Oh my! Wigfrid ...

Applebottom, that was my thought process. I put my meatballs and Jerky in Snow Chester, thinking it would keep me safe from Bunnymen (it did).  But, trying to keep an eye on Chester while in the Ruins ended up being more trouble than it was worth. 

I say go for RoG.  I have found it to be a very welcome experience.  However, you might benefit from reading this thread: "Reign of Giants WITHOUT summer"

Basically, my first runs I turned summer to super short to get a taste of it without it being a massive roadblock.  I still don't like summer.  I have issues with its core design, since it adds needless difficulty without also adding any additional content.  Summer is basically difficulty for difficulty sake.  But, that is only my opinion.

There are a few things in RoG that you need to know before you dive right in:

• SUMMER, of course.
  • Food / Captured Animal spoilage.  You can't leave food on crockpots indefinitely, nor can you leave rabbits in chests / traps indefinitely.
  • Hound Mounds. When running through the desert, be aware that these exist.
  • Moleworms steal stuff.  Don't just leave piles of gold on the ground anymore. Put things in chests.
  • Birchnut Trees and their unique brand of tree guardian.
  • Spring means lots of rain / wetness. Plan for umbrellas / straw hats early.
Really, RoG is just more of everything, including more fun and more danger. Definitely play it now. If you haven't installed it, then you'll need to do that, and then "unlock" the RoG characters. Which means getting to play at least once or twice with some stock characters and therefore experiencing the stock RoG experience / death. Then you can start a plan for a long playthrough with Wigfrid, or any other char you like. I have found Wigfrid perfect for me, but that doesn't mean she's perfect for everyone.

Good luck! Have fun!

Day 250: WOOOT!  I did it.  I didn't think I could, but this is a great milestone for me.  To celebrate, I found a suspicious dirt pile and tracked it to a Koalefant.  Captured it in my zoo.  I'm up to 4 now, two summer and two winter.  <3

Day 254: The Day The Pengulls Staged A Jailbreak.  I made another rookie mistake. Winter had begun, and I took a trip admire my Koalefant pen.  And then, of course, exactly what you are all thinking happened. Pengulls!  Well, I didn't think about it, and went on with my life.  Except I forgot that Pengulls can break walls.  And they did.  Next thing I know, I'm cooking at the crockpot and two of my Koalefants just wander by.  I was like "WHAAAAAAAAA ...." aw crap.  I spent the next TWO DAYS trying to corral them and put them back, but I had to of course kill the Pengulls first, without bad things happening to me or the Koalefants.  Lesson learned, don't walk near the coastal zoo cages during the winter.

Which reminds me, the zoo is growing.  I'm up to 4 Koalefants in one pen.  A dozen rabbits in another. And I'm starting to gather Moleworms for the third at this time.  The rabbits are going to be necessary.  I'm going to have to caputre a handful, make myself insane, then shave/kill the beardlings for their beardhair.  I have used all my touchstones, so I have no resurrection device.  A death now is permanent.  I need beard hairs to make a Meat Effigy. And until then, I need to play it fairly safe.  So no more ruins until we get beardlings.

But, day 250 hype!

Day 285: The base, as it stands now. I just got out of Winter, and Spring started, so please forgive all the rain in the photos. :-)

Here's what I call "Home":

xBrhIji.jpg

msz9Q7I.jpg

Berry Bushes and Farms:

IR8jA4E.jpg

05HhFdS.jpg

Drying Racks:

With the Drying racks, I'm basically turning all my big meats into jerky, and then stuffing all that jerky into one of the fridges. I have one ice box nearly full of just jerky. And, I carry a huge stack of it with me whereever I go. Jerky is just so good for all characters. Monster meat is turned into Meatballs. I have a second ice box filled with ice chips specifically since 1 monster meat + 3 ice chips = meatballs. I try to keep 6 or 8 plates of meatballs in the fridge at any time. Wigfrid has 120 hunger total, and meatballs refills over 60 of that at a time. So, 1 meatballs can take me from half hunger to full. 2 meatballs is more than enough for a full Wigfrid regardless of how low her hunger gets.

NsAiFjI.jpg

Saplings and Grass layout:

The chests here are pretty much full of logs, twigs, and grass. I shouldn't ever have resource problems from here on out, unless I really get super wasteful.

82E9pw4.jpg

rAId7dW.jpg

Bee boxes:

Haven't changed since day 150 or so. Wigfrid doesn't use honey nearly as much as other characters, so really it is just filler for Meatballs and the occasional Honey Ham.

mNe6g8J.jpg

... to be continued ...

... continued ...

The Pig Trap:

I don't know if some would call this a glitch, an exploit, or possibly a cheat. I like it, though. It has taken me way too many Fling-o-Matics to get it to work properly at all times, so I feel justified. That's eight gears "wasted", but it works. I turn on 4, light the grass, and then the cycle of pig-leaves-house, pig-frozen, pig-burned, pig-respawns, pig-leaves-house, etc turns into a steady stream of big meats and pigskins. It took quite a while to setup, and only really works for longer base stays, so I don't feel guilty using this type of gameplay element.

KfjvqpE.jpg

We Built a Zoo:

Starting the moleworm pen:

Re0W5NZ.jpg

Lots of rabbits:

jqNy5VC.jpg

And the jewel of the base:

5keIEPf.jpg

Koalefants are by far my most favorite element of Don't Starve. They are adorable, and cute, and helpful in every way to survival. I can't wait to continue to corral them and love on them. Also, you can see my growing collection of Beefalo horns. My beefalo are getting out of hand. More on that in a bit.

The Map:

I installed a mod called "Where's my Beefalo" just so I could show you guys my Beefalo problem. I originally set up camp here, because it was an ideal location. A few ponds, a couple of Beefalo, and the Pig King and Pigs, plus a couple of Spider dens. Absolutely ideal for Wigfrid in every way. However, Wigfrid it turns out, doesn't rely on Beefalo as heavily as other characters. Getting monster meat reliably is super easy, and as I described with Meatballs, getting a full belly is pretty easy. Also, Wigfrid isn't afraid of Hounds nor Giants. She faces them head-on, so I haven't had to use the Beefalo as protection, either. This has lead to a Beefalo overpopulation. I've even Old Bell'd a few times to thin them out, but that only gets 4 to 6 at a time. Not the Beefalo massacre I was expecting. Something will have to be done, eventually, and I'm not sure what. Probably going to kite my next Giant into the main Beefalo herd and just see what happens.

sUWs3DZ.jpg

QazGEJP.jpg

There you go, folks. Wigfrid at day 285. <3 Thanks for all your help.

WIGFRID IS LOVE, WIGFRID IS LIFE!!

O___O

Legit got to day some such

post-396589-0-83038900-1428310484_thumb.

Conquered the caves and ruins after a lot of expeditions making bases and checkpoints down there... now I'm just coasting through life and made a gauntlet/maze with tall birds and pig guardians and Hornet's Nests and bats and spiders... XD

She is so awesome!!

NOICE!

I started a 2nd playthrough.  This time with the intention of hopping a few worlds before settling down to a better base.  Lessons learned from this playthrough are going to be massively helpful.

I'm on day 120 of this new game, world 1.  Finally got a Krampus sack, and now I'm starting to stock up on supplies.  Got like 26 thulecite going.  Gonna try to grab a guardian horn or two.  I've already pre-built everything I can think of: Birdcage, Alchemy Engine, Shadow Manipuator, Pig and Rabbit houses, even a meat Effigy, plus the standard crockpot, drying rack, etc.  All ready to go into my new world.

I'm going to look for a really great place to set up a mega-base.  I think I want it where Glommer, Pig King, Beefalo are all in nice proximity.  I'm going to build my pig houses, so I don't really need those to be super close, but I want Pig King since Wigfrid loves her gold. Actually, come to think of it, why do I need Glommer nearby?  So, I guess I really don't need her super close.  I've already got Krampus sack, so farming Glommer isn't going to be super duper necessary. And how many Old Bells does a guy really need?

Hmmm, so what should my ideal world look like? Probably looking to set up near a desert in order to have bunches of tumbleweeds and Hound Mounds nearby. I love farming dogs with Wigfrid.  But, I also want some kind of zoo .... so maybe just having a wormhole close that leads to hound mounds. Also, I'd like to have a Volt Goat pen, but re-homing Volt Goats is a pain if you have to move them far.  

Ideally, would have a tiny island only accessible by wormhole.  I really, really, REALLY want to make a treeguard and/or Varg island.

What other features are good for some kind of fun world?  Maybe a neat set-piece that I can set up on? Some of the marble trees nearby?  Maybe some fun statues?

New Game. World 2.

Day 9: Oooh, suspicious dirt tracks. Let's stock up on some big meats. ... NOPE! VARG! Apparently, this game really wants to punish Wigfrid players. Varg on day 9 on my first attempt at tracking dirt piles.  Thank fully, it got stuck inbetween some trees in a thick forest, and I dispatched the dogs quickly, then got rid of him. So, my bigmeats I was hoping for became monster meats instead. Fine. Wigfrid and I can handle that.

Day 10: Rain. Lots of rain. I guess we started in Spring. ... wait ... was that ... FROGS. Stinking frog rain on day 10. Wigfrid runs straight for the swamp, and we just run around in circles waiting on the rain to quit. But wait! There's more! Perfect time for a hound attack, you say? Sure, why not. Hounds come in the middle of the frog rain. Thankfully, we're already in the swamp, so we find a merm house and just run in circles.  This is World 2, so we already have our walking cane keeping us out of harms way when necessary. Between merms and frogs and dogs, we've not collected tons of meats.

Day 11: Start setting up base. Crockpot and Ice Box are the first to go in place. We cook up loads of froglegs (I've collected a near 40 stack at this point thanks to all the damn frog rain) and get a mixture of meatballs and froggy sammiches. Stash a bunch in the fridge and eat enough to keep from starving.

Day 12: World 2 offers much more in the way of base building than World 1 does. Having all the prototyping out of the way, and having structures already prebuilt makes things setup so much faster. I spend the day digging turf, making wood floors, and setting up 14 drying racks which will be the heart of Wigfrid's food supply. Normally, getting one or two at this point would be my goal, but since the groundwork was laid in World 1, setting up World 2 is super fast. Drying racks complete with flooring in a nice layout.

It is at this point where Wigfrid and I take stock. Will this be our permanent home? I doubt it. I am arguing for setting up here for a while, gathering hard to come by resources, then moving on to World 3.  We spent about 150 days in World 1, and I think we'll accomplish more in the same 150 days in World 2. I've never really explored world hopping like this, and I kind of like looking for a "unique" world to set up a mega-base. I don't know if I can convince myself to stick to the plan, but I think I'd like to at least explore a few more worlds before setting down. 

I want Pig King since Wigfrid loves her gold. Actually, come to think of it, why do I need Glommer nearby?

Unless something has changed since I last played, if the pig king is close by, the glommer is also going to be close by.   

Sounds like some fun world-hunting!  I think your best bet is mainly to find a world that has most or all of the biomes radiating from a central hub.   As opposed to strung out in series.   If you can find one of these hub worlds, honestly almost everything is pretty close. 

And if you're lucky there'll be frog ponds in the center area.  I know of no other food source quite as simple yet bountiful as adjacent beehives and frog ponds in the spring.  Maybe toss in some pig houses for summer and fall.

Wigfrid is definitely the most easy mode character in my opinion.  I can basically ignore half of the game early on thanks to having no real concerns for health and sanity.  That would be good enough, but what's even more is I deal more and take less damage!  No real downside, since I don't really deviate from a primarily meat diet on other characters anyways.  The only exception maybe being the first 10 days or so, but it's easy enough to find... well, anything to kill and eat until you settle down.

I'm sure you're having fun with this, but you do many things I wouldn't.  For example, I see no need for Koalefants or drying racks.

For example, in my current world, I started off exploring for a little while before settling down.  When I finally did, I basically had everything I needed to take care of basic survival needs.  Alchemy machine, Crockpot, Ice Box, Bird cage (with bird), and hound mounds maybe a minute of travel away.  Basically, I planted myself at the pig king's village, so gold's not an issue.  I have no use for koalefants as they're a good deal of time and effort spent for only 8 meats, which I can just as quickly (if not more so) get a stack of 20 monster meat from hound mounds and teeth as a bonus.  Drying racks could possibly be useful, but honestly I can't be bothered, especially since most of my diet has been monster-meat-and-eggs based meatballs and so drying excess monster meat is probably what I'd do, but drying that stuff isn't so useful.

I'm at just over 200 days in my world and I've just started making bee boxes.  I have 16 pig houses and at this point I've been on a cycle of: hounds attack, they die to tooth traps, give monster meat to pigs, drag them over the tooth traps, use pig skins to make more houses, use meat for honey ham.  

At this point, I've gotten to where any character would probably have an easy time since I have the luxury of Tam-o'-Shanter / Top hat for sanity, and Honey ham/Honey poultice for health making those two issues fairly negligible so I don't even have to fight to recover anymore.  Eyebrella for rain.  Icebox Chester to hold my spare thermal stone for the heat in summer.

I would be incredibly bored by now, but I've made it a personal goal to get every single grass tuft, sapling, and berry bush on the map.  Reason being that I want to be able to explore during the summer without fear of destroying things which are not renewable.  So if I gather them together myself all at my base, I'll be able to place them around ice flingomatics and be able to explore more freely during the summer time.  On a "Huge" sized map, I think there will be plenty to do to keep me busy :razz:

You know what would make Wigfrid less OP; no health regeneration from killing stuff -.-

It's like devs took batbat, killing of shadow monsters, armour, meat, Wolfgang and made Wigfrid. Like, people mostly choose Wolfgang in DST for PvP, but if you know his tricks, Wigfrid will most likely win. Experienced it myself and I won as Wigfrid and I didn't even want to fight, the player I beat down aggroed on me!

Gave Wolfgang a try in single player and for me his biggest downside, I think, is the fact that he gets stunned for a few seconds when he changes tiers.  That is changing to/from Mighty, Normal, and Wimpy.  In any game where a character can fight, movement is HUUUUGE.  And Wolfgang's sitting there whining for a good 2 or 3 seconds is so detrimental... I ended up dying to a few spiders due to armor breaking, getting surrounded during the transition, and then beat up.  

I think what I missed most from Wigfrid, to be honest, is that quality armor and spear.  

The extra 300 damage reduction from that helmet is so nice for much more easily obtained resources than the football helmet (you can also milk it so much better by equiping the log armor afterwards).

The spear is pretty amazing as well with not only dealing more damage per swing than the regular spear, but also dealing over twice as much damage over its lifetime.  Ham bat is probably better later on though, once you've got a good supply of pig skins.

I'm sure you're having fun with this, but you do many things I wouldn't.  For example, I see no need for Koalefants or drying racks.

Drying racks, for me, are essential. Obviously, I love my meatballs, and survive mostly on a diet of monster + 3 filler = meatballs. But, having a stack of regular jerky is also essential, I think. The spoilage time is just too good to ignore. Since I never use regular bigmeats in the crockpot, they get turned in to jerky. I try to keep 5 or 6 jerky on me at all times so that I can feel free to wander off from my base for extended periods of time without fear of actually starving. The rest I keep in the fridge for like 40 or something days before it spoils. It lasts like forever. I don't remember the exact count, but it seems like there is always good jerky in an ice box no matter how long its been since I put it in there. I don't know what else I would use my bigmeats for other than Jerky.

Yes, getting a steady supply of monster meat is super easy. And my current base is setup right on the edge of the desert specifically for farming the hounsd that spawn at Hound Mounds. A steady supply of monster meat on my own terms, plus a million teeth that are used for sewing kits and teeth traps. Too good to pass up. But, any big meats I get (killing werepigs for pigskins, giants, etc) are only used for jerky.

The Koalafant, though, I MOST HEARTILY DISAGREE with you. Koalafant are NECESSARY for any good base. They are so cute, and cuddly, and adorable, and I just want to collect them all and keep them near me so I can watch them, and try to pet them, and play chase with them, and just look at their adorable faces.

I think what I missed most from Wigfrid, to be honest, is that quality armor and spear.  

The extra 300 damage reduction from that helmet is so nice for much more easily obtained resources than the football helmet (you can also milk it so much better by equiping the log armor afterwards).

This is so very, very true. Her spear and magic helmet are just super powerful. And, honestly, I stack them the other way around. I let the battle helm take the brunt of the damage. It is faster and cheaper to create a new battle helmet than it is to craft a log suit.

For a log suit, it is EIGHT logs plus two ropes, which means stopping to craft three separate events (2 coils and the suit). Whereas the Battle Helm is only a single craft, and takes like 2 rocks and 2 gold.  With all things being equal, a 20 stack of logs and 40 stack of grass can only make 2 log suits. I can accomplish the same with only 4 gold nuggets on hand.  Not having to stop and craft ropes if I get into a tight situation is a life-saver.

And since monster meat comes aplenty, as long as you have easy access to a pig king and a birdcage, you should never run out of gold. 

Rocks are the prohibitive cost to the helmet as I never seem to have enough when I need to build for other things.  They're the strangest material - I can grab 80 rocks and after I craft a few things, I'm already low or gone.  I may have to try to keep some extras on hand though for the helmet, I hadn't thought about the ease of creating it in battle.

Though I still would not say it's cheaper.  Logs rain from the sky with old bell and grass is easy enough to get.  With time to prepare, I'd rather have more log suits and have them take the brunt of the damage.

Eh, I guess it depends how many things are chasing you at the time.  I wouldn't want to make ropes and gather logs in the midst of a hound attack, but I have managed it against a bearger.  Just dodge until it ground-slams, then make one rope, repeat two more times and hope terrorbeak doesn't show up at an inopportune moment.

I've just recently started making a gear stash near my tooth-trap fields. A chest to put useful things for battle.  Having 3 or 4 full log suits ready to go seems like a great idea. So, yeah, having the prep time seems like a good plan. I think I'll make sure I have a few more in there.

World 2, Day 100: Taking Odal's suggestion, I made multiple log suits and helmets and put them in a chest near my tooth-trap killing field. This became immediately useful as Bearger decided this would be a great time to spawn. Wigfrid suited up, and went to work. One of the things I absolutely love about Wigfrid is her ability to recover sanity. Yes, I'm sure that other characters simply eat Taffy or Cactus or Green or Blue mushrooms, but I always seem to have stuff rot in the fridge, and then never have it when I need it.

My playstyle seems to be stock up on supplies, then go off into the world to do stuff, then come back and re-stock up, etc. Sectioning my time in game into distinct chunks. I am NOT a multitasker so trying to do a little of everything at once is just impossible for me. But, making a plan like "Stock up on monster meat" is something I can handle. When that is done, I move to the next plan like "Gather berries and filler". I'm sure many of you can handle doing a little of everything as it comes to you, but I'm not that way. [sidebar: Even in my real life, I am project oriented and struggle multitasking, just something I have learned to work within.]  Stocking up on sanity food, and stocking up on health food, and stocking up on hunger food with my other characters usually requires multiple ice boxes to keep organized, and then it seems that stuff is mostly rotten when I actually need it.  Wigfrid works exceptionally well with me in that regard.

Ok, so Wigfrid, me, and Bearger. Standing face to face practically right on top of tooth-trap city. Dis gonn' be gud. In fact, I took the time to kite Bearger to some trees and rocks and let him chop them down for me. We make short work of it, and Bearger goes down. Wigfrid eats about 4 of her always-on-hand Jerky, and life is good.

Day 103: Really starting to work on the base layout. This is definitely not going to be a forever home, as I plan on hopping Worlds at some point. But it gives me pleasure to set up a fun base. To try out new things.  And, learn what lessons I can.

Lesson learned: I will NEVER set up a permanent base in Deciduous Forest ever again. For starters, the turn is absolutely a pain to work with. It covers everything, including carpet. Dig up a square of any other turf, and the carpet lays exactly like you think it should. But dig up deciduous turf, place carpet and ... yup, you get a tiny hint of carpet underneath the deciduous turf. Like, really? No thank you. And digging up turf never seems to line up with structures or anything. It really makes it hard to lay out a base perimeter. 

Also, Poison Birchnut Tree monsters are super annoying. Like really, really, REALLY annoying. I would much rather have a herd of treeguards than a single birchguard. At least with Treeguards, I can potentially look for ways to teleport them into a zoo structure. Birchguards are just more annoying than they are worth.  For this world, I have made the trip to chop pine trees in order to stack enough pinecones to plant within walking distance for Wigfrid. Now, old bell a mass of trees is just a mass of regular pine trees, and the only dangers are regular Treeguards. It took a little bit of work to get 100 pinecones or so to plant, plus clearing out a mass of birchnut trees (and associated Birchguards), but this will be a little easier for the wood supplies.

Day 104: Found the first ruins, finally. A tiny path in the caves which I ignored ended up leading directly to the ruins. Go figure. Immediatly ran into a million shadow monsters during a nightmare cycle. Got the heck out of dodge. I'll come back later.

Day 105: Got my meat fire trap working. Eight fling-o-matics, over 50 hay walls, a pig house and a rabbit house (originally premade from World 1). This thing is great. Works perfectly. In fact, I could probably have done with less fling-o's. I made it on a 2x2 square instead of the 3x3 I did on a previous world. It is here for emergencies in case I ever run out of meats. As Wigfrid, we love to keep a bunch of Jerky on hand whenever possible. Keeping a 20-stack in the fridge at all times extends freshness times quite a while, plus keeping 7 to 10 on our toolbelt saves us during our long walks on the beach.

World 2 going strong! I've found 3 of the 4 things, plus the wooden thing.  Once I find the crank thing, i can assemble the machine. I'll hit up the Ruins to collect Thulecite and gems before hopping to the next world. And the lessons I've learned from World hopping will make World 3 and 4 that much better.

Archived