The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

The group found a cellar door and it appeared as if something ripped it open as it was splintered and the hinges were bent. It was pitch black within apart from the light of the book. A cold breeze came from within and it had an old, musty scent to it. Would they enter?

Jakob appeared to have taken Shana off guard, as she seemed a little surprised and took a second to respond. "I-I don't really have any stories to tell. My life is k-kind of boring, but if there is anything specific you want to know I can tell you about that."

Jakob scoffs.  "Oh, come on, stop being shy.  Life is just a collection of stories.  Surely you have something to say."

Telling his story seems to have made him much more open to the others.

Onyx chose now to interject, "Excuse me?" he said, apparently detaching himself from Opal's body, though retaining the same form as before "Pardon my interference, but it appears that your guest is not quite keen on sharing her story at the moment. Pestering her about it is rather rude of you." His face then adopted an annoyed expression, rather reminiscent of Opal. "And putting her on the spot like this definitely isn't helping her nerves."

Disparel suddenly bangs the table with his fist, knocking over a drink or two, "What the hell is that?!" he stares at Onyx for a second and his visage sours, "Get that abomination out of here!" With unexpected speed, two of the creatures that were in the sun chamber (the name of the place Shana got transformed in) entered and seized Onyx with some form of light magic. "Darkness will NOT be tolerated unless it is controlled and it doesn't concern itself with my affairs!" He turned towards the brain-dead Opal, "Can you control this miserable thing so I don't have to deal with it."

Opal, as much as she likely would've enjoyed giving Disparel some sort of snarky remark, was apparently unable to respond, the gem that rested near the center of her clavicle had drained of colour, appearing a dreary sort of gray as opposed to it's usual liquorice black, Opal simply sat, unmoving on her chair, eyes glossed over and the same dull hue of the gem.

"Alright, this lady has some mental problems. Let her figure that sh*t out somewhere else, bring her back to reality." The creatures transport Opal and Onyx out of the room. They take them to a strange chamber with inscriptions on the walls and markings on the ground. It was unusually hot, particularly for Onyx. Eventually, the creatures begin chanting and the room grows increasingly uncomfortable. With a sudden blast of energy, they were shot upwards, knocking Onyx and Opal unconscious for a short while.

..............................................................................................

The group above heard a boom as Opal and Onyx were flung out of thin air into the village...

Your name is Opal Donovan Reed, a name which you think is rather silly, hardly sounds like a real name at all. Or at least one of those dumb names rich, naive parents give to their spoile children like "Candy" or "Sparkle" or something. Although your name pairs well metaphorically with your partner, Onyx, though you had only met him recently. You still wish you had a better name, something like Jade, or Rose, or something that doesn't sound stupid to say. You make a mental note to think of a better name at some point in the future, and insist that everyone call you by that. In hindsight, no-one here would've known your name until you told them, so you were perfectly justified in lying to them about such a name. You suddenly realize you've spent a paragraph rambling about this, and are currently totally unaware of your situation.

As of current, you appear to be lying on the ground, totally unconscious, launched into the air after being transported somewhere that had a rather scorching level of heat attributed to it. Moments before you had been in a nearly catatonic state in which you had not been able to respond to anyone, due in part to your partners severance of the bond that held you two together, although you do not currently know this, and had assumed at some point that he didn't either, he had, you thought, put up a rather convincing act.

Opal : Wake up.

No. As you have yet to pass the threshold of time unconscious that will allow your revival, you must be content to lie on the ground for a few more hours, or until it's convenient for the plot.

"They're all plagued my dear Shana, they will root deep within your soul and never let go until you are unable to do their bidding." Disparel regains his composure, "Pity the girl, for the 'boy' is eating away at her life."

Bengie ate during the whole situation as if it was a normal thing that happened, "It wasn't harsh Shana, trust me... Now please, tell us a story or something."

Shana nodded, although she still looked concerned. "I-I suppose there's one story I could tell... about how I ended up here." She didn't seem to be hesitating just because she was shy now; she was mulling it over, actually afraid of telling what she was about to, but she took a deep breath and started anyway. 

"It started when I ran into someone."

~~~~~~~~~~

I was walking home from school. That day I had received a C- on my test, so I was not looking forward to the talking to I'd get from my parents about being responsible and needing to keep up a good impression because of my family name. As such, I wasn't really paying attention to where I was going and ended up running into someone, knocking us both over and scattering some papers he had in his grasp. I was blushing profusely and spouting apologies as I helped his gather up his things.

"I-I'm s-so sorry! I-I should have been watching where I was going..."

"No, it's fine really. I wasn't paying attention either," he reassured with a smile after he gathered his papers, "See, I'm new in town and I was looking for my friend. I'm supposed to meet up with him soon, but I can't seem to find where he's supposed to be."

"W-well, I may be able to help..." I offered, recovering from being flustered.

"Really? I don't mean to intrude."

"It's fine. A-as long as I'm home by four I c-can show you the way."

He smiled again. "Thanks, you're a life saver."

I couldn't help it and blushed again, stuttering about how it was nothing. A short while later I had led him to where his friend was. They exchanged quick greetings and we all introduced ourselves. The man I had ran into was Jon, who looked about 17, and his friend was Jack, who looked about 19 or 20 and didn't talk much. We arranged to meet up again after school and I would show them around on my way home.

We went on like that for a while. Everyday on my way home from school we'd walk around and talk for a bit. Jon was always very friendly and nice to me, and Jack seemed nice enough even if he didn't really talk. After some time I ended up becoming more comfortable around them, even to the point where we could have a relaxed conversation without me stuttering. Until one day.

"Hey Shana, you're the Faunsworth's daughter, aren't you?"

"Yeah."

"Oh don't sound surprised. You can't spend more than a few days in the area without hearing about your parents at some point. They're a bit of a household name around here."

I just nodded, feeling a little awkward about the situation. 

Jon rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "This may sound a little odd but... would you be willing to show us around your house? I've heard it's a real sight to see, and, I mean, I understand if you feel uncomfortable with letting 'commoners' walk around in your parents mansion..."

I took a moment to think it over. "Well, my parents are at a business meeting, and most of the staff are busy preparing for the charity banquet a couple days from now, so it's going to be kind of hectic..."

"Oh, we promise we won't wander around and we'll be quiet. We'll just stick close to you so we don't get in the way."

"I... guess I don't see the harm in it..."

"That's a yes? Oh Shana you're the best!"

Both him and Jack were oddly excited about the whole thing, but I didn't think much of it at the time. The tour of sorts wasn't very memorable to me because I live there. They both appeared very interested the whole time, especially Jack, who almost looked like he was trying to memorize the place. I should have suspected something when I didn't see them again the day after.

Edited by MenaAthena