[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

I'm trying to do this for DST, and unfortunately, I can't seem to find a compiler in any of my files. Do I have to download one?

EDIT: I'm stupid. I realised that the way to get the Don't Starve Mod Tools were shown in the beginning of the video.

Edited by PyschoPickles

I fixed everything and I've now finished the art. While the mod itself loads in and I can play as the base character, my art and changes aren't transferring over. I've tried deleting the autocompiled zip and reloading it, but it still won't work.

İ just wanted to make mod for myself,i watched those steps and maked them one by one but end of the tutorials doesnt work compile of my pc i try the autocompile.exe and in the cmd screen by my hand doesnt work either. Please help me..

when i try to use the auto compiler it crashes and doesnt work,  so i followed the instructions but instead of using the auto compiler i just launched the game (letting it do its thing without the forced auto compiler that in the dont starve mod tools) it worked, just thought i would put this down if others were having problems.

is there a art tutorial? i am trying to make a tail preferably in parts so it would wiggle (move) the layout is different from the sample build (its more straight than curly), i get how to remove parts, but trying to make it at a different angle doesnt seem to work, i load it up in sprite its all over the place and when i try to arrange it in sprite and load up the game it loads in a curly original layout.

So when I put the cleared files in the exported files and replace them, the parts I didn't want (tail, ears, skirt) don't appear Spriter but they show up in the game. Did I forget to do something there? Someone else getting this problem? Kinda stuck 

Hello~

Very good tutorial. And the main thing that works so far. But I want to ask about some things:

1. How do I replace the starting items so that the game doesn't give out an error (I want to give the character a minerhat's)?

2. How do I change a character's name to my own in the character selection menu (Wilson's name is written there)?

3. What should I do if the new "modicon" doesn't appear in the game?

[Sorry for the mistakes, I don't speak English] 

I don't know if anybody else asked this but is there a way to use two different side heads (instead of the default head that gets mirrored). Me and my husband are trying to make a mod and we cant continue because there's no way to make two different side heads. I'd assume it's just some coding to not flip a sprite and use two different sprites right? We just need to know how to do that.

this is a great tutorial, but i seem to be having an error i have seen reported, yet have been unable to find a solution to. when i load up the world all is well, but the bigportrait is a big static box but thats besides the point. the issue is when i choose the character (tiki) my game begins to load, but stays on a beige screen forever until i close it. i can provide my client log if itd help me find a solution. thanks !

On 12/18/2014 at 4:31 PM, Dragon Wolf Leo said:

All edits to images will automatically compile except for modicon.png. This is what we need TEX Tools for. If you decide to draw a new modicon, use TEXCreator to convert from .png to .tex.

Can anyone tell me where can I find this TEX Tool?

22 hours ago, inferjus4 said:

Can anybody help me? My character is invisible despite the fact I compiled the .scml file with cmd.

All right, I watched the video and everything works fine now - except for floaty item, which still uses basic sprite for lying on the ground when dropped on the water.

On 12/18/2014 at 6:01 AM, Dragon Wolf Leo said:

DST Big Portraits and Names Additional Instructions

I'm trying to follow this for DST,  and have done everything correctly up to this point and even the highlighted step above, when trying to launch server to test mod, the server will not start, only happens when I turn on mod. Mod will load up with the description and such as expected but I can't see how the character looks in the select because I can't generate a world to get to it. Please help?

Edit: fixed, note for everyone MAKE SURE YOU RENAME EVERY INSTANCE OF ESCTEMPLATE YOU CAN FIND. CHECK EVERY FOLDER.

Edited by Magicphobic
Im dumb and figured it out.

buenas noches no hablo ingles, seguí todos los pasos al pie de la letra y descargué los archivos y programas correspondientes. pero, aparece un error que no me permite iniciar el servidor, no puedo encontrar el problema, alguien puede ayudarme.

good evening I don't speak English, I followed all the steps to the letter and downloaded the corresponding files and programs. but, I get an error which does not allow me to start the server, I cannot find the problem, someone can help me.

Hello this guide has gotten me further than any other the big problem is, when i compiled i dont think it added anything, also i renamed it all, the things in errors in the log, which was some images, still, errors, this time game just closed when it showed errors and in the logs it just shows the same as before, this is dst btw, thanks

Hey I ran into a really weird bug with the character's speech for the DST version of this. 
I gave my character custom speech and after a few in-game days my character reverts back to using Wilson's speech lines and I have no idea how to fix it. Does anybody know what causes that and how to fix it?

This is cool and all, but it is literally impossible to test out my mod.
I am making a DST mod, and there is no [character name]_none in my big portraits folder. There is only [character name] in my big portrait folder with their respective xml and tex files. I copied and pasted the only file and renamed it [my character's name]_none, and compiling afterwards. It's still not working, even though I renamed every instance of esctemplate and ESCTEMPLATE on my whole mod's folder. I am on the verge of giving up, someone help.
This is the error screen:

image.thumb.png.b1d71becef6c68211c1168afdcf769c6.png