How to hide images on an animation

So I got Tiny Box Tim working last night thankfully! but... I have no clue how to hide/show his fedora and warfstache! I tried inst.AnimState:Hide("name_of_image") but nothing happened.... does anyone know how I'd do this if I'd even be able to?

@Corrosive, symbols in custom animations are named timeline_#; so that wouldn't work. Even in animations which have the default symbol names used by the game, it comes out differently. I've created a program which will rewrite them for character animations so I can add custom animations, but it's not configurable yet. I honestly had no plan to release it, I only made it to show PeterA what was wrong with the current auto compiler.

If there is enough requests I will look into making it public and configurable until Klei gets time to fix the real auto compiler. 

@Corrosive, symbols in custom animations are named timeline_#; so that wouldn't work. Even in animations which have the default symbol names used by the game, it comes out differently. I've created a program which will rewrite them for character animations so I can add custom animations, but it's not configurable yet. I honestly had no plan to release it, I only made it to show PeterA what was wrong with the current auto compiler.

If there is enough requests I will look into making it public and configurable until Klei gets time to fix the real auto compiler. 

I hereby request that!

@Kzisor,

I was under the impression that timeline_# is the layer name, which is equivalent to the name of the timeline of each symbol in spriter.  Those names certainly get overridden.  Each symbol/element still gets a name that is included in the anim file, no?

LvBmBlfl.png

The xml file is the intermediary file that Klei's scml compiler creates.  The hex view is of anim.bin.

I've asked on how to use OverrideSymbol and ClearOverrideSymbol before, and the things really get renamed. I've never managed to get it to work, neither by changing the names back at some point of the compilation, nor by guessing the symbol name. But maybe Hide and Show work better?

@Corrosive, no it doesn't gotta. The auto compiler was made by a human, therefor it can be broken and actually is broken. I spent 3 days on figuring it out and it's the reason why I created my program to do just that. There is no way around it and there is no way for you to rename the .xml file without it being overwritten originally. The way my program works literally runs the auto compiler to obtain the original .zip file, renames the .xml file, then runs a section of the compiler which specifically exports the .zip file into the anim.bin file.

It can be done manually the same way, but it is a pain in the rear.

@Corrosive, no it doesn't gotta. The auto compiler was made by a human, therefor it can be broken and actually is broken. I spent 3 days on figuring it out and it's the reason why I created my program to do just that. There is no way around it and there is no way for you to rename the .xml file without it being overwritten originally. The way my program works literally runs the auto compiler to obtain the original .zip file, renames the .xml file, then runs a section of the compiler which specifically exports the .zip file into the anim.bin file.

It can be done manually the same way, but it is a pain in the rear.

I think this version of the mod tools may yield the fix (as well as fixing those darn hitboxes).

If you could explain to me how to compile the resulting projects, I could test it myself :razz:

EDIT: Woops maybe should have added a link

I hereby request that!

I understand that you would like to request it, however, I am a little reluctant to publish my software because PeterA is going to be working on fixing the auto compiler in the future. I'd rather have the official software work properly than rely on software made by a third party.

However, that said I will publish the software as soon as I make a guide on how to use it. Here is an example of it working:

UyHvSn8.jpg

NgO2WdM.jpg

9ArqP49.jpg

o4Brq7n.png

Give me about 3-4 hours to write a guide on the usages, installation, and everything for the program. I will publish it later today.

Edit:

Added more definitive proof that it actually works as intended. The scarf is a BRAND new symbol in the animations.

Edit 2:

Instructions for the software can be found here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52117-animation-renaming-software/

Here ya go. 

That is very strange, it seems to work as you describe. However, there is further testing needed because I have ran into an issue where things weren't lining up properly. It's the reason I made my renaming software.

Either way, I will do more testing because I need to create new animations for my character.

Edit:

The layer name seems to play an effect on certain symbols. Example: When not using my renaming software, if you equip a hat the head doesn't change. When using my renaming software, if you equip a hate the head changes.

The reason for this is because AnimState:Show and AnimState:Hide uses the layer name, not the symbol name.

Archived