[Don't Starve] Winthrop the Scarecrow

Winthrop the Scarecrow
A New Playable Character by VideoGameTaco

I don't know how to introduce a forum thread soothly. Here's my mod character!

Winthrop the Scarecrow is a new playable character mod by me, VideoGameTaco.

This is what he looks like :

post-347989-0-53623700-1424048875_thumb.

post-347989-0-83145100-1424048903_thumb.

He doesn't have any major gameplay changers or strategies, but he has his fair share of perks and de-buffs.

Stats

• Health : 100
  • Hunger : 150
  • Sanity : 100

Pros

• Grows crops faster.
  • Has a water-proof hat.
  • He can eat grassy items to regain health

Cons

• Takes fire damage like it's nobody's business.
  • Loses sanity around fire.
  • Clogs up in the rain and wilts in heat.

So you may be asking yourself, "what do some of these things even mean?" Well, if you care enough, you'll keep reading:

Starting Inventory :

When Winthrop wakes up in a new world, you'll find he starts off with a little bit of cut grass, and a Scarecrow's Hat (*angelic choir*). This item is equipped in the hat slot, cannot be crafted, and when worn will keep Winthrop cool and dry. This is very important for the next character-specific gameplay feature.

Clogging and Wilting :

Being made mostly entirely of grass, being a scarecrow out in the wild isn't easy, especially if your key to survival and keeping your hard-earned sentience includes moving.

If he gets too wet, Winthrop's body will start to clog up. This makes him heavier, introducing a new perk and a new con. Winthrops soaked body is heavier, making walking and running slower. In turn, his rise in weight makes him hit a little harder.

When he gets too hot, the opposite happens. When wilting, Winthrops body becomes lighter. This allows him to run faster but hit softer.

Of course, wearing the hat can easily stop either of these things from happening, with its shady and waterproof powers.

Farming Fast :

Winthrop farms fast.

Made of Grass :

So here's where Winthrop's very existence comes into play. Winthrop, being a scarecrow, is stuffed with grass. When attacked, there's a chance that a little bit of his insides will spil out, earning you one extra piece of cut grass.

Good for you.

Another thing, is that Winthrop can stuff himself back up with certain items to regain health. Here are the following items Winthrop can eat for stuffing :

• Cut grass (+ 3 HP)
  • Rope (+ 12 HP)
  • Savanah Turf (+ 20 HP)
  • Beefalo Fur (+ 5 HP)
  • Carpeted Flooring (+ 10 HP)

So, yeah. Also, in case you haven't noticed, grass is extremely flamable. Winthrop deffinately has noticed this, and is very afraid of fire. Being around fire will drop his sanity. And his fear is very justified, as he takes 3.5x the fire damage as an average player. So have fun sitting on the edge of light and darkness all night every night. You'll get used to it.

So there you go! Winthrop the scarecrow, available now on the Steam Workshop.

Downloads :

Vanilla : Coming Soon!

Reign of Giants DLC : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=287404794

Don't Starve Together* : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=380250042

* These versions are anywhere from a little to extrmely unstable.

As much as I hype this mod up to be, there are deffinitely things wrong in the coding. If you can help me fix these codes, you'll have my thanks.

First off, Winthrop has the tendancy to not make any noise when he's speaking. He's supposed to use the unused Pyro character soundbyte.

And also, if any digital artists out there can draw me a better version of the big portrait for the character select screen to better match the official art style, that'd be amazing. You'd get full credit, also.

Archived