Banned players should drop everything

How come you guys haven't set it to empty a banned players inventory, since they can raid a chest start griefing them when you ban them everything they stole is gone forever....does that seem like something that could easily be fixed?  And is there a list of banned players so I don't have to wait to catch them one at a time being trolls?

And is there a list of banned players so I don't have to wait to catch them one at a time being trolls?
You mean like a public list of players others have banned? No. The devs have stated they have no intent to police in-game behavior. There was a discussion of a player-maintained list a while back and it became pretty apparent that getting it to work well would be very difficult and probably very vulnerable to being a griefing tool by itself.

But yes, having banned players drop their inventory would be really nice.

How come you guys haven't set it to empty a banned players inventory, since they can raid a chest start griefing them when you ban them everything they stole is gone forever....does that seem like something that could easily be fixed?

For now, a solution is to roll back the server to the day before they showed up. A pain, but it's what we have for now. However, I agree with you, having a player that has been kicked/banned drop their entire inventory is a great idea.

I wonder if it would be simple to add kill to the kick/ban button, so that they die (dropping all their stuff), then they're kicked, then they're banned. That seems like the easiest solution for someone to mod in.

I'd hate having to roll back because you could make lots of progress just for it to disappear because a Willow came on your server and burnt down everything they could in your base. Plus, just banning the person equals "I didn't drop my inventory but I did get auto kicked in a sense that I can't come on anymore." 

I wonder if it would be simple to add kill to the kick/ban button, so that they die (dropping all their stuff), then they're kicked, then they're banned. That seems like the easiest solution for someone to mod in.
 This is what I do when someone is votekicked from Maxwell's Playground, yup. I'll see if there's a nice way to modify the actual ban/kick buttons to do this.

Couldn't this be a griefing tool in and of itself? I could start a server, open it to like 6 players, let everyone gather and set up the base for me, then just kick them and keep all their stuff. I mean, just playing devil's advocate here. I think overall it's still a good idea. 

Couldn't this be a griefing tool in and of itself? I could start a server, open it to like 6 players, let everyone gather and set up the base for me, then just kick them and keep all their stuff. I mean, just playing devil's advocate here. I think overall it's still a good idea. 

And currently, I could also spawn all the stuff I want for me, delete their user sessions and destroy their work, and spawn 20 deerclops in their face.

True, but you'd only do that if you're knowledgeable about the console. Many hosts don't even realize the world has backups, let alone that they can replace stolen items with the console. "Kick them and take their stuff" would probably become the most common answer to any dispute. 

Host: Hey, give me that fire staff and marble suit!
Player: But I made them!
Host: *kicks player and takes their stuff*

Just saying that it gives MORE incentive to kick than you would previously have had for non-griefing reasons.

True, but you'd only do that if you're knowledgeable about the console. Many hosts don't even realize the world has backups, let alone that they can replace stolen items with the console. "Kick them and take their stuff" would probably become the most common answer to any dispute. 

Just saying that it gives MORE incentive to kick than you would previously have had for non-griefing reasons.

That's admin abuse, you the Devs should probably police things like that, but hey, it's really up to them.

Host: Screw you, *** *kicks player*

Honestly I don't see much more potential for admin abuse than we already have, as it is, I can kick someone and spawn in whatever I want.

The hosts aren't generally the griefers, and if they are, people just join a different game, but as it is right now, not all of your problems can be solved by hosting your own game, which in an online game, having the solution to every problem caused by the community be "host your own game" is the best you can hope for.

And is there a list of banned players so I don't have to wait to catch them one at a time being trolls?

This sounds useful, until a troll host sets up a world and bans people randomly, just to get them on the public list and potentially lock them out of other servers too.

Kick/Ban/Drop items combo sounds useful though. Assuming the host is a decent person, and even then, if they ban you for your items, you can just move on to a better host.

There is no point for hosts to kick a player For an item. Most of the hosts by now knows ​GetPlayer().components.builder:GiveAllRecipes()​ command, why the heck take more effort?

Also, I'll just c_spawn the stuff a griefer burnt, instead of reseting the server from a 3day interval.

There is a mod to drop all equipment on exit.

If someone wanted to say mod the mod, so that you can configure when you take said Ban action command it triggers the mod. 

Suggest if you want this drop everything on ban to exist contact the creator of said mod.

He could probably easily add that function as soon as he figured out the lines of code dictating ban and then writing code so that it would happen only on banning a player.

Howdy,

As a (small) streamer with an open server we do get trolls from time to time who come in & destroy and/or take premium items we have worked hard to get.

No, I don't run any mods (but maybe I should) as I've only been playing DS/DST for around 2 months as I like the stage of learning.

It would be nice when a player is banned that they drop their items & an icon shows up on the map showing their location when the were banned.

Yes, sure there could be abuse. But right now the folks who are hosting & building communities are suffering whereas the trolls who might create a server for others to visit & then take their stuff sounds less likely as trolls usually prefer quicker satisfaction then merely sitting around waiting for fish to swim in & be caught.

Baron Blackbird

http://www.twitch.tv/baron_blackbird

Archived