DST: IS-Unplayable.

sving

I'm sorry but this really shows how ignorent you are when it comes to game design and testing. This IS the testing, testing the lag thing before giving out keys is like saying they should have completed the game fixing all the bugs before they did the beta test, it just doesnt make sense

Check out the video first.

Now tell me can you test something with this lag?

Um... I'm not sure you understand what ping is. Ping is a measurement of the time it takes for a packet to travel from you to another computer and back. So if people have high ping, it's mostly a product of the physical distance between you and the server, not your or their particular connection or even the server's code.

That being said, lag is not just a product of ping. It seems that servers often fail to tick players frequently enough, which mostly affects the action prediction of clients. But as JBeetle said, dedicated servers are coming and those should improve the situation.

Didn't know about that, this is awesome ! Latency and rubberbanding should be dramatically reduced in that case.

Love the guy arguing that gameplay is more important than lag, he's hilarious.

I just joined a server, walked to a shrub, rubber banded back to the spawn, walked over again, rubber banded back to the spawn, this repeated 4 times before my character walked to the shrub, past the shrub and kept going until he was 8x the distance from the spawn to the shrub. Then I quit.

I wouldn't mind "gameplay bugs" if there was any way I could experience the game.

I wonder if Klei only tested DST on their LAN rather than regular internet, because lordy lordy this isn't playable.

Love the guy arguing that gameplay is more important than lag, he's hilarious.

I just joined a server, walked to a shrub, rubber banded back to the spawn, walked over again, rubber banded back to the spawn, this repeated 4 times before my character walked to the shrub, past the shrub and kept going until he was 8x the distance from the spawn to the shrub. Then I quit.

I wouldn't mind "gameplay bugs" if there was any way I could experience the game.

I wonder if Klei only tested DST on their LAN rather than regular internet, because lordy lordy this isn't playable.

This^ <3

Well, they only tested in one office. This was to make sure it's at least works.

And it's playable, I've got a group that made it past day 100 and from there, I made it day 203 and still going.

high ping is more about distance, bad host (internet or pc). ping have nothing to do with code, I have seen some streamers they don't have any problems, just occasional crashes because some conflicts in code, which is natural in a beta state.

I have 30 ping in any mp game in Europe, if I am a host on something you will have 100+ ping.

Well, they only tested in one office. This was to make sure it's at least works.

And it's playable, I've got a group that made it past day 100 and from there, I made it day 203 and still going.

Congratulations? I've got fiber optic in the UK and I'm joining European servers and it absolutely isn't playable. I've no idea what you're doing :)

Congratulations? I've got fiber optic in the UK and I'm joining European servers and it absolutely isn't playable. I've no idea what you're doing :-)

Everyone seemed to dodge the question I asked earlier, so I was wondering if you know the PC specs of the servers you're joining. That has a ton to do with it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Congratulations? I've got fiber optic in the UK and I'm joining European servers and it absolutely isn't playable. I've no idea what you're doing :-)

American-Flag-close-focus.jpg

It's probably that more Americans are lazy (like me) so they have more time to wander around on the internet but still do work. Also, there's 316.1 million people here in the United States. So, obviously most of the servers for Europeans are harder to access and vice verse.

American-Flag-close-focus.jpg

It's probably that more Americans are lazy (like me) so they have more time to wander around on the internet but still do work. Also, there's 316.1 million people here in the United States. So, obviously most of the servers for Europeans are harder to access and vice verse.

Well american internet is far worse than UK and Eu so it's not that. I'll take your reply as "No idea."

Everyone seemed to dodge the question I asked earlier, so I was wondering if you know the PC specs of the servers you're joining. That has a ton to do with it, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sorry. 

Some people said to me they have good computers.

But didnt tell me specs.

Well, the server in the OP's post is mine and I can say I had a ton of lag when playing on other servers last night. I tested the distance theory today by opening Don't Starve Together on my husband's account & desktop, starting a private server, and jumping in on my laptop & account. It didn't have as much rubberbanding, but still enough to kill off my character running from spiders.

Well, the server in the OP's post is mine and I can say I had a ton of lag when playing on other servers last night. I tested the distance theory today by opening Don't Starve Together on my husband's account & desktop, starting a private server, and jumping in on my laptop & account. It didn't have as much rubberbanding, but still enough to kill off my character running from spiders.

Distance isn't the only factor. Internet speed and computer specs are two other biggies (of both the client and the host).

I have no doubt there's lagging going on, but I don't see how it's always unplayable whenever someone tries.

Why does noone understand, what BETA really means? (Not only in DST, in every BETA game) D=

BETA doesn't mean "Hey, you can play it early, but it has bugs"

It means that YOU are the tester of the game and YOU are supposed to help fixing the game!

I plead my case :D This is the point I was trying to make, thank you

I just came in here to add that I was having nightmarish lag last night and I tried about 5 or 6 different servers. It's fine for gathering/crafting but when combat rolls out it's nearly impossible to kite or do any precise attacks.

Yes I know it's a Beta and we're supposed to help fixing the game, which is what I'm doing by adding that I'm also having this problem. I'm sure it will be fixed one of these days though.

My gf and I had been waiting to try the beta until a day ago when she got her keys. She lives in London, UK, I live in Georgia, USA. I have a terrible internet connection. She has a marginally better internet connection. (I can stream 720p Youtube without issue, She can stream 1080p) We both have average spec computers, hers is a bit beefier than mine RAM-wise. 

Anyhow, Background out of the way, with her hosting, I have only minimal lag in-game, she has practically no lag. The times lag is most apparent is when picking up items, or attacking moving targets. I have to admit that as things are, I can't hardly take 2 small spiders in combat. However, the majority of the game runs smoothly. Even walking around is pretty darn smooth.

Now, maybe your connection is worse than mine, or perhaps the host's is worse than my gf's, but considering how much content still needs to be added, and how little of it revolves around combat as a core mechanic, I can see why latency wouldn't be at the fore-front of their efforts.

In my oppinion its up to the Devs what issues they target first. I have seen live streams where at least 4 people play together and no one was complaining of lag.

I myself will love DST but I dont want to spoil it for myself by playing and testing the (naturally) unfinished beta-game. For this reason I did not sign up for beta.

... and how little of it revolves around combat as a core mechanic, I can see why latency wouldn't be at the fore-front of their efforts.

Just wanted to comment that combat is a core mechanic of Don't Starve as a whole, considering the front page of the main website is titled: "Don't Starve | Survive! Collect! Attack!"... But I trust that the devs know what they're doing and are working on this lag thing.

Just wanted to comment that combat is a core mechanic of Don't Starve as a whole, considering the front page of the main website is titled: "Don't Starve | Survive! Collect! Attack!"... But I trust that the devs know what they're doing and are working on this lag thing.

Combat is an aspect that exists at all times, true, but the mechanics for it are applied to almost all the vanilla DS mobs and PVP, basically, all the fighting and different enemies and weapons, save a few unique ones, are one thing code-wise. This is quite small compared to hammering out the specifics of say: "How will Woodie's transformation be handled?". But I get your point, and would not be upset if Lag was made a priority, if not just to cut down on the false flag bug reports.

I don't have my keys yet, but have you tried hooking it up on as LAN?

I'd be interested in these results as well.

Archived