[Tutorial] Using Extended Sample Character Template

Dragon Wolf Leo

So, I've come to notice an issue when using GIMP to edit the face files, (And other pngs), where it seems to not like the exported images, despite having opened the original sample ones, editing over top of it, never cropping or changing it's literal dimensions, and exporting over top of the file again, it seems to not like this at all.

I'm just not sure if there's any other way to edit these pngs without somehow causing it to not want to be compiled?

Here's what the compiler says when attempting this:
image.thumb.png.1ab9125875c98ec44d1375fe51decd27.png
The last part, where it successfully compiles, is where I replaced all of the images I had edited, and of course it works fine then.

9 hours ago, thekrocker said:

Hey guys. Is this still working? I need to create a new character but i read that it is not working anymore? 

Anyone did lately? 

It should still be working.

20 hours ago, HiddenRealm said:

So, I've come to notice an issue when using GIMP to edit the face files, (And other pngs), where it seems to not like the exported images, despite having opened the original sample ones, editing over top of it, never cropping or changing it's literal dimensions, and exporting over top of the file again, it seems to not like this at all.

I'm just not sure if there's any other way to edit these pngs without somehow causing it to not want to be compiled?

Also regarding my issue earlier, I basically just took all of the edited images into Paint.net and then saved them from that, and now everything is working, so something about how GIMP exports png might cause issues with the compiler.

Is there a video walkthrough for the DST edition one, or do I just follow the same way the older walthrough does?

I've been having issues in making my mod, it won't explain to me why the mod does not work, and even the logs don't say anything, I really hope there will be an up-to-date video, though! ;-;

When I'm following everything it replaces esctemplate with charactername in 71 files, not 33.

The first time it worked normally but when I tried to do second mod everything went wrong in both mods, I don't know what happened, I've done everything in the same way.

Hi, Thanks for the tutorial. I just have one problem though,
Whenever I try to start up a world with the mod enabled, it will crash, I checked the logs and one of the lines it has confuses me. It would say:
"error loading module 'speech_Logan' from file '../mods/Logan the Tech-Savvy\scripts\speech_Logan.lua':"
and
"[string "cannot OLDFILEACCESSMETHOD @../mods/Logan the Tech-Savvy\script..."]:392: unexpected symbol near '/'"
Do you know any way to fix this?

I followed the video, and the text guide. It says it found 21 instances and 1 instance of esctemplate to change to my character name. Then i save and open the modmain and everything still says esctemplate :( When I run the search again it says 0 instances of esctemplate are found but they are still in the modmain file. Did all the other steps and cant open the compiler :/

For each new person, I would like to tell you the following:

1.- Although this template is outdated, it works perfectly in DS (I still haven't tried anything in DST)

2.- If you have problems, this link could help you 

3.- And if you're done with art and want to add special objects or features to your character, this other link will help you 

4.- And in addition to being updated (supposed), this guide will also help you if you are modifying in MAC 

This is the best I could rescue after reading each comment for hours. I hope it serves.

• Thanks 1

For the character appears in game is it obrigatory to create some big-port, mod-icon, etc? Or just the sprites?
Cuz I'm done with the sprites, checked on Spriter, and when i compile, update the mod, and try to create my char, it won't appear in game =/
Can anyone help?

print.png

I don't know how to do the starting inventory items, can someone help?

Code:

local start_inv =
{
    default =
    {
        "torch",
        "spear",
        "cutgrass",
        "cutgrass",
        "cutgrass",
        "twigs",
        "twigs",
        "twigs",
    },
}
end

Ok so everything went well on steam, the compiler, the game even loaded in which is amazing, first time I’ve gotten a modded character to actually load in.

but the only problem with my character when they load in? 
the character doesn’t appaear to exist.

none of their character art that makes them, the images or whatever the best term for it would be-are there. Yes the character talks, examines things in the environment with the voice I’ve chosen for them-but they Don’t physically appear like everything else as there’s just a shadow where they should be. Can someone help me out here?

image.jpg

53 minutes ago, YetiCake98 said:

Ok so everything went well on steam, the compiler, the game even loaded in which is amazing, first time I’ve gotten a modded character to actually load in.

but the only problem with my character when they load in? 
the character doesn’t appaear to exist.

none of their character art that makes them, the images or whatever the best term for it would be-are there. Yes the character talks, examines things in the environment with the voice I’ve chosen for them-but they Don’t physically appear like everything else as there’s just a shadow where they should be. Can someone help me out here?

image.jpg

Ok follow up, got the character to appear but his head is separated from his body, how do I fix?

I keep getting this error and do not know how to fix it, help would be appreciated: [00:01:36]: Mod: workshop-1966351168 (Garfield)    Loading modmain.lua    
[00:01:36]: MOD ERROR: workshop-1966351168 (Garfield): Mod: workshop-1966351168 (Garfield)    
[00:01:36]: Mod: workshop-369845558 (50 Saveslots)    Loading modworldgenmain.lua    
[00:01:36]: Mod: workshop-369845558 (50 Saveslots)      Mod had no modworldgenmain.lua. Skipping.    
[00:01:36]: Mod: workshop-369845558 (50 Saveslots)    Loading modmain.lua    
[00:01:36]: [string "../mods/workshop-1966351168/modmain.lua"]:50: module 'speech_garfield' not found:
    no field package.preload['speech_garfield']
    no file '../mods/workshop-1966351168/scripts/speech_garfield.lua' (checked with custom loader)
    no file '../mods/workshop-666155465/scripts/speech_garfield.lua' (checked with custom loader)
    no file '../mods/workshop-375850593/scripts/speech_garfield.lua' (checked with custom loader)
    no file 'scripts/speech_garfield.lua' (checked with custom loader)
    no file 'scriptlibs/speech_garfield.lua' (checked with custom loader)
    no file 'scripts/speech_garfield.lua' (checked with custom loader)
    no file '../mods/workshop-1966351168\scripts\speech_garfield.lua'
    no file '../mods/workshop-666155465\scripts\speech_garfield.lua'
    no file '../mods/workshop-375850593\scripts\speech_garfield.lua'
    no file 'scripts\speech_garfield.lua'
    no file 'scriptlibs\speech_garfield.lua'
    no file 'scripts/speech_garfield.lua'
LUA ERROR stack traceback:
        =[C] in function 'require'
        ../mods/workshop-1966351168/modmain.lua(50,1) in main chunk

I'm trying to make my character's damage go up when his sanity goes down. my current code for that is:

-- Damage multiplier (optional)
        if inst.components.sanity.current <=31 then
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 1.5

elseif inst.components.sanity.current <=11 then
    inst.components.combat.damagemultiplier = 2

end

Am I doing something wrong? 

Great Template, Tutorial and all, but the mod won't compile. Any ideas on how to help with this?

I'm using DST

EDIT: I've gotten the compiler to work but the game crashes on loading. Any way to fix this?

Edited by kayden193161

On 12/27/2019 at 8:43 PM, YetiCake98 said:

got the character to appear but his head is separated from his body, how do I fix?

have you moved the head in the spriter file? If so, that doesnt work, you'll have to move the heads in the png until it lines up

18 hours ago, OKAYGUV said:

How did you fix the character not appearing?

Have you changed all of the names in the .scml inside and outside?

3 hours ago, The Noon Fish said:

have you moved the head in the spriter file? If so, that doesnt work, you'll have to move the heads in the png until it lines up

Have you changed all of the names in the .scml inside and outside?

It was my own silly fault. I wasn't compiling everything properly after changing the art in the exported folder. I ran the cmd prompts to convert the .scml file and everything is working properly now!

image.png.6793d03ae320285607388f5007d110d3.png

Hi everyone!

I'm new to modding any games but thanks to this tutorial, I managed to modify the sample character to my liking. I even went down the long road of editing the speech file's EVERY SINGLE LINE. The easy part is done, I still have to add a custom perk or two and editing the looks. And this is where my problems start...

I'm no artist, I can barely draw a straight line, let alone a complete cartoon character. I don't know any art programs, I have downloaded GIMP but I have zero idea how it works. I'd like to play as a hairy caveman who wears furs and has two horns on his head. I've even tried downloading Woodie's character from somewhere because he needs less editing. I don't really care about anything, as long as he looks like how I just described him.

Can anyone, who has some spare time help me out here and draw him for me?

Also, I'd like him to have an axe as a starting weapon. I still need to code that, but if anyone has the time to help me draw it, I'd really appreciate it. I'd like him to have a bronze/golden (doesn't really matter) double axe where one side is a lot bigger than the other. Sort of like a halberd without the spike.

I'm still trying my best, but it took me 1 hour to make a black triangle out of the sample pigtail... I feel lost and I have so much work in the character's personality...

Thanks for reading this!