this takes a huge amount of time and effort. So I figured maybe I could make some money with my hard work if I offered commissioned Don't Starve characters for those who were interested. Thus, I decided to offer Don't Starve character commissions on my website, which can be found here-

http://www.sageoflegend.com/commissions/

This initially seemed like a pretty harmless endeavor to me. Offering custom characters for people who  A) want them and B) can afford to pay for my time and expertise (I wouldn't fall into that latter category myself). I'd seen some other mods on the DS workshop that were clearly commissioned before, so I figured why not? What I overlooked were the conflicts with the Steam Workshop Subscriber Agreement, which commenters swiftly brought to my attention.

Since I can't technically use the developer tools or workshop for commercial purposes, I figured I'd still be fine to sell people assets outside of Steam for use in creating their own mods. I can sell images and code to whoever I want on my own website, right?

That seems reasonable to me, but one gate remains: I would like to know how Klei feels about commissioned content like this. While I believe that my time and skills are worth paying for and that I'm bringing quality content to the workshop (which in turn brings value to the game), at the end of the day I would be making money off of Klei's game. I have the utmost respect and appreciation for this company, so if Klei takes issue with commissioned assets like this I will simply pull the plug on it. But rather than continuing to assume anything, I'm asking: What is your official status on commissioned mod content, Klei?

Thank you for your time and attention,

Eric "Sage" Chandler

Edited by SageOfLegend

-- Removed information as JoeW posted a response. --

The information which was removed simply highlighted that commercial use of mods was prohibited, but donations could be accepted.

Edited by Kzisor

The only reservation that we have is that you aren't representing yourself as official, which I am fully aware that you are not. This extends to remakes of official characters so we can avoid confusion.

However, as long as you are creating art that is entirely your own design (or of the commisioner of course) you are absolutely allowed to take commissions if you choose too.

Of course, I have to reserve the right to retract what I am saying above in the case of circumstances that I am not aware of that affect my decision, but from what I know about what you are doing; it's totally fine.

I have seen your work, and you do a great job. I hope it goes well for you!

The only reservation that we have is that you aren't representing yourself as official, which I am fully aware that you are not. This extends to remakes of official characters so we can avoid confusion.

However, as long as you are creating art that is entirely your own design (or of the commisioner of course) you are absolutely allowed to take commissions if you choose too.

Of course, I have to reserve the right to retract what I am saying above in the case of circumstances that I am not aware of that affect my decision, but from what I know about what you are doing; it's totally fine.

I have seen your work, and you do a great job. I hope it goes well for you!

Thanks for your response, JoeW! I'm glad to hear that commissioned mod art has the official go-ahead from you for now. I will state very clearly on my website that I am not official and that no official character remakes are allowed. If you ever decide to change your policy on this in the future, I will of course comply with whatever decisions you make.

Also, thanks a lot for the compliment! That means a lot to me.

Edited by SageOfLegend