Chests locks.

So, when you are playing in a server it happens that sometimes someone steals all your items and leaves the server.

I suggest 2 items: the lock and the key. The lock will (obviously) lock the chest, and the owner of this lock will be able to craft specific keys for this lock, so he can give copies to his friends. What do you think?

The key aspect of this idea would be interesting to see the mechanics behind that. But having user-specific locked chest option is definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to multiplayer on a game like this, in my opinion anyway. Hopefully Klei already has plans about this just waiting to be implemented or coded in.

If you want to have your own items on public DST server I would consider a chest which everybody can use but is not shareable.

Example: You put some items in that chest and than your friend wants to use it and he can't see any of your items, instead he can put his own stuff in there and you won't be able to see his items. All of those chests would have same inventory that means you have only 9 slots for your personal stuff. Items would not drop from destroyed chest because they would be bound to the account of the player. Chest schodnt be cheap because it means a easy way of item transfer/teleportation through the map as you put more than 1 chest in the world.

This is a mechanic of a Ender Chest in Minecraft and I think it would fit DST.

I think an easier method would be to have a "Secure Chest" and if you want to lock it, you just type in a Number or a Password. So Lets say I put in a lot of gems in a chest, and the code to open the chest is 123, you would have to type in 123 to open the chest, otherwise only I can open it. If you try to open the chest when I lock it, there will be a prompt that says "what is the combination to this chest?" and when you type in 123, you'll get access to it. Make it a one time deal so you only have to do it once, and no one else can steal from you. Just make it so that Secure chests can only be broken by you with a hammer (and the other monsters that can break chests).

The key aspect of this idea would be interesting to see the mechanics behind that. But having user-specific locked chest option is definitely a step in the right direction when it comes to multiplayer on a game like this, in my opinion anyway. Hopefully Klei already has plans about this just waiting to be implemented or coded in.

HHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

I think the easiest way to implement this idea would be to have each person on the server have a specific "key value" assigned to them, so that any key or lock that had this value could only be used to open the specific chest in which they put their locks on. Resource costs for the key & lock would be something like 1 gold and a rope for a lock, and 1 gold and a twig for the key. I like the idea of this feature so we can dodge the threat of griefers and trolly friends alike.

I would suggest a chest that anyone can access. But the things you put in can only be seen and removed by you. Then no lock or key is needed at all.

So chest has 9 slots like normal.

player one puts 3 items in chest

player two opens chest and still sees 9 empty slots

player two puts in 6 items

player one reopens the chest and ses his/hers 3 items they put in earlier.

The chest would only be breakable when empty, and perhaps breakable by host.

This also wouldnt spam the world with individual chests that is only usable for one person.

I'd say there should be two/three kinds of chests.

The cheaper one would just be three planks plus, say, one gold for the lock. Then, you would either 1. create a CUSTOM KEY that would only work on chests made by the maker of the key. That, or there could be Tiers of keys, with really bad being made of sticks, up to say, one made out of thulecite for super important stuff. A chest that was locked could ONLY BE UNLOCKED BY THE SAME TYPE OF KEY. For example, if I used logs to make an ornate wooden key(sticks for regular wooden key), It could only be unlocked by an ornate wooden key. If I used a thulecite key, you would have to use a thulecite key to unlock it. It could also take a second to lock/unlock(Approximately the amount of time it takes for the divining rod to be stuck in its holder). 

The second kind of chest would be more expensive, needing electrical doodads and stuff. It would use a customizable four digit passcode.

There COULD even be a third chest that would need gears and more electrical doodads, for a WORDED passcode instead of numbers.

I would suggest a chest that anyone can access. But the things you put in can only be seen and removed by you. Then no lock or key is needed at all.

So chest has 9 slots like normal.

player one puts 3 items in chest

player two opens chest and still sees 9 empty slots

player two puts in 6 items

player one reopens the chest and ses his/hers 3 items they put in earlier.

The chest would only be breakable when empty, and perhaps breakable by host.

This also wouldnt spam the world with individual chests that is only usable for one person.

So, when you are playing in a server it happens that sometimes someone steals all your items and leaves the server.

I suggest 2 items: the lock and the key. The lock will (obviously) lock the chest, and the owner of this lock will be able to craft specific keys for this lock, so he can give copies to his friends. What do you think?

will discourge sharing

So that would be great and all except for one thing..... now I got a ton of keys to chests I gotta carry around all the time taking up valuable inventory space and "oh wait you built another locked chest?," one more damn key.  I had an interesting suggestion for this http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/42628-buried-chests/.  Check it out keep the discussion going. 

BUUUUURRRRIIIIIEEEEDD TREEEEAAAAAASSUUUUUURRRREEEE!

Archived