How to organize?

Thats really gonna be up to you.

As for me, I keep a chest or two between my firepits for wood or burnables. Directly North of that I have my science machine and alchemy engine with enough space between them for 2 chests wide. Then I'll stack a total of 6 (2 x 3) and put all the things I use the most in them. I keep 1 that holds 3 stacks of grass, 3 of twigs and 3 stacks of flint. One I'll keep spider stuff in. Gems and feathers in another. Gold, rocks and nitre in another. Weapons in one, clothes in another.... Whatever makes sense to you.

Once I get far enough in the game and resources stack up I tend to make areas for certain things, cave area, fighting area, clothing area. Again, whatever makes sense for you.

If you look in that "show off your base" thread on the last page or two, you'll see what I mean. Also that thread is very useful for designing bases and seeing how people prioritize their bases. Hope this helps.

If you look in that "show off your base" thread on the last page or two, you'll see what I mean. Also that thread is very useful for designing bases and seeing how people prioritize their bases. Hope this helps.

i cant seem to find it, i was interested on finding out other players base.. 

Thats really gonna be up to you.

As for me, I keep a chest or two between my firepits for wood or burnables. Directly North of that I have my science machine and alchemy engine with enough space between them for 2 chests wide. Then I'll stack a total of 6 (2 x 3) and put all the things I use the most in them. I keep 1 that holds 3 stacks of grass, 3 of twigs and 3 stacks of flint. One I'll keep spider stuff in. Gems and feathers in another. Gold, rocks and nitre in another. Weapons in one, clothes in another.... Whatever makes sense to you.

Once I get far enough in the game and resources stack up I tend to make areas for certain things, cave area, fighting area, clothing area. Again, whatever makes sense for you.

It'd be more useful if they actually showed the contents of those chests :p

Each chest needs to contain a similar set of items to serve a common purpose.  If you need help remembering, i'd place an item of similar content next to said chest.    

I dunno, it seems like every time I try to do this, I end up with items that don't belong/items that belong in too many places/items that fill up too many chests

Once you get past day 400, this almost becomes mandatory 

I'm on day 200 and considering an "item graveyard" of sorts where I just toss things into a field of chests that I never look at again.

I'd seperate your stuff into groups; food, natural resources (like wood), tools, wearables, enemy drops, etc. It's really up to you what goes in each group, just go with what you first associate an item with. After you get your items all set up like this, further group them inside each group. Such as, in the food category you could group meats, or in the natural resources category you could group boards and other refined resources. It's kind of hard to explain, but always list those things together in your chest. So you would list your board stacks, your cut stone, then your wood, then your stone, or however you want to do it.

Seeing how you most likely have enough stuff in each category to fill multiple chests, what I would do is line up chests that are one category right next to each other, and continue organising like it's all one big chest, just going down the row. Alternitively, while still following your organising scheme, have specific chests be for specific things in each category. For example, if you have a heck of a lot of stone stacks, once you get to the point where you start listing stone, make all the stone in one chest. I'm sure this is confusing, but hopefully you're catching my drift.

To separate the rows, just have a couple spaces between them, I would go for lining them vertically. As for remembering where everything is, I honestly wouldn't worry about that. With everything I've ever organised, even if the placing seems pretty random, eventually once you use it a couple times you just accidentally memorize it all. Obviously you're not going to get the level of speed you'd have if you had less stuff, it's just not gonna happen, but I bet if you just continue to keep things in their place you'll get pretty quick at where everything is.

The best way to get yourself organized is to constantly go thru your stuff. When you come back from gathering or a hunt, take time to go thru your chests and remember where stuff is going.

When I first started playing I spent alot of time going thru chests restacking items so I didn't have multiple stacks of crap. Eventually, I figured out what worked best for me. So when I get into a game and far enough to start making a bunch of chests, I have an idea of what needs to go with what. Even now I'm still tweaking with chests.

This mod may helps you out in sorting your inventory: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245827115

Try to organized your chest every once a while, the best time is probably at night when you are just standing by the campfire.

Sorting my inventory isn't really what I need, it's all the crap on the ground.

If only a modder would consider making a mod for that kind of stuff.

*wink wink*

Soon... after some minorly major bugfixing.

I'd honestly rather have a mod for an item that looks like a 3x3 or 4x4 field of chests and takes the same materials, but stores 27 or 36 items (so a placeable that looks like 16 chests all lined up, and you just open all of them at once with a massive storage area, and it takes up the same number of materials as making 9 or 16 chests)

The best way to get yourself organized is to constantly go thru your stuff. When you come back from gathering or a hunt, take time to go thru your chests and remember where stuff is going.

When I first started playing I spent alot of time going thru chests restacking items so I didn't have multiple stacks of crap. Eventually, I figured out what worked best for me. So when I get into a game and far enough to start making a bunch of chests, I have an idea of what needs to go with what. Even now I'm still tweaking with chests.

Honestly, this seems like a good solution, and so does the one below, but I may just make a field of chests and start dumping items into it, as an "item graveyard" like I said earlier.

I'd seperate your stuff into groups; food, natural resources (like wood), tools, wearables, enemy drops, etc. It's really up to you what goes in each group, just go with what you first associate an item with. After you get your items all set up like this, further group them inside each group. Such as, in the food category you could group meats, or in the natural resources category you could group boards and other refined resources. It's kind of hard to explain, but always list those things together in your chest. So you would list your board stacks, your cut stone, then your wood, then your stone, or however you want to do it.

Seeing how you most likely have enough stuff in each category to fill multiple chests, what I would do is line up chests that are one category right next to each other, and continue organising like it's all one big chest, just going down the row. Alternitively, while still following your organising scheme, have specific chests be for specific things in each category. For example, if you have a heck of a lot of stone stacks, once you get to the point where you start listing stone, make all the stone in one chest. I'm sure this is confusing, but hopefully you're catching my drift.

To separate the rows, just have a couple spaces between them, I would go for lining them vertically. As for remembering where everything is, I honestly wouldn't worry about that. With everything I've ever organised, even if the placing seems pretty random, eventually once you use it a couple times you just accidentally memorize it all. Obviously you're not going to get the level of speed you'd have if you had less stuff, it's just not gonna happen, but I bet if you just continue to keep things in their place you'll get pretty quick at where everything is.

I'd honestly rather have a mod for an item that looks like a 3x3 or 4x4 field of chests and takes the same materials, but stores 27 or 36 items (so a placeable that looks like 16 chests all lined up, and you just open all of them at once with a massive storage area, and it takes up the same number of materials as making 9 or 16 chests)

I forgot to mention, there is a storm cellar mod already. While the storm cellar is expensive, it can hold a proportional amount of items (I think thirty slots or so).

Archived