Insanity Creatures Are Too Mean

With the current damage reduction, insanity creatures are fighting like when they were originally implemented. They cause really long battles and they will often disappear before you can finish killing them, while replacing each other. They endanger all players because four creatures chasing one player around the campfire drops everyone's sanity.

Can insanity monsters get a health nerf or can we have a new way to level the playing field?

Also, they will roar and lose aggro. This causes them to become invincible until they try to attack me again. The easy time to hit them is no longer there, making everything more difficult.

My problem with them was that if one character was insane enough to fight them, they had to fight everybody's insanity monsters. So instead of fighting my one monster, I had to hold off three or four. On the bright side, my friends with some guesswork could attack them too, though I don't know if that's intended or not.

My problem with them was that if one character was insane enough to fight them, they had to fight everybody's insanity monsters. So instead of fighting my one monster, I had to hold off three or four. On the bright side, my friends with some guesswork could attack them too, though I don't know if that's intended or not.

It didn't take any guesswork for me, I can see other peoples sanity monsters just fine (I've attacked other people's sanity monsters a few times now on different servers). And once I force attack one he'll stay aggroed on me until someone else hits him.

Maybe I could only see them easy because I was low on sanity myself? I forget what my stats were at the time, but I didn't have any of my own sanity monsters after me.

You can hit shadows regardles of your sanity. Just one person must be totaly insane and you can hit them even if you can't see them.

Seriously Luxurious once accidentaly hit Terrorbeak that was chasing me and killed him. And btw fighting 3 Crawling horrors and Terrorbeak was not fun at all... especially with their switching with aggro.

With client lag, I haven't been able to successfully kill a shadow creature.

They hit very hard, have short intervals between attacks, and disappear before I can get the 20 or so spear hits needed to kill them.

Given their insanity aura, it's a pain in the ass when you get low (for me, mostly from digging up graves)

The state they are in, in singleplayer DS, is nothing more than an easy nightmare fuel farm. If you can actually kite you can take them down easy peasy. Heck, it was more difficult to keep my sanity low enough all the time to continue fighting them, due to their sanity bonus upon kill (and did not have green mushrooms), especially from Terrorbeaks. I was able to kill about 25 of them in one farming session, the amount of them attacking at once and which ones didn't even matter. Just a few spears was all I needed, and never even got hit.

I haven't been insane yet in DST, but from what I'm hearing it sounds they are balanced right. You do NOT want to become insane, or They will get you. No longer shadow creatures are easy to farm, I like. :)

Though maybe they can last a bit longer, so those brave enough to fight can actually kill Them.

I haven't been insane yet in DST, but from what I'm hearing it sounds they are balanced right. You do NOT want to become insane, or They will get you. No longer shadow creatures are easy to farm, I like. :-)

Though maybe they can last a bit longer, so those brave enough to fight can actually kill Them.

You should consider going insane a few times before suggesting that they are balanced. They are terribly balanced because you are lucky to kill even one creature, but they will keep spawning until you are forced to pick flowers or something. 

The Shadow Creatures are different from Them. Shadow Creatures are dimension traveling beasts, Them is the makers of the Don't Starve world and control the Shadow Hands. I think it is implied that Them are a reference to Klei.

You should consider going insane a few times before suggesting that they are balanced. They are terribly balanced because you are lucky to kill even one creature, but they will keep spawning until you are forced to pick flowers or something. 

The Shadow Creatures are different from Them. Shadow Creatures are dimension traveling beasts, Them is the makers of the Don't Starve world and control the Shadow Hands. I think it is implied that Them are a reference to Klei.

I've become insane a couple of times to test the shadow creatures out (yay for doing that myself before you suggested me to), and I think they are balanced still when it comes to life and damage they deal (this was what I was referring to, not that they disappear too soon). HOWEVER, their tendency to suddenly disappear and their invincibility when they "roar" are really annoying. I hope this gets adressed by Klei.

PS: I was just making a reference to Them :p I'm already happy people stopped calling them hallucinations by now....

If you can actually kite you can take them down easy peasy.

Yea but 98% of the monsters are like this. Dragonfly and bishops are some of the only mobs I think you can't kite. Changing the kiting "rules" I think is a separate discussion

I disagree.

They shouldn't be nerfed, as you should be afraid of going insane.

That was already balanced in single player though. The way it is now you can barely take one out by yourself, and if other people help (the whole reason you do less damage) they take a big sanity hit for helping which isn't replenished by killing them. The balance seems to be off right now.

That was already balanced in single player though. The way it is now you can barely take one out by yourself, and if other people help (the whole reason you do less damage) they take a big sanity hit for helping which isn't replenished by killing them. The balance seems to be off right now.

Then don't go insane.

That's the point.

Then don't go insane.

That's the point.

It is supposed to be dangerous like causing a hound attack on yourself, not dangerous because they have bugs and were un-nerfed. 

I don't know about you guys, but going insane was never something I took lightly in SP. Yeah, I can handle a group of crawling nightmares pretty easy. However, Terrorbeaks are a force to be reckon with. One Terrorbeak takes my focus off the Crawling Nightmares. Two Terrorbeaks is a emergency battle mode. Three Terrorbeaks is harder than any of the giants, except for Dragonfly. Four Terrorbeaks is your cue to abandon everything and run.

Yet, it is still worth it to get some quick nightmare fuel (so long as you don't fight more than two Terrorbeaks at once). The point of insanity is to cause problems, they want to drive you insane sometimes or give you reasons to be. 

( The sound the Terrorbeak makes when its dimension traveling shriek echos through out the universe is your cue to run. This is my ultimate rival in the game. )

Yea but 98% of the monsters are like this. Dragonfly and bishops are some of the only mobs I think you can't kite. Changing the kiting "rules" I think is a separate discussion

Not talking about the kiting "rules" and changing them, I'm talking about this: IF you know how to kite them, shadow creatures are not difficult to kill at all (in singleplayer). However in the state they are in DST they do have a bit of unfairness on their side with their invincibility frames and randomly disappearing, as mentioned before.

I do however want them to be tough since you shouldn't want to become insane in the first place. Shadow creatures that don't disappear too quickly so the long fight can be ended by actually killing them, cannot abuse invincibility "roars" but still can come at you 1-4 at a time, deal quite a bit of damage and take a substantial amount of hits, are the ones I want to see in DST ;)

Not talking about the kiting "rules" and changing them, I'm talking about this: IF you know how to kite them, shadow creatures are not difficult to kill at all (in singleplayer). However in the state they are in DST they do have a bit of unfairness on their side with their invincibility frames and randomly disappearing, as mentioned before.

I do however want them to be tough since you shouldn't want to become insane in the first place. Shadow creatures that don't disappear too quickly so the long fight can be ended by actually killing them, cannot abuse invincibility "roars" but still can come at you 1-4 at a time, deal quite a bit of damage and take a substantial amount of hits, are the ones I want to see in DST ;)

Pretty much this.

I'm ok with the toughness, and the crazy number of hits to take down shadow creatures.

But right now they despawn before you can kill them, and their buggy invincibility doesn't follow the same combat rules they used in SP.

Right now, I find that if you're insane you're better off just running away picking flowers until they leave you alone, which

1) requires no skill

2) makes the shadow monsters annoying instead of a high risk, high reward farmable mob.

Archived