Players who join servers getting a copy of the world map to lessen server strain(?)

Could having players who join a server receive a copy of the server world to reduce the strain on the server and reduce lag? Of course the server will update the copies every time they log in...

(I don't know how the current practice is done so could you please shed some light to my ignorance?)

@rezecib, I mean a step further than than... hmm...  wait... does that mean that the clients get a copy of the WORLD that the server owns and that's what the user is client is actually playing in or is it that the clients just access the server's world and everything is loaded in the server's... umm... server?

@Asparagus, The server gives the client a copy of some of the world, but this copy only serves to provide enough information for the client to send commands to the server.

I think you might be asking for a trust-the-client system, which might be nice, but it would also be wayy more susceptible to cheating/hacks, and it would require a ground-up rewrite of the game...

I think you might be asking for a trust-the-client system, which might be nice, but it would also be wayy more susceptible to cheating/hacks, and it would require a ground-up rewrite of the game...

Ah... well... alright... I was wondering... well in L4D2 (and others)...the timing is fine... so... ah... yeah, thanks for clearing it up.

:wickerbottomthanks:  :wilson_vforvictory:

Archived