Close the Key Depot to protect your Customers!

Close the Key Depot  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Close the Key Depot since it has more negative effects than positives?

Here's the thing. I am not terribly happy about it either. I have done pretty much all I can to make sure that everybody who goes there is aware of the risk involved in trading with others. 

The reason it even exists, is because if it didn't, we would have those posts flooding general and this at least funnels most people to a place where they can feel free to post. And frankly we don't really feel comfortable telling people that they can't give away or sell their keys. (We want you to give them to your friends, but we can't force you)

If I didn't do it this way, and instead said "No key trading, whatsoever" we would have arguments over posts, and force people to go somewhere else where I can't control how informed they are about the risks involved. 

One of the motivating factors for only providing one key was to see if limiting supply and adding more beta registrants would alleviate some of this pressure. It did not, it only made the keys more "valuable" and therefore higher stakes and more irritation.

We have been talking about this quite a bit for a while now and how we can fix it. We are getting that ready for you all now, and will have information as soon as we can. 

Here's the thing. I am not terribly happy about it either. I have done pretty much all I can to make sure that everybody who goes there is aware of the risk involved in trading with others.    The reason it even exists, is because if it didn't, we would have those posts flooding general and this at least funnels most people to a place where they can feel free to post. And frankly we don't really feel comfortable telling people that they can't give away or sell their keys. (We want you to give them to your friends, but we can't force you)   If I didn't do it this way, and instead said "No key trading, whatsoever" we would have arguments over posts, and force people to go somewhere else where I can't control how informed they are about the risks involved.    One of the motivating factors for only providing one key was to see if limiting supply and adding more beta registrants would alleviate some of this pressure. It did not, it only made the keys more "valuable" and therefore higher stakes and more irritation.   We have been talking about this quite a bit for a while now and how we can fix it. We are getting that ready for you all now, and will have information as soon as we can. 

I blame how hard it apparently is for some people to read (surprisingly, I was born in this generation). Seriously, I've only seen 5 Members on these forums actually know what they're posting or edit and say "Nvm, found it." without needing clarification. It's good to answer questions, as long as they're about something not talked about.

Plus, if they did close the depot, they'd go somewhere more sketchy with a higher chance of things going badly.

Like 4Chan? Nah. I think they'd flood the General Discussion thread.

I don't think "wanting vengeance" is a very good way to put it.  They're just trying to keep others from falling into the same trap they did.  And I get that key trading isn't encouraged, but the fact that there's an entire subforum dedicated to it makes it seem like it's a perfectly safe route to travel.  Which even Klei admits it isn't. 

It's probably half vengeance and half helpful, but it's not without some sort of personal vendetta. If the poster came in here without getting bamboozled for doing something wrong then I would have a bit more sympathy. Hypothetically if the poster did get the key, I bet this post by the OP would not even exist in the first place. Or even did the research before (not after the fact) the transaction took place to know who was a con artist and who wasn't. All the while demanding Klei to take action for taking wrong action out of desperation and delusional assumption.

wait, 40-50dollars for a beta key?

IM CHANGING MY VOTE TO NO, not shutting down this cash cow, I gonna be a beta key broker now.

the sad part is that I actually considered selling my keys for absurd prices and laughing maniacally while desperate people bought them....

Thankfully the number of key changes made it so I can't do this(already promised the extra key to a friend).

P.S.: I try not to be a bad person, but it's so hard...

Klei already warns everyone that trading keys isn't recommended (thanks @Klei_Bot!), but I agree.  The key depot is, for the most part, just a bunch of people scamming people out of both their keys, their games, and their money.  Hate to make such a blatant generalization, but every day people say "I got scammed by so-and-so" and the like.  I myself am one of these people.

I don't think "wanting vengeance" is a very good way to put it.  They're just trying to keep others from falling into the same trap they did.  And I get that key trading isn't encouraged, but the fact that there's an entire subforum dedicated to it makes it seem like it's a perfectly safe route to travel.  Which even Klei admits it isn't.

Thats the point! I wasnt even aware about steam scamming before. Call me naive but i usually trust in other people and havent had any problems with it yet.

It's probably half vengeance and half helpful, but it's not without some sort of personal vendetta. If the poster came in here without getting bamboozled for doing something wrong then I would have a bit more sympathy. Hypothetically if the poster did get the key, I bet this post by the OP would not even exist in the first place. Or even did the research before (not after the fact) the transaction took place to know who was a con artist and who wasn't. All the while demanding Klei to take action for taking wrong action out of desperation and delusional assumption.

No doubt i think DST is an awesome game and i would pay to participate in the beta phase. I have already done this several times with no problems and there is nothing wrong with that decision.

But did you even read the whole thread or do you just want to speculate about my reasons (i can tell you the story via pm but not in this thread pls) I already mentioned i have been scammed by the same people like many others here but i was able to help myself! I got my stuff back! There are no reasons for a personal vendetta for me. Please try to be constuctive and stick to the topic!

The difference here is that the 75% of the people with keys in the subforum are scammers. I learned my lesson and now i try to inform other people who are not aware of that. Many of them thanked me cause i added them on steam and told them not to trade. For some of them it was already too late and they always told me the same names. Some of them lost CS GO Items, some of them get a recharge via paypal. Which leads me to the conclusion that People in the subforum seem to be so obsessed to get a key that they dont look at one of those Warnings. Maybe they dont even read them.

Please dont underestimate that a lot of people only sign up on the official website to ask for a key in the official forum. They dont care about the forum, me, you or the things posted here cause they want to play the game. And when they finally decide to pay for the game, they get scammed on the official website and all they hear is that it is their own fault for being dumb. Tbh I dont feel like thats the right place for that. If you want to get into such troubles use google and Search for "Don´t Starve together Beta Key Buy" and hope for the best to find a serious EXTERNAL website.

Plus, if they did close the depot, they'd go somewhere more sketchy with a higher chance of things going badly.

Well at least it wouldnt be the official forum of the game. People will have to do some research before they come into that said sketchy situation, so most of them wont do it anyways, cause it doesnt look safe in the first place. And the ones who still try, know that this isnt the official website so they may get in some troubles...

The reason it even exists, is because if it didn't, we would have those posts flooding general and this at least funnels most people to a place where they can feel free to post. And frankly we don't really feel comfortable telling people that they can't give away or sell their keys. (We want you to give them to your friends, but we can't force you)

but we already have people going into threads in GD and begging for keys :<

Well at least it wouldnt be the official forum of the game. People will have to do some research before they come into that said sketchy situation, so most of them wont do it anyways, cause it doesnt look safe in the first place. And the ones who still try, know that this isnt the official website so they may get in some troubles...

Those are reasons to have an official place, not the other way around.

Those are reasons to have an official place, not the other way around.

Well thats true in the case if the whole idea of the Official key depot would work which it isnt. Just watch how many people offer keys there and how many ask for keys. Now look up the Offer Threads and subtract my posted links (20%)in my first post. What you get is like 1-2 real threads in the last 3 weeks where someone really got a key out of it. (5%)

On the flip side of the coin now search up all the Ask Threads and check them if someone was asked for his steam data or just funny people wishing good luck to find a key. 75%

See the problem?

No think of you in a situation where you register on the official website of a game you really really want to play, but you need a key first. Will you post a thread or will you check the Threads who are claiming to have keys?

Unless Klei directly involves themselves in each trade, there is no way to make sure trades are not scams. I think we can all agree on that. Involving Klei directly in every trade is an immense and impractical waste of Klei's time. However, short of that, I don't think a Klei official forum is necessary. I don't see how the Klei-Bot warnings are much different from doing trades on a non-Klei supported site (Ebay, Craigslist, steam chat, etc). There, it's obviously not Klei-supported. The risks are the same for any trades made on those sites.

In writing this, I've convinced myself that the key forum makes the scam situation worse, not better. These are official Klei forums, and people want to believe that posters in the official forums will be honest, no matter the warnings. Without direct Klei supervision, the forums are providing an unpoliced place for scammers to focus on their target audience.

Suggestion for a solution: Make a new forum rule, no key trading on the forums. Close the key forum and write up a reason why in a sticky. Don't remove the key depot, just close it. Close any new threads on key trading. I doubt there will be many - mostly the people who can't/don't read and probably wouldn't have read the Klei-bot warnings anyways. This situation only lasts as long as the closed beta. Any extra work monitoring the regular forums should be minimal.

No think of you in a situation where you register on the official website of a game you really really want to play, but you need a key first. Will you post a thread or will you check the Threads who are claiming to have keys?

I'd see a lot of Klei-Bot posts, probably.

Just change "Key Depot" into "Free Beta Keys" or something like that wherein people actually start being human and not be selfish profit-whores.

The only thing I disagree about is Klei allowing players to turn keys into business.

With all honesty, Key Depot is just a titanic septic tank for storing "i want key" and "how do get key" threads.

If you want to buy or sell keys then you should record everything so that IF you are being scammed then you have proof that if you are buying keys:

1) The key can not be used.

2) That you are giving some stuff as payment

3) That the trade is accepted by both players(you and the other one).

4) The chat between both of you.

5) His/her profile

What you should record when selling a key:

1) The mail from Klei

2) That you are giving the key

3) That the trade is accepted by both players(you and the other one).

4) The chat between both of you.

5) His/her profile

I forgot something?

I think that this is what you should do when doing any trade when it contains a product code(in this case Don't Starve Beta Key)

I think that the key depot should stay BECAUSE that Klei are warning about it.

But I think also that there should be some sort of warning when making a post ex "All DS users will get DST for free when it goes public so trade at your OWN RISK" I have been thinking on buying 1 key but I think that I will wait :grin:

I'd rather people get cheated and scammed on the forums where Klei-Bot can warn them and Klei can possibly take action, then some shady place like the steam forums or something. They can also measure how badly the key stuff is getting this way.

To everyone wanting to buy keys, I understand their motives. There is friends I would like to join me in MP, but would require me buying keys. If you want to buy a key instead of wait, hopefully you find a nice person to help you. I really do look forward to playing with a bunch of happy and eager strangers.

Trading anything that isn't in your Steam Inventory is just a sketchy idea all together. It always has been. I'm pretty sure even Steam tells you not to do this, because you'll probably be scammed. Just sayin :razz:

That's correct and for steam it is even a ban-able offense... For the seller and buyer if steam has proof a steam key was sold outside it's environment they may have reason to suspend you're account for it.

On some site's where steam key's are sold as "gift" to speed up the there distribution system is now a warning displayed that steam may suspend your account when the found out you bought a steam gift.

So steam tries to protect there community members but also there income. 

But back on topic... Some one said post proof of that you are scammed but what would solve that ? The only thing you do then is name shamming and it solves nothing.

As I said and i'm not sure if it's possible never had a key DST beta key but can't the seller redeem it on his own account and stuff it in his steam inventory so it's trade-able in a steam trade?  Because when you buy something on steam or receive a key you get the option to store it as a gift or add it to your game library 

That's correct and for steam it is even a ban-able offense... For the seller and buyer if steam has proof a steam key was sold outside it's environment they may have reason to suspend you're account for it.

On some site's where steam key's are sold as "gift" to speed up the there distribution system is now a warning displayed that steam may suspend your account when the found out you bought a steam gift.

So steam tries to protect there community members but also there income. 

But back on topic... Some one said post proof of that you are scammed but what would solve that ? The only thing you do then is name shamming and it solves nothing.

As I said and i'm not sure if it's possible never had a key DST beta key but can't the seller redeem it on his own account and stuff it in his steam inventory so it's trade-able in a steam trade?  Because when you buy something on steam or receive a key you get the option to store it as a gift or add it to your game library 

Where does it say Steam will ban you? All I've ever seen for Steam is pretty much the same policy Klei has - "we're not responsible if you do something stupid outside of steam trading"

I remember when i signed up for smnc beta (an almost dead game now) but they ended up sending beta invites of smnc through steam gifts, this was like dota beta too, maybe they will do that for don't starve together

great game though, just saying.

Anyway, I happen to believe a good portion of the yes votes just want it shut down because they don't want to pay for a key and therefore don't want others to either.

great game though, just saying.

Anyway, I happen to believe a good portion of the yes votes just want it shut down because they don't want to pay for a key and therefore don't want others to either.

speculations more or less!

But anyway until 15.12 Klei announced everyone of the 80k people will get their... So prices will fall anyway and the key selling will hopefully stop

If people want to spend money on keys, let them. If they get scammed for it, let them. It's common human trait, greed, some people just want money. If you're that impatient that you need to spend real money on a key just to get into a closed beta, then you my friend have some serious issues. (I'd hate to meet you in the McDonalds food line.) The beta is for people to test the game and check it for bugs and report them. YES the beta is FUN but it's not a finished product, why pay for something that's not finished? It's like paying for a half built house. You got the roof, the floor, the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom...but wait...NO WALLS?! 

For the people buying the keys, I'm pretty sure there was a disclaimer saying that they're not responsible for what happens during transactions. I hate to say this, but if someone really felt like it they could turn around and attempt to sue Klei for being scammed. Since

A) The beta key is apart of Klei and is attached to you, company wise.

B) If people see this happening a lot (like I am guessing they are by now) a lot of people won't want to even touch the beta, therefore ruining any chances to collect data.

C) People who are new to Don't Starve who have been looking at the game might not bother to even get it.

Archived