possible solution for flint shortage at spawn

If you've tried to join a server that has been long standing( or maybe not so long) you've probably run into the same problem i have... No flint! as this is an essential item for any survivalist i would like to propose a solution. Maybe something you modders could tinker with?

What if all characters were given the ability to punch rocks until they break? I'm not saying make this a substitution for a pick axe, but maybe the character would have to punch it 100 times (or more) to get it to break. that way if there is no flint lying around then if you were to find a rock (much more likely sometimes) you would still stand a chance of survival. 

Thoughts?

hmmmm I guess that is a problem but it would be kinda dum to brake rocks with your fist even for wolfgang and almost nobody has the patience's to hit a rock 100 times that's almost all day in summer. there's bound to be a better solution to the problem than this but ya going into a server an the spawn area has no flint than try moving into a new area

I'll do some more thinking on the problum

I don't see why a starter pack hasn't been added. You get it in Light's Out and several Adventure chapters. Just a few meager twigs, grass, and flint isn't much but it'll keep you alive through the first day.

These supplies could be in the character's inventory at start à la character specific items, as I think a free backpack for everyone would be too much and a long-standing world would soon be overrun with them.

This should be in Suggestions and Feedback, I think.

Also, a more sensible solution is the option to give players a Starter Pack. 8 Twigs, 2 Berries, 1 Seed, 6 Grass and 3 flint.

This would totally take away the feel of, well, starting with nothing. People can survive nights with just torches, and it's not like grass or twigs are hard to find in a day, on any server. We can't cater to the people just starting this game, otherwise it'll be too easy and it will lose its charm. They just need to learn how to survive.

Maybe a big bird can swoop by and drop stuff! :wilson_flower:

Jumping in on random servers and realizing that there never really is much flint in areas that looked like they were explored and especially by spawn portal, I realized how greedy people can be  :razz: (really just might of been quite a few people joining that server and came and left) But I have always managed to find some, some were harder to find than others. Forces you to really explore, especially to find the rock biome or locate the base camp someone has. Really I just been thoughtful of this and try not to pick much up if I see it by the start, for other people who come after me. Or if I go near spawn I drop some that I have for newcomers.

I mean on really large servers where you got quite a few people coming and going. I could see a potential larger issue. But at the moment I've not personally been tremendously hindered by it. And generally I come across the rock biomes and/or random flint on the ground. But I've definitely thought about the flint issue. 

I'm kind of impartial to the idea. Kind of seems like minecraft in a way to "punch" rocks. Usually if you have see a bunch of rocks there will be flint around (that I've noticed). But then on a larger scale server or something this might not be the case. But then you have to wonder why can't your teammates share with you? I guess.

I wouldn't mind having a starter pack as an option when your the host. Like "enable starter pack for newly joined players" or something. Not sure if this could be a mod?

Edit: What people do usually, I noticed. Is fill a chest and people can take what they need. But I think people can be a bit greedy with it, so its like "Hm. What do I need only" vs. "oooh! look at all this stuff I now have!" lol

This would totally take away the feel of, well, starting with nothing. People can survive nights with just torches, and it's not like grass or twigs are hard to find in a day, on any server. We can't cater to the people just starting this game, otherwise it'll be too easy and it will lose its charm. They just need to learn how to survive.

See how far you get without flint. Also, the map gen options kinda invalidate this. Honestly, this game is, imo, carving your own experiences out. Sure, if you want to experience the experience the developers feel is optimal, go right ahead. But for the player(or server owner, in this case), who wants something different...maybe something a bit less punishing, maybe something even more brutal...heck, you could remove all other creatures from the game world and just have berry bushes and carrots if you wanted.

This isn't really catering to new players. It would be OFF by default. And the server owner has the option to turn this off at a whim. Not everything has to be strictly along what the developers dream of.

a starter pack consisting of 3 flint spawning around the portal maybe? and the flint could be anywhere in the 10-100 meters range (just randomly picked the number)

Nah, just set both meteorite options to lots and bring in the meteorapocalispe. You're not gonna be short on flint ever again :) (jk)

If flint is all you're asking for then here's what we need: the freakin dropped seeds which none-picks-up-and-leaves-to-rot should grow into basic stuff that is mostly found in that specific biome. That's not only grass tufts, saplings, carrots, mushrooms and reeds I'm talking about (not the berry bushes. That's what berries are for. But srsly?! You can't plant berries for berry bushes?!); I'm talking about, yup you guessed it - flint and rocks. Don't judge just because it doesn't make sence for rocks to grow from the seeds dropped on the ground by birds, because in all honesty NOTHING in this game makes sence. Like I can't even figure out the link between adventure mode and Wilson building the Jury-rigged portal; good luck making sense with that, Klei, and I'm not even being sarcastic.

Like I can't even figure out the link between adventure mode and Wilson building the Jury-rigged portal; good luck making sense with that, Klei, and I'm not even being sarcastic.

Given the timeline that Kevin gave us,

tumblr_nciof3w8js1r4q7yco1_1280.jpg

my guess would be that Wilson was on the Throne long enough not only to find and observe the other residents on the island, but to experiment with building. Not just building structures, but bridges more or less. However, as he isn't on the Throne for DST (I'm assuming given the wording) I think it's safe to assume he used the new knowledge in his now tainted mind (I'm not crazy!) to bring together those who he saw during his time as king.

Don't take my word as official though, it's just my speculation.

punching rocks just taking more time? next you'll want the world to be cubic.

Now, as some have stated above me, you can easily get some more flint by exploring, using torches at night, until you eventualy stumble upon a base to raid a meteor site, where there will probably be some flint.

ok. so i guess punching rocks is sorta stupid but my concern is that once more dedicated servers are up, which i hope to do at some point, then the 100 day+ servers will have a severe problem on their hands. My thoughts are that rocks are a renewable resource now with meteor rocks, but plain old flint isn't. Maybe some other primitive tool to break the rocks at a higher hit count might work to solve this. I'm not to fond of the idea of starter packs because it nullifies the challenge this game presents in initial resource gathering to survive. 

And to those of you comparing punching rocks to minecraft, it's not the only similarity to that game. (ie crafting, resource gathering, etc.) but that does not mean that this type of feature would make don't starve into minecraft. its just a possible solution to an existing problem.

Possible Solution: Wooden-tier items. Allow players to punch trees (30 hits per tree to get logs). Let logs make wooden pick, wooden axe. 30 hits with wooden pick breaks stone.

No minecraft, please.

Also:

How would you get wood if you need wood to get wooden tools to get wood from the trees and in order to get that wood you need something else, but it can't be wood because you can't use your fists to get wood, so you need something else than wood, which then would be the flint tools themselves -_-

Sorry for saying wood so much, but there's no other way to explain it.

How would you get wood if you need wood to get wooden tools to get wood from the trees and in order to get that wood you need something else

Allow players to punch trees (30 hits per tree to get logs). It'll take slightly more than the ability to effectively punch trees to turn DS into Minecraft.

Although it may not solve the larger, overarching issue of flint reduction overall, I advocate for leaving flint near the span when I can. When I first start, I avoid taking any until I'm at quite a distance. Being experienced players, we can take it. ;)

This is a HUGE issue in dedicated servers I think. At least the one I played on - the Amazon 24 population one. There was NO flint anywhere on the ground toward the end of my 6 ish hour play session. And it wasn't just because Everyone was taking it - No one had any tools at that point really because it just wasn't there. The chat was spammed with people begging for flint LOL

Archived