a question about reeds

Yeah they regrow, its a shame you can't replant them though. Even if they had to stay in the swamp id like to group them together :p Im only really posting because i went through 2 bird traps and all i could catch were red birds. Couldnt get a single crow for sleep darts lol

Quick question while we're on the topic of reeds, what's the benefits of using sleep darts over a pan flute? I've made my fair share of both but hadn't had the chance to use them much. At first glance it's obvious that pan flute is so much easier to make.

Guest Dandytard

Dang it, Again misread the topics name. I thought it was 'A question about weeds', Something I was going to explain thoroughly, Since I pick these nuisance plants constantly from my garden.

Quick question while we're on the topic of reeds, what's the benefits of using sleep darts over a pan flute? I've made my fair share of both but hadn't had the chance to use them much. At first glance it's obvious that pan flute is so much easier to make.

Personally, I don't think there ARE any benefits to use sleep darts over the pan flute. The pan flute is easier and cheaper to make, it has an AoE (a pretty good one too), AND it can be used 5 times. Where as the darts can only be used once (they can stack, however), materials are harder to get, and can only effect 1 target. Let me know if there's something I don't know about the darts but so far, all evidence points towards the pan flute being utterly superior.

Yeah they regrow, its a shame you can't replant them though. Even if they had to stay in the swamp id like to group them together :p

Actually this is one feature that I like. It gives the player a reason to travel to the swamp, other than for gathering spikey sticks and fishing in ponds. The issues with "turtling" would be reduced if the Devs created more reasons like this for players to travel across the islands.

Personally, I don't think there ARE any benefits to use sleep darts over the pan flute. The pan flute is easier and cheaper to make, it has an AoE (a pretty good one too), AND it can be used 5 times. Where as the darts can only be used once (they can stack, however), materials are harder to get, and can only effect 1 target. Let me know if there's something I don't know about the darts but so far, all evidence points towards the pan flute being utterly superior.

You have a valid point there. The only thing I can think of in which the dart is superior is in the time needed to use it.

I may be wrong here (probably) but the flute needs a couple of seconds of use to activate, whereas the dart is instant.

If you are interrupted while playing the flute they attacking mobs don't get asleep, don't they?

Even then, it's a really small gain.

Perhaps you should craft the blowdart as a separate item, and use stings in your inventory as ammo. Give the blowdart a durability and a reasonable reloading time so that you can continue using it on multiple targets without having to put a new one on the hand slot each time.

You have a valid point there. The only thing I can think of in which the dart is superior is in the time needed to use it.

I may be wrong here (probably) but the flute needs a couple of seconds of use to activate, whereas the dart is instant.

If you are interrupted while playing the flute they attacking mobs don't get asleep, don't they?

Even then, it's a really small gain.

Perhaps you should craft the blowdart as a separate item, and use stings in your inventory as ammo. Give the blowdart a durability and a reasonable reloading time so that you can continue using it on multiple targets without having to put a new one on the hand slot each time.

You make a good point as well, and you're absolutely right it does have about a second "casting time" we'll call it, in which if you're attacked you get interrupted and don't get to use it, which can be very troublesome in the heat of battle. I wouldn't necessarily call the darts "instant", they certainly have a faster casting time than the pan flute but they still have a split-second delay for a casting time. Although as far as if you can be interrupted within that split second I haven't a clue, but the chances are slim to none if any because it's so fast. Also you should note that darts can keep their stack when you have them equipped, so you can technically have up to 20 in your hand at a time (at least I think that's its stack max). I like your idea on the gun and the darts being their own items, but even then I'd feel I'd stick with the pan flute (due to its AoE nature). Plus it helps I've already gotten used to the delay and when I hear those growls I get my flute at the ready. :p

Actually this is one feature that I like. It gives the player a reason to travel to the swamp, other than for gathering spikey sticks and fishing in ponds. The issues with "turtling" would be reduced if the Devs created more reasons like this for players to travel across the islands.

With this in place, id prefer it if u cudnt transplant grass and saplings either. For the same reasons u stated. There really is no reason to have it all at ur base and i can keep a steady stack of 40 by just walking through areas picking up what i used.

Actually I find it a lot easier if I don't transplant the grass and saplings, I avoid moving berry bushes as well and simply have multiple camps. In the end it's simply more convenient and fun for me to do different things in different locations. What I'd really like to see is a fish drying rack for my swamp base, and maybe some other things that would make that particular camp fire location more unique and interesting.