Can't buy the Frontier Pack

So I just spent a long time to gather 5 euros to buy the Don't starve together Frontier Pack, now when I try to buy the pack I get this message:

Your account already owns some of the above items, so you can’t purchase them again. You can purchase these items as a gift or adjust the contents of your cart to continue.

I CAN'T purchase them as gift.

I was already thinking why Don't Starve would make this Frontier Pack and I think it's just to make money, not to let us actually "test" the beta. 

Very disappointing, wouldn't have though that Klei would do that.

(If there is a solution and someone knows what to do, please tell me)

Blackbeert

Actually, I believe the reason the Frontier Pack was created was because people were already buying and selling Beta keys for ridiculous prices, Klei wanted to put a stop to that by making the price for two beta keys a flat $5.00 with the frontier pack and to lessen the chance of people being scammed.

I CAN'T purchase them as gift.

I was already thinking why Don't Starve would make this Frontier Pack and I think it's just to make money, not to let us actually "test" the beta. 

So you think they are trying to make more money by not letting you give them more money?

F'ing genius, why didnt I think of that?

No, I think they're trying to make more money by providing the Frontier Pack. Why not give Beta acces to all Don't Starve owners? Because they want money for the keys. Then again they might have done that because people are selling DST keys on the forums but why doesn't Klei just make it free?

EDIT: No need to be rude please.

@Blackbeert,  Klei is making the game free for current DS owners... when it's fully released.

People buying keys now are buying into Open Beta AKA Steam Early Access. Please Google "early access games" and read anything on the first page. DST is not complete or fully released. There's tons of content missing because DST is still being developed. It is an incomplete game. If anyone can provide simpler terms to explain this, please do.

You can get DST for free if you already own Don't Starve. It's coming soon, and rumor is Spring 2015. People buying into beta right now are either eager to help test (pretty uncertain about that), or impatient to receive multiplayer (feeling pretty confident on this one).

Either way, open beta/early access is a choice. Klei is presenting an opportunity, in a legitimate way,  to participate in the development of their game. They did offer Closed Beta for free temporarily, but people have been scamming others with their free keys or directly stealing without giving keys. So now it's time for Open Beta, because now they're ready to offer the game to even more players, and for a set price where people aren't getting scammed by illegitimate/unknown players.

THE CHOICE IS YOURS. Receive the game for free a bit later, or pay now and receive it as it develops. The game isn't ready, there's no in-between here. Pay-to-play as it develops, or keep your panties on and receive it for free when it's complete. You can't have it both ways. 

She/He does have a point, they were giving out keys for free, even to people who do not own Don't Starve. Why not just make Don't Starve Together free for the people who do own Don't Starve? People who do not own Don't Starve do not get it (even if it is just the multiplayer) for free, and they are still making money because you have to buy Don't Starve to play it. Once DST is released from Beta, then they can jack up the price for DS like planned, and cut out all the confused frustration of... well... everyone.

I think they feel DST is too polished and are "losing" something by releasing it free now? I dunno, but Klei, I am sure, has their reasons.

Honestly, you can still win the keys for free... 

They do random giveaways on their twitch streams every Thursdays 3:30pm PST! Plus, they are fun to watch :)http://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment

I believe that selling keys, was just to curb the scamming going around, as people are just impatient :/ (no offense to anyone). When the beta game was first being open ( I was not there but I read other people and what they said) they had said that the game was crashed and wouldn't even work. Imagine a full beta release with tons of people not being able to play, posting the forums all over the place. I mean heck. Several threads just today on the same sort of topics. Just several different ones. Quite a few seemingly angry and disgruntled people, being mad at Klei for a Steam issue.  Bah. :/

At the end of the day they are the developers making this happen. If this is what makes them comfortable (not having a full release) than I am all for it. And support their continued work on releasing it for free to all DS owners, (and owners of the now beta, they will get the full version as well for free http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/45747-will-dst-remove-from-my-steam-account/?p=582185) ! :)

The could have curbed the influx of people by just continuing to let people apply for the keys and releasing them a little at a time like every other game does. Hearthstone, for example, spread their key release out over a span of 6 moths to prevent server crash. Less $ involved, but it relieves the stress on the servers. I am hoping the registration site doesn't crash again when they fix the discount issue. :/

There was also the issue of people selling extra keys for ridicolous amounts. And scammers taking games and money and giving no keys in return. steam purchable keys helps with that. And the price tags keeps the onflow of new players down a bit.

It was the best decision according to themselves. wich I agree with.

But im also sure things could have been handled in numerous other ways to.

I keep hearing about why don't you give it to DS owners for free... now.  The game is already going to be free for DS owners, you'll just have to be patient and wait.  

It's a beta, Klei owes nothing to anyone to even give it away for free to DS owners, let alone let everyone into the beta immediately. 

There's various logistical issues that go along with that. If everyone has access, then more stress is on the servers. And if everyone gets access at once and wants to post a bug report, how many people will post the same bug report?  Look at these forums and how many repeat topics are there on the same thing? This topic itself is a repeat topic of the same thing being discussed in another topic.  The bug report forum could become a giant cesspool of repeat topics, potentially making it harder to find bugs and fix them all.  And early on there were some bad lag issues (not that it's prefect now) but if everyone plays and deals with lag a lot of people will badmouth the game.   Let's be honest here, many people forget it's "beta" and expect it to be the complete game. And it could hurt future sales if people start posting negative reviews cause of something they didn't like in the beta.

As for the idea of controlling the influx by giving keys out over a 6 month window, the entire point of selling keys for $5 to DS owners was to curb the large amount of scamming going on by people selling keys. That rushed the release of all the beta sign up keys to Dec 15.  Allowing more people to sign up and then giving them keys over the next upcoming months wouldn't have done much to help as even some people that signed up for the beta were impatient and wanted the keys ASAP.  By selling them for $5 for DS owners this gave those people a legitimate way to get keys without trying to buy keys on the black market.

Quotes of the Dev's take on the matter of releasing the beta, as it was progressing.

As the game stands right now, it's just not ready for the general audience to play yet; but it is a huge help for us to get feedback from players, so it is critical that we have people playing and providing feedback; so we hand out keys daily so that we can bump up the numbers to be where we need them to be to test.

We're rolling out keys as fast as we're comfortable with: we're adapting and scaling as we go.

For links to the posts there should be an arrow in the quote to click on towards the right.

This isn't being hateful, it's a general discussion. This is my opinion and you can say what your opinion is, no need to be rude though.

I know, my point was that it's rude to accuse Klei of doing this for the money and not caring about their beta.

And it's my opinion that if you think they are trying to make money by limiting the amount of keys you can buy, you are a F'ing genius.

The could have curbed the influx of people by just continuing to let people apply for the keys and releasing them a little at a time like every other game does. Hearthstone, for example, spread their key release out over a span of 6 moths to prevent server crash.

Klei let people apply for keys for 48 hours and were overwhelmed by the influx. I'm sorry, I must have missed it, are you in charge of their capabilities? The devs have said repeatedly over the past several months that the interest and popularity caught them off guard and overwhelmed them, hence the revised plan for release. They did also pass out keys a little at at a time. They're an indie company though. To compare them to a company that absorbed others and ultimately brought us WoW and Diablo is ridiculous. Those are dreams, and certainly ones I support for Klei, but as much as I hate to admit it, they're not in the same league yet.

You know what's interesting? Hearthstone also had a closed beta period, and only released keys a little at a time to those who signed up. The current issue is not about closed beta release though, you're just sidetracking this. The game is open beta as of today. Unless either of us works for Klei or Blizzard, we can't truly compare either of their development and/or project plans for their individual games. And even if either of us works for one of them, we still can't compare seeing as how they're totally different companies and we can't publicly speak of our own plans without violating policies. We can only go off what we know as players... which is a gradual release for both games as their hardware/software supported it.

What I know is that until now, there have been tons of players who haven't participated at all in the development of DS or DST.  While you were around for beta-DS, and I appreciate that, your expectations of beta-DST don't mean it will become real. Where have you been this whole time?  Many of us are feeling disappointment in some ways, but it doesn't mean that what we expected, what we interpreted, was real. What's real is right in front of us. We can weather the storm the best we can while encouraging Klei to come out ahead - or we can spread stinkin' thinkin' of our own cynicism amongst other players, and drive new people away while still not getting what we want.

I, for one, hope Klei will prosper and believe that they all are trying to do right for themselves and all of us. They're giving me and others an awesome game simply for being a supporter and fan. Is it complete and available right now? No. Can I capitalize on a discount and get it for cheap for my buddies who don't receive the same discount? No. There are buggy things going on for you and others today, sure. But your hostility about an error on the part of Steam is coming through loud-and-clear as a problem with Klei instead, and could drive others away from a genuinely good gaming company.

I'll step out of this conversation now. My main point of all of this is to say that I recognize you're frustrated and upset, but you're adding to community dissension because of your feelings, rather than objectively reporting issues and solutions. The former harms the players and the company, instead of offering acceptance and support, and the real people who work there all-day-every-day to understand us.

None of this thread would exist if he was able to gift the game. That's the same problem I'm having, and I've already messaged Klei entertainment. I don't care about paying for a beta, I've paid for Star Citizen, brilliant idea that was, I just care I'm not able to purchase the damn thing.

None of this thread would exist if he was able to gift the game. That's the same problem I'm having, and I've already messaged Klei entertainment. I don't care about paying for a beta, I've paid for Star Citizen, brilliant idea that was, I just care I'm not able to purchase the damn thing.

This is what I was saying, everyone seems to be talking about different stuff.

Someone went way off on a tangent with a huge wall of text, but you you can buy and gift the game, just not at the $5 price because that is discount stacking, and that is not allowed by Steam. You may not have paid for your copy, but you own the game and that is all steam sees. If you want to gift DST, you can buy the mega pack and gift that. I hope that helps.

From another post http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46543-dont-you-want-my-money/: My thought is that since this (the Don't Starve Together game) is meant for a standalone for only those who bought the Don't starve base game, Klei is avoiding releasing the standalone as a legitimate standalone. Due to a duplicate discount issue Steam has, you are not able to gift the frontier pack either because you can just go around Klei and distribute the keys yourself again and again at the discounted price. This is just my interpretation.

I hope that made sense. Klei was being really generous in offering keys that could be used by people who had not purchased the base game (I keep saying base game like this is an expansion, but I mean really just the original Don't Starve game). 

Once again, you that you cannot gift just the frontier pack, and I don't think it is their intention to ever have that be.

@marmot, I'm glad that it worked out for you! :)

As for the topic, my feelings are at the end of the day it sounds like it is Steam's decision, their policy etc.

Going also by this,

Quote: Klei twitter

Also, while I was scoping out the greenlight section in Steam (awhile ago), I noticed a developer (not related to this game or company) mentioning about his game (forgot what game lol), he'd want to make it "cheap" as possible, but that it was up to steam to decide the minimum that he could do. I'm not sure how true this, but it's always made me wonder and think, "Hmm... That's Steam for you." Steam seems to have a bit more control in these things, than at least I personally first thought. *shrug*

...Klei....why the heck would you do this?

Damn it. I was intending to buy up some Frontier Packs and have a little giveaway contest. It would have been a lot of fun, I think! I can't even get ONE Frontier Pack because of how it's set up. Stacking loyalty bonuses, my [MEAN WORD]!

Thing is, shelling out $25 just to do the same thing seems bloody ridiculous.

@Silentdarkness1, I was having the same thought about giving keys away on my stream. But it is the way it is.

And its not a Klei Decision, its a Steam policy thing.

One solution is to gift the mega pack, another is to gift the standard dont starve game and then people (who didnt previosly own DS) can buy two DST keys for $5.

Not the same thing, I know. But that is the only way to do it.

@Silentdarkness1, I was having the same thought about giving keys away on my stream. But it is the way it is.

And its not a Klei Decision, its a Steam policy thing.

One solution is to gift the mega pack, another is to gift the standard dont starve game and then people (who didnt previosly own DS) can buy two DST keys for $5.

Not the same thing, I know. But that is the only way to do it.

From what I understand, it was a bit of both. Klei could have done this differently so that Steam wasn't getting in the way, but Klei purposely let it be set up this way to help deal with the problem of the "toxic grey market for DST keys.". I've been talking with @PeterA, that's what he told me.

Archived