The Orchestra

CloakofCrow

Disparel makes a face of utter disgust and disappointment, "What the fcku man, you turned a perfectly beautiful glass of wine into a fckuing child's drink!" He face-palms and pretends to cry. Or maybe he was crying...

Bengie gives up trying to make conversation with anyone and swigs down his whole glass of champagne in one gulp. He wondered why it was so impossibly difficult to have simple conversations with others.

(I'm guessing the guys at the town won't be seeing any action due to the absense of people.)

Jakob snorts.  So far, this "immensely powerful demon lord" was turning out to be somewhat or a letdown.  "Well, it's still very alcoholic.  And strong.  You really can't drink too much at a time, or else the 'stumbling around drunk' part will overtake the 'focused and ready' part."

Disparel whirls it in his palm and smiles at the heat emanating from it. He stares into it and a small portion of it floats out and into his mouth. He gags on it and starts coughing out fire, "*clears throat* Was not... *cough* expecting... *cough* that terrible taste." He bangs his fist on the table after his coughing fit and slides the glass over to Jakob. He grabs Shana's glass of water and pours it down his throat to get rid of the taste. A servant quickly refills it for Shana. "Keep that thing to yourself from now on..."

The servants bring out small bowls of soup with tomatoes, peppers, and other vegetables in preparation for the main meal. Bengie lifts the designated spoon for soup and begins eating/drinking it.

Edited by CloakofCrow

Disparel sits in silence and drinks a little bit of soup with his bread. "You know what my mother said once?" he finally spoke up, "Sharing meals is one of the most important things in a family. It isn't just sitting down and eating food, but it is the conversations that happen between people. You are sharing your life with these people, not only your meal. Nobody is going to dare speak against you or stop you because this is my house, if you'd rather starve up in the cold wasteland above, be my guest. Just for the love of (god?), let's have a nice dinner."

Edited by CloakofCrow

(Hey, you haven't exactly given him reason to be nice.)

Jakob sighs.  "Fine.  What do you want to talk about."

[Talk about complicated past]

[Comment on earlier fight]

[say nothing, quite hypocritically]

"Well, if you're expecting a long and tragic story about how miserable my life was, you're out of luck.  I had friends.  Friends!  Can you believe it?  Now all I have to deal with is a catatonic girl and Shyness Incarnate over here."

Jakob downs the rest of his wine, which had apparently gotten to him more than expected.  All the same, he wanted to tell his story anyways. 

"Many years ago, when I was still a kid..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derric's Glen was a very old place, and had a very long history.  To most people, it was known as a quarry that had been abandoned and overgrown.  For the most part, this was true - the vast pits and chasms that dotted the place were certainly real enough.  But for those who delved deeper into the Glen's past found much more disturbing rumors.  Ancient pagan rituals, people going missing and showing up drained of blood, plenty of things that would make any sane person loathe to enter the area.  However, it was mostly dismissed as an urban legend.

"Now I should say 'But sometimes, legends end up being true', but that's too cliche, so let's just carry on."

It was a sunny, pleasant day, and a far younger, shorter, and less badass Jakob Battal ran down one of the many paths through Derric's glen.  The eleven-year-old scrambled after a bright red ball, a look of glee on his face.

Before he could catch the toy, however, an older boy snatched it right out of Jakob's grasp.  "Hey, look at what I found."  He said to a couple others behind him.  "Lookin' for this?"  He asks Battal, holding it just out of his reach.  Jakob grabs at it, but the older boy pulls it back, laughing.  "Here, fetch!"  He says, throwing the ball away.

Jakob charges after it, understandably angry at the other boys; however, the ball is long gone.  He stops at the edge of a particularly deep chasm, staring in shock as his toy plummets into the abyss.

"Oh, sorry.  Was that yours?"  The boy laughs, right behind him.  Jakob turns around, and throws himself at the teenager, punching at him and yelling angrily.  He shouts in surprise, and shoves him off - right towards the gully.  Jakob's foot catches on a tree branch, and he falls backwards and into the void.  A tree root catches him, three feet down.

The teen quickly gets on the ground, having realized his mistake, and reaches out for Jakob.  "Grab on!"  He yells, his voice fraught with horror.  Jakob weakly holds out his hand, but is a moment too late.  The branch cracks, and he plummets into the darkness.

"I pause for dramatic effect."  Battal says, holding his hands in a grandiose posture.

Blaze sat in thought, wondering whether it would be funny enough to be worth breaking Opal out of her stupor as soon as Jakob begins telling his story so as to make the undoubtedly monumental amount of snarky remarks she would inexorably have at this point in the story. Blaze's train of though then wanders off to think about whether he subconsciously used the word inexorably to counter Quiet's use of the word catatonic. He quickly dismissed this thought and continued to ponder the dilemma at hand, then felt as if it would be stupid to continue writing this paragraph, as it was already meta enough in here as it is.

Opal stared down at the food that the servants had obviously brought, and was undoubtedly her favorite, as the servants here unquestionably /had/ to have mind-reading powers otherwise this entire sentence would be ridiculously silly. Whether she was simply oblivious towards Jakobs rather dramatic re-telling of his life story, or just ignoring him, even Onyx couldn't tell, her thoughts had been totally inaccessible to him ever since what happened earlier, despite them being freely accessible at any other point. She looked as if she was contemplating something, although it was hard to tell, as her expression had become mostly blank since they had arrived, betraying very little, if any emotion.

(Disclaimer : If anything I say is inconsistent with the current storyline, I urge you to tell me in a PM , as I am currently about as tired as Opal appears to be)

Edited by Blazingice26

"Hey, I'M the one tellin' the story here."  Jakob says, pointing a slightly unsteady finger at Disparel.  "Moving right along."

Jakob lies broken and bloody at the bottom of a long, deep shaft.  A ray of sun shines down the haft onto his body, creating an island of light in a wide expanse of darkness.  He is alive; though his breathing is weak and ragged.  He is clearly horribly injured. 

A pair of cold, white eyes gaze out from the unlit void, staring out at the boy.  Sniffing out the scent of his blood, which streams slowly across the uneven stone floor.  It is young, untainted, and gloriously fresh.  A hideously long tongue snakes across the ground, sucking up the blood like the proboscis of a mosquito.  The moment the liquid passes its lips, it immediately feels an unquenchable thirst for more.  The boy awakens just in time to see hundreds of the thin, hollow tubes slithering towards him out of the darkness.  He screams in childish fear, but he finds he cannot move.

The proboscis slip under his skin without meeting any resistance.  He watches in terror as they move towards his heart and veins, and then...begin to drink.

A burning sensation runs down his body as the Kavaedras injects a venom that will keep the blood flowing.  It slurps greedily, its many tongues turning a dark red as they fill with crimson liquid.  Jakob's skin becomes pale, and his head spins from blood loss.  He watches as the red ball is blown apart as a huge, misshapen hand crushes it.  The creature is moving towards him.  Six more eyes open as it draws near.

The servants hastily bring out the rest of the bottle and pour it into the glasses of Disparel and Jakob after giving a quick glance of confirmation to each. "I've never heard of such a thing in the world you come from, surely that wasn't what killed you."

Jakob ignores the drink and continues.  "It's called a Kavaedras.  A creature of darkness and hate.  They were driven from the surface a thousand years ago, and now they live underground.  Blood sustains it, strengthens it, and extends its life span.  This one had grown old and fat and powerful from feeding off people who had worked in the quarry.  They also usually lack eyes - this one grew itself a couple for use on the surface."