How do you edit the world?

Every time I try to edit my world in Don't start together the "preset limit reached" message comes up and I am unable to change any of the default settings. Overwriting the custom preset doesn't matter a difference either because when I try to change a setting the same preset limit reached message comes up. Why can't I edit my world?

post-672103-0-25803900-1436172001_thumb.

Maybe this is what's happening, you currently have 5 saved presets:

CP 1

CP 2

CP 3

CP 4

CP 5

Then you change something else, creating a 6th unique preset. Saving CP 6 asks you to overwrite something else. Let's say you chose the 2nd slot and overwrite CP 2. Your saved presets becomes this:

CP 1

CP 2 ---> CP 6

CP 3

CP 4

CP 5

Now, CP 6 is already saved. If you try to edit it further, you're creating a totally different preset, CP 7. When you try to save it, you'll get another message that your 5 Maximum Presets is full. You have to overwrite something again. In which case you should choose the 2nd slot, because CP 7 is just an 'edit' of CP 6.

(If my answer is dumb and I misunderstood the question, I'm sorry.)

Maybe this is what's happening, you currently have 5 saved presets:

CP 1

CP 2

CP 3

CP 4

CP 5

Then you change something else, creating a 6th unique preset. Saving CP 6 asks you to overwrite something else. Let's say you chose the 2nd slot and overwrite CP 2. Your saved presets becomes this:

CP 1

CP 2 ---> CP 6

CP 3

CP 4

CP 5

Now, CP 6 is already saved. If you try to edit it further, you're creating a totally different preset, CP 7. When you try to save it, you'll get another message that your 5 Maximum Presets is full. You have to overwrite something again. In which case you should choose the 2nd slot, because CP 7 is just an 'edit' of CP 6.

(If my answer is dumb and I misunderstood the question, I'm sorry.)

So is there anyway I can fix this to be able to edit my world? Also Im not sure how I have 5 custom presets in the first place as I never tried editing the world until now.

@smallishbird, It sounds like you were saving presets to be able to change settings of existing worlds, but that's not what presets do. Presets save a given configuration so that you can reuse it later to generate other worlds (with the same customizations). If you're changing it for each world, there's no reason to save a preset.

Changing stuff for a world that's already been created is a much trickier situation (especially with respect to more/less of various plants and animals). If that is what you're trying to do, what exactly do you want to change? I may be able to figure out a console command that can do it.

Hi @rezecibI am a big fan of yours.

Changing of world settings while not resetting an existing world would be something I would like as well. I have sadly set spiders up to "more" and now (with a good infrastructure) its just annoying. we have survived one year and havent even scouted the whole map, since there are so many spider dens and webs everywhere :-)

Would said console command be able to safely change the settings in undiscovered regions of the map?

I think this video may help better explain what I'm trying to say.

I wasn't trying to change the settings of an existing world. I tried to change the settings of a new server so that I can have a long summer, long winter and short spring and short autumn, but every time I tried to change the seasons (or any setting for that matter) the preset limit reached message comes up.

I actually don't want to change any presets. I just want to change the settings for this world only, but am unsure of how to do this. Thus far what I've been trying is going to a new server in which a world doesn't yet exist and then clicking on edit world. Is there another way I should be doing this?

I actually don't want to change any presets. I just want to change the settings for this world only, but am unsure of how to do this. Thus far what I've been trying is going to a new server in which a world doesn't yet exist and then clicking on edit world. Is there another way I should be doing this?
 Just change the settings, then click apply, then create the world. You don't need to save a preset to create a world with custom settings, the world's save file will save the settings with it. The only reason to save a preset is if you want to create many worlds with the same settings and are getting tired of manually changing each of them each time you create a world.

@tracc, Unfortunately that's one of the things that's not really possible. The entire world generates at the start, so it doesn't generate it as you discover it. After it's been generated, the spider dens don't know whether they were the result of normal settings or "more". The best you can do is delete some portion of the spider dens. I'm not sure of exactly how many additional spider dens "more" creates, but you could use a command like this to delete a percentage of them:

for k,v in pairs(Ents) if v.prefab == "spiderden" and math.random() < 0.8 then v:Remove() end end

That would remove 80% of them (change 0.8 to the fraction of them that you want removed).

@rezecib, If i understand well the video, the problem of  @smallishbird is that each time he click somewhere to change any option he have a "too many preset" warning. Even when he try only to change the size of the world, or the length of the season, or anything.

He can't even click on "apply" because he has the warning before.

Maybe somewhere you could erase the saving preset ? It could help (even if you will lose this preset... )

Hmm, I can't replicate that. I have 5 presets and when changing an option, it changes the preset label to be whatever it was before, plus "(Custom)".

I guess try selecting one of those presets? Or overwriting one. As far as I know you can't delete presets (without overwriting them).

There is an upcoming UI overhaul, so I imagine the devs don't want to sort out bugs in this one right at the moment, but if the new UI is similar, a deleting custom preset button would be really nice.

@rezecib Thank you for the info and the workaround. But killing off 80% of spider population with a line of text feels morally wrong to me, so I think we have to go and Fight them - this way at least they stand a chance. And we get their resources.

Best get us some pigs to do it I guess.

Hmm, I can't replicate that. I have 5 presets and when changing an option, it changes the preset label to be whatever it was before, plus "(Custom)".

I guess try selecting one of those presets? Or overwriting one. As far as I know you can't delete presets (without overwriting them).

There is an upcoming UI overhaul, so I imagine the devs don't want to sort out bugs in this one right at the moment, but if the new UI is similar, a deleting custom preset button would be really nice.

I can't select anything on the edit world screen. If you watch the video everything I try to select causes the "Preset Limit Reached" message to show up. Even clicking the background or clicking the back button will cause the message to come up.

@smallishbird, Yeah, I see that. I'm looking at the code for the screen and it looks like that dialog is only supposed to come up when the SavePreset function is called. This function is referenced in two places: the Save Preset button, and if "CONTROL_INSPECT" is sent to the screen (when a key is released, as opposed to pressed down). CONTROL_INSPECT should be alt+click, I believe. I know sometimes alt gets stuck in a pressed state for me when I alt-tab, but pressing alt once back in the game fixes it. Hopefully that's the problem...

Edit: Tried to replicate this with the new knowledge. alt+clicking didn't get it, but going into the controls menu and binding something to Inventory Inspect did trigger the popup. Before that, it wasn't bound to anything. Maybe you have it bound to something (like left mouse button)?

@smallishbird, Yeah, I see that. I'm looking at the code for the screen and it looks like that dialog is only supposed to come up when the SavePreset function is called. This function is referenced in two places: the Save Preset button, and if "CONTROL_INSPECT" is sent to the screen (when a key is released, as opposed to pressed down). CONTROL_INSPECT should be alt+click, I believe. I know sometimes alt gets stuck in a pressed state for me when I alt-tab, but pressing alt once back in the game fixes it. Hopefully that's the problem...

Edit: Tried to replicate this with the new knowledge. alt+clicking didn't get it, but going into the controls menu and binding something to Inventory Inspect did trigger the popup. Before that, it wasn't bound to anything. Maybe you have it bound to something (like left mouse button)?

You're awesome.

Archived