Animal ideas and possible gameplay Variety change?

• Lionfish: randomly, with a low percentage, instead of Pengulls spawning on the coast, a giant LIONFISH spawns.  RAWR!  It would be the body of a shark with the mane of a lion.  Killing it gives big meats and a couple of gems. I'm thinking probably 2 blue gems, with randomly dropping purples instead.
  • Dandelion: similar in size to hounds / volt-goats, these would be a pack of lions with flower petals as manes.  They would have breeding patterns similar to other mobs, but would ignore you if left alone.  However, they would become aggressive if you approached too close. Killing one would drop big meat, and possibly butterflies.  Randomly would drop a Top-Hat.  Cause ... you know ... they are dandy.
  • Haremare: Would be a horse-like creature with bunny ears.  Would drop big meats and potentially a bunny puff when killed.  I just like the idea of farming bunny puffs on the surface and not having to go to caves just for puffs.  When you are insane, Haremares become Noughtmares which drop beardhairs, maybe nightmare fuel, and potentially red gems when killed. 
  • Chickmonk: smallish overland chicken critter with monkey arms and tail.  Similar to Splumonkeys except instead of being aggressive, they are merely annoying.  They randomly throw pinecones and/or birchnuts at the player. Will run away when chased.  Think playful. Will randomly throw at other mobs, too, causing them to be aggressed upon.  Cute, annoying, and sometimes get stepped on by bigger things.  They never learn.

Honestly, i envision world generation (similar to other games such as Terraria) in which you have alternate forms of creatures that are similar and play the same role.  Thus, maybe instead of Beefalo, you have a different, similar herding animal. Some games you get Beefalo, others you get Haremares. Or whatever.  Major coding changes would revolve around renaming items so they are not tied to specific animals.  For example: the Beefalo hat could be renamed, "Warm Smelly Hat" and be crafted the same materials.  Renaming "Beefalo fur" to "Smelly Furs" could mean that the class of large animals similar to Beefalo would all drop "Smelly Furs" in equal amounts.

Does this add anything?  Not really.  Would it be a lot of work?  Probably.  Terraria, I think, has two identical systems.  Copper is identical to Tin; Gold is identical to Platinum; Iron is identical to Lead.  If your world generates one resource, it only generates that one and not the other.  So you can get Copper but not Tin.  But thats OK, since they are identical in all areas except name and coloration.  What does it add?  Variety.  Just a little variety.

I think there are enough creative minds to make something like this totally viable and it could give you something to look forward to in future playthroughs.  Really like Volt Gots but your wold got "Lightning Pugs" instead?  Maybe that means this is not your world, and you need to Teleportato out and see what you get in the next world.

It would be the body of a shark with the mane of a lion.  

How would it move around? Make it have lion legs maybe? 

As for the "Paranormal Movingtivity" the devs maybe don't want to develop vanilla RoG further so are only taking suggestions for DST (which would really suck)? I don't know, really weird they didn't give any reason for the move. 

By the way, I really, really, REALLY adore the idea of Dandelions.  Like, fancy lions with tiny little tophats and flower manes.

Here's a deviant art by borogove13:

http://fav.me/d2ryosy

Dandy_Lion_by_borogove13.jpg

Here's a t-shirt company representation:

Dandy-Lion-Tshirt.png

Here's a deviantart by Jutchy:

http://fav.me/d6aj8m4

dandylion_by_jutchy-d6aj8m4.jpg

And one by zonkey:

http://fav.me/d63js6o

dandylion_by_zonkey-d63js6o.jpg

I'm sure some artists out there can Don't Starve one up, and make it perfect. I mean, we have wildebeast like things, shouldn't we also have big-cat like things?

Actually, have you ever noticed that there could EASILY be some crossover from Avatar: The Last Airbender (and/or Avatar: The Legend of Korra)?

Fire Ferret - could easily be an annoying hazard for either Summer or non-Summer months.

Tiger Seal - yeah, exactly like it sounds.

Cabbage Slug - can wreak havoc on farms if not handled properly

Catgator - swamp dweller

Flying fishopotamus - just sounds awesome

Sand Shark - desert dweller

Puma Goat - Volt Goats more dangerous cousin

Moth Wasp - only come out at night, are attracted to lights, completely ignore Moggles.

Does this add anything?  Not really.  Would it be a lot of work?  Probably.  Terraria, I think, has two identical systems.  Copper is identical to Tin; Gold is identical to Platinum; Iron is identical to Lead.  If your world generates one resource, it only generates that one and not the other.  So you can get Copper but not Tin.  But thats OK, since they are identical in all areas except name and coloration.  What does it add?  Variety.  Just a little variety.

Note that on an example of Terraria - the various materials like Gold and Platinum spawns according to what type of map will randomly generate. This is not really very important (+they vary - not everything IS EXACLTY the same - for example items you can create of them).

So randomizing generated world like in terraria is NOT adding variety. It's just giving you different SET of items. But since I had 10 possible items ... I still get 10 possible items. I would prefer getting ADDITIONAL items. Not just different (this is just making mess in the codes, and possibly will cause bugs + imagine making mods including such double-options. Longer code - not good) 

Haremare: Would be a horse-like creature with bunny ears. Would drop big meats and potentially a bunny puff when killed. I just like the idea of farming bunny puffs on the surface and not having to go to caves just for puffs. When you are insane, Haremares become Noughtmares which drop beardhairs, maybe nightmare fuel, and potentially red gems when killed.

Ahem... Caves are not just for puffs, you got a lot of things to do there but making it easier to get puff? Then what's the point of having bunnymen if you could just kill non bunnymen and make bunny hutches... it makes no sense..... -_-

I disagree with you a bit here. Don't get me wrong, I like your ideas. They probably have little chance of getting in(at least as is) as they serve little function, but a mod would be quite probable. But there's a strong difference between what you're suggesting and your analogy.

I don't play Terraria, so all my information is comming from you right now, but in the case of these systems you're presenting, the difference is merely comestic. All that it takes is a few texture changes and renaming. Purely Aesthetic. Is it good? Maybe. I see it as a trick to avoid the game feeling old and increasing the time the player takes interest in it.

As for your suggestion, you're suggesting that already in mobs be replaced randomly with additional mobs. If it was just a retexture and renaming like in the above, it would be easy to the point of redundancy. But the new animals you're suggesting are actually different than the already in gameplay-wise. I'm already against the idea of having things "maybe show up, maybe not" en masse, as that makes balancing for all the different possibilities near impossible. But comparing it to the Terraria system is just extrapolating it. In this case, it would literaly be a new game every time you created a world, not just the aesthetic feel of one.

And I felt the need to point that out, because I'm such a pompous bastard that way.

Or, it could have a syste like starbound, where the creatures are randomly generated based on a list of attributes, like their environment or what kind of items the player needs to obtain. (The scripting and art would already be done, but it falls together randomly to create new creatures)

That sounds cool! I always thought don't starve was lonely! However, it would not be very lore friendly, unless they were other original characters, or maybe even the ones that weren't implemented. I think if they were added, they should all have different jobs, and should act based on their personalities. IDK what they should be called though. Somebody please help with that!

I like your Idea about them having jobs. I think you assign them jobs like telling them what to do. I think they should have health, hunger, and sanity as well. You will have to take care of them and you can tell what they need or are low on. For example:

hunger-character will hold their stomach as it makes a growling noise

sanity-character will hold their head and it throbs.   WARNING: characters will kill you and other characters when they are crazy.

Health- there will be a health bar above their head

tools you can give-Jobs

axe-wood chopping

pickaxe- mining

berries- gather berries

carrots-gather carrots

flower-gather flowers

spear- attack, defend, hunt

you could also do things to replenish their stuff (health, hunger, and sanity)

health- give them food

sanity-give them flowers or a flower headress

hunger-food again

But I still have a problem with what to call them.

thanks,

frostbitcookie

:wilson_ecstatic:  :wilson_celebrate:

I like your Idea about them having jobs. I think you assign them jobs like telling them what to do. I think they should have health, hunger, and sanity as well. You will have to take care of them and you can tell what they need or are low on. For example:

hunger-character will hold their stomach as it makes a growling noise

sanity-character will hold their head and it throbs.   WARNING: characters will kill you and other characters when they are crazy.

Health- there will be a health bar above their head

tools you can give-Jobs

axe-wood chopping

pickaxe- mining

berries- gather berries

carrots-gather carrots

flower-gather flowers

spear- attack, defend, hunt

you could also do things to replenish their stuff (health, hunger, and sanity)

health- give them food

sanity-give them flowers or a flower headress

hunger-food again

But I still have a problem with what to call them.

thanks,

frostbitcookie

:wilson_ecstatic:  :wilson_celebrate:

Still... Don't know about names...

But by jobs I mostly meant like woody could be a chopper and wendy could help fight with abagail

It would be less op but your idea is still good.

Archived