How to survive a LONG SUMMER. with only a shade and a fire

here are some tips that will help you to survive summer and avoid overheating.. if you forgot to stack up ice and other cooling things..

PREPARATIONS

1. stack a lot of running-annoying radishes (20 is good, but 30-40 is safe)

2. make a good shelter that can help you stay cool

3. make sure to have at least 20 green mushrooms

4. have a good number of lumber (10-20 is enough)

5. dont put all your lumber and other flammable items in your chest (it will get burned)

6. put it to chester instead.. (if you found him already)

7. build your shelter near your stone fire pit

8. build a giant thermometer

DURING SUMMER

1. stay on your shelter(if necessary)

2. try to observe the heat level, your health, sanity and hunger

3. if your losing both health and hunger try cooking 1 running-annoying radishes -  it will turn the time to night or dawn.

4. by the time you wake up after cooking it, try eating it. -  that will make you faint and 1 day will be lost with your health and hunger to full and your sanity unchanged.

5. if your sanity drops to 50 try cooking green mushrooms and eat it -  2-3 is enough

5. repeat cooking and eating 1 running-annoying radishes till summer ends..

**and walla! your alive and well and summer is over.. ^^

hope this help.. if your having second thoughts about this, don't worry this happened to me and it help me survived a 20 day summer without food, i just stayed on my shelter - because its too damn HOT to even leave the shelter!!!! 

**EDITED: THIS USUALLY HAPPENS WITH A HUGE MAP SIZE, AND A VERY LONG SUMMER, AND IF YOUR NOT PLANNING TO HAVE A BASE AT DAY 10-15, WHICH BASICALLY MEANS THAT YOUR ROAMING ALL THE TIME.. (default settings sometimes have long summer,huge map and sometimes the game starts at the end of summer, so basically you'll get overheated on some days..) 

**and about the mandrakes many said that its a rare thing to find, but if you roam the map it will spawn continuously -  which i did, but some world has it differently..

**but if your up for some challenge you can try this settings - HUGE MAP, LONG SUMMER, AND LONG DAY.. ^^ HAVE FUN!

post-463116-0-63616900-1412520403_thumb.

I usually have an eyebrella by then, super useful in spring and summer, and 1 or 2 ice fling-o-matics are usually enough to cover my base.

And also, I don't know what you did to your world settings or mods, but usually there's usually only 2 to 5 mandrakes per world.

I usually have an eyebrella by then, super useful in spring and summer, and 1 or 2 ice fling-o-matics are usually enough to cover my base.

And also, I don't know what you did to your world settings or mods, but usually there's usually only 2 to 5 mandrakes per world.

i usually roam the map everyday. and the map size is HUGE..  and sometimes summer appears early like day 10 or 15 and even 7... so having a fridge will be hard or ice fling o matics.. gears are hard to come by for me i dont know...

but those annoying mandrakes are always there ahahah.. i didnt do any special on the world settings or mods.. i just always come across them

I dont want to offend you but your tips are mostly useless for a default map.

Mandrakes can only spawn in small numbers and are very hard to find + non renewable. So stacking them up to 40 is impossible.

Stocking up green mushrooms is also useless because they rot too fast especially during summer. It is better to scout their position and mark them with signs etc.

If you really want to skip summer you better stock up huge amounts of long durable food (stacks of honey, jerkys...) and build a Siesta-Lean-to and a tent. Just sleep through the summer and only stay awake for eating since your hunger will drop insanely.

40 mandrakes, the item that spawns about 3 times in most worlds. Seems legit.

Just use a chilled amulet or ice or ice cube or thermal stone, it should't be hard to get a fridge before day 20...

actually summer is doesnt always begin at day 20, that photo i had was almost the last days of summer... summer started at day 14 if i remember... and gears are hard to find for me, dont know for you guys..

and chilled amulet is a rare find.. thermal stone?? isnt that for winter so you wont freeze while roaming?

and besides i usually make my base at day 10-15 i roam almost everyday trying to find chester and a good place to set up a base... ^^

What mode are you using ? I want to change my User Interface. 

A better way to survive summer is creating Leafy Meat farms, building a Pig House and a Bee Box. If your base is near Tallbirds and you have placed spiders near your base, you will not have hunger problems.

im using RPG HUD... thats it the barebone one..

the other version doesnt fit to me, it has 40+ slots for your inventory, for me that is cheating ^^

i dont actually hunt spiders until its 3 storey high... sometimes i even w8 for the queen before attacking it

this guide is for those that didnt had anything to cool them down... if you know what i mean..

if you always come across with those annoying radishes stack them up you'll never know when will summer hit you.. my current game hit summer at day 7.. i mean that was so cruel.. -_- good thing i had 10 mandrakes but no food for sanity i was literally hanging by a thread.. good thing there was an adult tree when the temp started to pump up.. and my base was like so far away i had no choice but to hug the tree and just make my character faint till its done. ahaha if you have any more good ideas about surviving an unexpected long-summer post it here..

like out of nowhere summer came and u were unprepared with little resources..something like that, share what you did to survive.. thanks!

I dont want to offend you but your tips are mostly useless for a default map.

Mandrakes can only spawn in small numbers and are very hard to find + non renewable. So stacking them up to 40 is impossible.

Stocking up green mushrooms is also useless because they rot too fast especially during summer. It is better to scout their position and mark them with signs etc.

If you really want to skip summer you better stock up huge amounts of long durable food (stacks of honey, jerkys...) and build a Siesta-Lean-to and a tent. Just sleep through the summer and only stay awake for eating since your hunger will drop insanely.

i dont know about you but i roam the map... and by roaming i mean the whole map. and whenever i see a mandrake i take it.. in the photo i had 27 i think, and green mushrooms dont rot fast it takes about 6-7 days, i try to cook them if near rotting stage so it will have more days before rotting..

and about your world settings maybe its on easy mode.. and i dont camp on day 1 i camp at day 10-20 at least, and how can u stack long and durable food? food rot much faster unless u have a fridge, or a crock pot..

i dont know about you but i roam the map... and by roaming i mean the whole map. and whenever i see a mandrake i take it.. in the photo i had 27 i think, and green mushrooms dont rot fast it takes about 6-7 days, i try to cook them if near rotting stage so it will have more days before rotting..

and about your world settings maybe its on easy mode.. and i dont camp on day 1 i camp at day 10-20 at least, and how can u stack long and durable food? food rot much faster unless u have a fridge, or a crock pot..

You do have so many mandrakes because you changed the settings. So you are basically describing a very special method of survival which can only be used with a unique world setting.

However most of us prefer the default setting with only minor changes.

Producing jerkys is easy and they are long lasting even in your inventory. If you want the ultimate durable food get a honey production started. You can also store a never spoiling food source (no not the powder cake!). Build a pen and release captured rabbits in it. Kill them if needed.

I know these food sources kind of need a base but you can use them on mostly any world settings. Your technique sadly is only working on mandrakes to lots and isn't the best at all.

You are doing better in building endothermic firepits and cool yourself down with thermal stones. Wear umbrellas (or parasols) and straw hats to keep cool and stick to shadowy forests to survive a quick summer start.

But as Maxwell is saying: Your world your rules.

Maybe it would be better to don't write your technique into a general how-to-guide but represent it as a challenge.

And maybe when you write a guide call things by their in game name?  I had no idea what you meant by "running-annoying radish" until other posters clarified that you meant mandrake.  I've played several games, have all the experience based character unlocks, and have only encountered mandrake less than half a dozen times total.

And maybe when you write a guide call things by their in game name?  I had no idea what you meant by "running-annoying radish" until other posters clarified that you meant mandrake.  I've played several games, have all the experience based character unlocks, and have only encountered mandrake less than half a dozen times total.

really running-annoying radishes.. you don't recognize them? well nvm, wow i mean mandrakes are scarce on you... i played a default game and i had at least 15 or 17 mandrakes do you roam the map?? or you just camp? because u get mandrakes by roaming the whole map, they spawn at least 2-3x every time you manage to get one..

so basically when your roaming and you saw a mandrake and you took it.. mandrakes will respawn on another biom or location 2-3x... as for me o roamed the map for 15-20days so thats why i had many radishes.. try roaming the map, maybe youll get some, hopefully.. 

You do have so many mandrakes because you changed the settings. So you are basically describing a very special method of survival which can only be used with a unique world setting.

However most of us prefer the default setting with only minor changes.

Producing jerkys is easy and they are long lasting even in your inventory. If you want the ultimate durable food get a honey production started. You can also store a never spoiling food source (no not the powder cake!). Build a pen and release captured rabbits in it. Kill them if needed.

I know these food sources kind of need a base but you can use them on mostly any world settings. Your technique sadly is only working on mandrakes to lots and isn't the best at all.

You are doing better in building endothermic firepits and cool yourself down with thermal stones. Wear umbrellas (or parasols) and straw hats to keep cool and stick to shadowy forests to survive a quick summer start.

But as Maxwell is saying: Your world your rules.

Maybe it would be better to don't write your technique into a general how-to-guide but represent it as a challenge.

i get what you mean, and i like the challenge thing what you said.. but i dont know about the settings, i only change the map size to large or huge and basically i roam the map so maybe every time i pick one up, another mandrake spawn in a different location and luckily im heading that way or something like that..

but as the title suggest, surviving summer with only a fire and shade so basically if you dont have all the things you said that can help you survive the summer this will help.. 

and rabbits in this map are scarce i dont know why, i tried it before stacking live rabbits on my chest like 4 chests to help me survive winter and harvest gold to the pig king.. all of the rabbit holes are destroyed/collapsed so i cant farm them, the only way to get 1 is by digging them out, which is time consuming. 

** im curious about the rabbit pen... do they multiply? cause i just stack them on chests, ill try that on my current world...

**P.S. using default settings got me killed the 1st 10days,, summer came at day 5 or 7 which made me really unprepared for anything, so i tried to change that spring comes first.. 

i get what you mean, and i like the challenge thing what you said.. but i dont know about the settings, i only change the map size to large or huge and basically i roam the map so maybe every time i pick one up, another mandrake spawn in a different location and luckily im heading that way or something like that..

but as the title suggest, surviving summer with only a fire and shade so basically if you dont have all the things you said that can help you survive the summer this will help.. 

and rabbits in this map are scarce i dont know why, i tried it before stacking live rabbits on my chest like 4 chests to help me survive winter and harvest gold to the pig king.. all of the rabbit holes are destroyed/collapsed so i cant farm them, the only way to get 1 is by digging them out, which is time consuming. 

** im curious about the rabbit pen... do they multiply? cause i just stack them on chests, ill try that on my current world...

**P.S. using default settings got me killed the 1st 10days,, summer came at day 5 or 7 which made me really unprepared for anything, so i tried to change that spring comes first.. 

Oo

You definitely use a strange Don't Starve version. It would help us a lot if you could name us all the mods you are using.

Mandrakes are definitely rare and only spawn 2-5 a world and don't regrow + they happen to don't appear at all on some worlds.

Secondly, you can't stack rabbits in vanilla version... and they die in chests (rot to morsels) like ... yeah in real life. Seriously, don't put several poor rabbits in a small chest :frown-new:

Usually don't dig rabbit holes because you are destroying a non renewable spawn point for the rabbits. As I mentioned rabbits rot very quickly but can't dig new holes once they are released. So if you are trapping them in a pen they can live forever and can't escape you anymore.

If rabbit holes are collapsed you are usually in the spring season. I don't know why the entrance to the kingdom of bunnymen is blocked. Maybe this should enchance the difficulty level on a "relaxing" season.

I often write "usually" because you seem to have severly modded your Don't Starve version. Normal seasons on default let you stay in a relaxing season (autumn and the not so relaxing at all spring) for exact 20 days. Harsh seasons only last 16 days.

So you can roam around and built a base befor summer/winter hits you.

why is that mandrake such a big issue.. let just leave it be.. i dont know why it have so many in my world.. -_- and yes i just found out about the rabbit rotting even if their in my bag.. but on earlier version they dont actually rot even in chest i mean theres no green background on then telling about theyre life...

actually putting them on a pen is hard cause abigail keep on killing them, this ghost follow my every move, but he killed all those poor rabbits i stored in my pen.. and i have to close the pen so they wont come out, and if im going to put another rabbit i need to destroy the fence.. any good idea on how to make a pen that i can enter and close without destroying one fence.. 

How can you offer tips for surviving summer when you are not using default settings the typical user is using nor are you using the rules of captured animals and starvation per RoG?

While I appreciate the effort, I'm disappointed with the proofreading! 

And my up to 5 if not a lot less spawned before going into a cave  running-annoying radishes Mandrakes per world before me leaving via Telepotato all said MEEP MOOP MOOP MEEP, which obviously means "agreed!" 

why is that mandrake such a big issue.. let just leave it be

The issue is that you present your idea for surviving summer by collecting 20 to 40 of these things as the very first step of what one should do.  In a standard game, this is simply not possible, thus invalidating the rest of your guide.

I am a fairly new player to the game.  The longest I've survived in an one game is around 45 days.  I haven't really learned how to deal with most of the challenges Don't Starve presents.  In short, I am your target audience.  I am the person that wants to read your guide and learn from it, to become a better player.  But if I tried to follow your guide I would waste valuable time trying to find these stacks of mandrake you apparently have access to.  Since death is a pretty serious affair in this game, following bad advice could really cause unneeded aggravation.

tl;dr- if you write a "How to" to help inexperienced players, make sure that the "how" part will actually work for the largely unmodified worlds that most newbies will actually be playing.

The issue is that you present your idea for surviving summer by collecting 20 to 40 of these things as the very first step of what one should do.  In a standard game, this is simply not possible, thus invalidating the rest of your guide.

I am a fairly new player to the game.  The longest I've survived in an one game is around 45 days.  I haven't really learned how to deal with most of the challenges Don't Starve presents.  In short, I am your target audience.  I am the person that wants to read your guide and learn from it, to become a better player.  But if I tried to follow your guide I would waste valuable time trying to find these stacks of mandrake you apparently have access to.  Since death is a pretty serious affair in this game, following bad advice could really cause unneeded aggravation.

tl;dr- if you write a "How to" to help inexperienced players, make sure that the "how" part will actually work for the largely unmodified worlds that most newbies will actually be playing.

try roaming the map, you'll come across those mandrakes..

by roaming the map your dont just see all the resources and other special things that you need to collect later on, like gears and the pig king, you also can analyze and decide where to put your camp or base best - like close to stone piles, close to the pig king or even at the center of map for easy traveling back and forth..

**45 days? i suggest you build your base early if your a newbie, cause i do roam a lot almost 10-20days and just build a campfire where darkness catches me,

-roam for 1-5 days

-if you found a good source of rock and food, camp near it

-i suggest camping in a corner where theres only one way to go out and in your base

-mine gold ores, only the gold ores because it will give you both the flint and rocks that you basically need

-harvest alot of trees and make at least 4-5 chests

-if it constantly rain i suggest u make a lightning rod for protection

-remember where you saw green mushrooms - and try harvesting, cooking and eating them when your sanity go below 80 or when your screen starts to go dizzy.

-thats it.... then try finding gears... you can find gears when you kill a metal horse that has a base somewhere there, try avoiding the rhino... BUT you can lure him and evade his attack and let him run over trees, stones or even spiders(if near) so you can easily loot them.. ^^

- ow and while your roaming i suggest you try looking for this thing..

i roamed almost 30days just to find that furball!

HAVE FUN

post-463116-0-20203900-1412675451_thumb.

How can you offer tips for surviving summer when you are not using default settings the typical user is using nor are you using the rules of captured animals and starvation per RoG?

While I appreciate the effort, I'm disappointed with the proofreading! 

And my up to 5 if not a lot less spawned before going into a cave  running-annoying radishes Mandrakes per world before me leaving via Telepotato all said MEEP MOOP MOOP MEEP, which obviously means "agreed!" 

excuse me friend...

i know your disappointed on me, but can you help me by telling what does this thing do... 

-my 1st item on the picture... farthest to the left side of my inventory, the one that looks like a robot head...

post-463116-0-22093000-1412675705_thumb.

-i suggest camping in a corner where theres only one way to go out and in your base

I wouldn't suggest that. Basically you are building your own tomb. Since all hostile enemys either destroy your base or need to be outrunned. It's better to fight them outside your base, thus a very open base is suited better for Don't Starve. Having corners in your back isn't usefull at all.

Giants wreck your base in no time -----> you don't want to fight them in your base

Hounds need to be kited + fire hounds burn everything down ---> you don't want to fight them in your base

All other mobs won't attack your base at all.

Besides the safety feature, a central, open base provides you with shorter walking times between your work (whatever it is) and home.

I wouldn't suggest that. Basically you are building your own tomb. Since all hostile enemys either destroy your base or need to be outrunned. It's better to fight them outside your base, thus a very open base is suited better for Don't Starve. Having corners in your back isn't usefull at all.

Giants wreck your base in no time -----> you don't want to fight them in your base

Hounds need to be kited + fire hounds burn everything down ---> you don't want to fight them in your base

Besides the safety feature, a central, open base provides you with shorter walking times between your work (whatever it is) and home.

if your not planning on putting traps then an open area is good for running around, and basically before the hounds do i appear i always go to my battle arena(a place full of traps just near my base), and for bosses i try to lure them away my base then use a sleep dart or flute, then come another day or 2 to kill them, and having a base in a corner is helpful cause you can plant spider eggs at the front, plant plant-eating-long-neck-with-many-eyeballs (i dont know what its called), and put traps where you want to lure your enemies...

* and if hounds do appear while your away in your base, you can actually out-run it (if your not using a piggy backpack) and run straight to your base and take a detour towards your traps... building a maze with traps sure can kill any mobs no matter the number, unless they can destroy structure.. 

everybody has their different preference, im giving an advice that much more easier to accomplish cause having a base in the center is for experienced players..

P.S. you can also build a base in the middle of the map, just stick your base at the edge,,

excuse me friend...

i know your disappointed on me, but can you help me by telling what does this thing do... 

-my 1st item on the picture... farthest to the left side of my inventory, the one that looks like a robot head...

No matter how I am with going over replies, i am always here to help!

That is the Metal Potato thing. it is one of four Things plus the Wooden Thing/Chess biome you use to travel to a new world to reset those rare resources and your day count (the reset day count for things like hounds Krampus and Treeguard span number.) 

Respectfully, I am disappointed because you seem to lack some fundamental knowledge of the game's mechanics like knowing about Things. There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd hold off on offering tips to others until you do. 

For instance, my experience has taught me that while it's a bad idea to corner yourself, having your base with one side to a ocean border is acceptable assuming it's still within range of a variety of pickables/minerals and guardians like Beefalo/Pigs. Having a bunch of tooth traps in the future makes this moot, but in the early game for beginning players this is fine. 

Flingomatic, endothermic fire, floral shirt, deerclop hat and with a base close to frogs. But with floral shirt and deerclops hat you can explore caves with minor problems.

endothermic fire was actually cold fire.. just found out recently and i was sleeping with it last winter... -_-

Archived