Ancient Items

So I finally got around to going to the caves, and then the ruins, and I've gotta say, it was a whole lot easier than I thought it would be. My basic strategy was take a ton of honey down, and build a crockpot and ice box down there. That seems to be a base that will last until the end of times (or at least around 90 days). and then just bush hat my way around every nightmare phase. Lightning rods and rooks for the incomplete pseudoscience stations, rooks for the other clockwork pieces, shadow swords for the rooks (though trying to get two rooks to run into eachother has to have been the most fun I've had in this game. period). Gunpowder and a shadow sword with a side of kiting for the guardian. The whole place seemed like a bit of a pushover.

In the end I found a complete pseudoscience station, and started crafting away, getting one of each item to take back to the surface and test out.

But then the real disappointment came.

The reward at the end.

I mean looking at them as a list

• Thulecite Wall
    • Appears to be a new and improved nonrenewable wall for the Deerclops to tear down with no effort the winter after they're put up.
    • If you avoid having a Deerclops tear it down, it's no more useful than (renewable!) stone walls for keeping everything else out.
  • Thulecite Medallion
    • Shows the state of the nightmare cycle
    • Uses a nonrenewable resource
    • Entirely useless outside of the ruins
      • Useless inside too, if you're observant
  • The Lazy Forager
    • can be used to pick up falling rocks inside the caves, but is that really worth two nonrenewable resources? (orange gems have a chance to spawn from tumbleweeds at a 0.02% chance, meaning one in five thousand (1/5000) tumbleweeds contain an orange gem ROG only)
  • Magiluminescence
    • Can be used to break the land speed record when combined with an overcharged WX-78 using a walking cane on a road, which is pretty cool.
    • uses two nonrenewable resources (yellow gems have a chance to spawn from tumbleweeds at a 0.01% chance, meaning one in ten thousand (1/10000) tumbleweeds contain an yellow gem ROG only)
  • Construction Amulet
    • Allows you to craft anything at half price
    • Arguably one of the only useful items that you can make at a pseudoscience station, though it only has five uses, so I have trouble justifying the uses on anything.
    • Uses two nonrenewable resources in vanilla, same story as the orange gem for droprate on green gems in ROG
  • The Lazy Explorer
    • A walking stick that lets me teleport half the distance of my screen, and can't be used to beat an infinite number of spiders to death
    • The telepoof is useful as a panic button (but can only be used 20 times), but I'm not sure I want to trade the infinite durability for that, even if it didn't use nonrenewable (or 1/5000 droprate, in the case of ROG) resources.
  • Star Caller's Staff
    • Casts a star at the cost of 20 sanity. The star lasts 2 minutes and restores 25 sanity per minute, resulting in a net gain of 30 sanity if you stay next to it the entire time its up
    • Would be useful as a panic button for those who suddenly realize they're not carrying grass, however you can't cast it in the dark. Uses nonrenewable (or 1/10000 droprate, in the case of ROG) resources
  • Deconstruction Staff
    • Allows you to return things with a full money back guarantee (aside from gems)
    • Arguably the other useful item the pseudoscience station can create, though it runs in to the same problem as the construction amulet, where you only have five uses.
    • Best use seems to be on pan-flutes
  • Pick/Axe
    • Where to even start on this one. Uses two tools, which have more durability than it does, and costs a completely nonrenewable resource.
  • Thulecite Crown
    • 90% damage resistance with a chance for 95% damage resistance (with the other 5% going into your sanity instead of your health)
    • I've crafted three of these with the spare Thulecite I got from my ruins run. With a high sanity character, it seems like it could actually be useful. Though, the nonrenewability is really a buzzkill
  • Thulecite Club
    • Slightly less damage than a shadow sword, with shadow tenticles that spawn to attack whatever you're fighting. What's not to like?
    • I crafted one of these with spare Thulecite, as an afterthought, it seems to outdps the shadow sword, but once again, nonrenewability is really a buzzkill for me because I'll have to switch back eventually
    • I do like it though
  • Thulecite Suit
    • Infinite sanity gain, what's not to like about that?
    • As far as actual armor goes, however, keeping two sets of shadow armor (or just a bunch of nightmare fuel and paper, and crafting it right before you get into a long fight) on you is a better strategy.
  • Houndius Shootius
    • Okay so let me get this straight.
    • It takes the materials of the two baddest bosses in vanilla game
    • It two shots a bee.
    • a bee.

in the end, it seems like the best strategy here is to forego every other item, and just use the construction amulet to build as many Thulecite Crowns and Clubs as you can, probably at a 1:3 crown:club ratio so that you can have as many of those two as you can get. and then use the rest of your green gems to make destruction staffs, if you have a pan flute. Because everything else is simply so disappointing.

Am I missing something here, or is this basically how it is?

/wall

@the truthseeker I totally posted this in the wrong place, can someone move it to don't starve general discussion please? Sorry about that. So embarrassing.

Sadly, thats all there is to it. I made one of everything just to say I made it. I use the medallion the most I'd say. The armor, club and pick/ax I have 3 of but just never use them. I really hope they add to to what you can make with the ancient pseudoscience machine after DST is done. Maybe more stuff with the walrus tusks and stingers.

Sure, the Pick/Axe should get a buff: it's really useful as it chops trees/ mine rocks 33% times faster, but it has less durability then you would have if you used the two tools separately.

All my hopes for Ruins-stuff buffs are dead and gone by now, though.

They'll never touch that stuff ever again, I bet on it (they still haven't fixed the tooth-trap bug!)

The fact that these materials are non-renewable makes them useless to me. I honestly have no idea what to do with these items, if they run out so quickly and can't be replaced.

seriously, I wish they had a hard and/or expensive way to renew items that are nonrenewable. I guess that'll stay an ungranted wish though.

No need to ask just me. feel free to report a post asking it to be moved in the future. And agree what has been said here except adding the Star caller's staff also is a heat/igniting source as well. 

Reporting... my own post... it feels so strange as a concept

Sure, the Pick/Axe should get a buff: it's really useful as it chops trees/ mine rocks 33% times faster, but it has less durability then you would have if you used the two tools separately.

All my hopes for Ruins-stuff buffs are dead and gone by now, though.

They'll never touch that stuff ever again, I bet on it (they still haven't fixed the tooth-trap bug!)

Yeah, I bet they won't, but I just felt like posting my opinion, just in case I was missing something important.

The fact that these materials are non-renewable makes them useless to me. I honestly have no idea what to do with these items, if they run out so quickly and can't be replaced.

seriously, I wish they had a hard and/or expensive way to renew items that are nonrenewable. I guess that'll stay an ungranted wish though.

Same. Er, rather, I just wish the items were like, leagues better. Honestly, at that point in the game, does it matter if things get a little bit broken? The only completed pseudoscience station I could find was after the boss (I know I could complete one on my own, but come on, as if I were going to waste nonrenewable resources)

I use all except that useless medallion and those walls....

star caller staff is my favorite, I can melee Deerclops during a winter night without fire! Range and heat are way better!

Wait, you can use the starcaller's staff to kill the Deerclops? New goal.

And, I mean, they're all usable. Some of them are even useful.

But the problem here is they all either run out too quickly, or they're nowhere near useful enough to even consider using these resources on.

Nope.. you have light and heat in a winter night. you very easy wear an armor on you without freezing.

But... you can do that with a normal fire...

The deerclops walks soooo slowly I always make a fire before the kiting begins. (or the tanking in one special case)

But... you can do that with a normal fire...

The deerclops walks soooo slowly I always make a fire before the kiting begins. (or the tanking in one special case)

Yeah you can do that, but I don't really like to waste wood. Well is not a must this thing don't get me wrong. I just want to say that item have after all a use in real world.

Night Light for example. I love to put that item close to Ancient, I have vision in ruins like outside and in ruins fuel is plenty just to collect. But in this situation you can use fire too and Night Light become useless, because outside is really an awful item.

I crafted the Shootius once and the Bearger ate it. Here I thought between an ocean of tooth traps and the Shootius along with myself we could take care of it, but nooo...

Yeah, it's even worse than the rest of the items as far as effort required/reward goes.

Archived