So what happens to Woodie's return to human tranformation?

So I had heard from the video on Together's demo at Pax that the sleeping bag/tent mechanic has been worked out. So yes, I know that with those that you can sleep and know the goings on and wake up whenever.

My question though is, what about when Woodie werebeaver goes back to just Woodie???

Do you still skip a whole day if it happened during the morning or dusk?

Will you just be in a sleep state through the whole night until morning??

As someone who loves playing Woodie I'm just curious. :(

Think about the werepig transformation how pigs flash from normal to werepig, that'll happen with Woodie. It's not super complicated

That....

That doesn't answer a single of my questions for Together....

It's not that simple since, amazingly enough, I'm a player.

What question were you even trying to answer??? I'm legitimately puzzled.

:wilson_incredulous:

But they are asking about the segments lost post reversion. How is that handled in regards to "sleep" as well as "statistics lost?"

Exactly.

I can easily understand how the transformation works but in Together how does the "knock-out" period work?

That's something that has yet to be answered and is possibly still in revision.

I was hoping for some answer from a possible dev but either way I can wait. It just irks me as a Woodie player because I'm sitting here worrying what would happen in game with my friends.

That....

That doesn't answer a single of my questions for Together....

It's not that simple since, amazingly enough, I'm a player.

What question were you even trying to answer??? I'm legitimately puzzled.

:wilson_incredulous:

I answered your question of: "My question though is, what about when Woodie werebeaver goes back to just Woodie???"

I answered your question of: "My question though is, what about when Woodie werebeaver goes back to just Woodie???"

The question wasn't revolving around transformation...

Just about anyone who knows Woodie knows he transforms.

That was just part of an ongoing question and the question wasn't even about transformation.

If you had read the whole thing together it was asking about the whole sleeping period.

Woodie, when he reverts, is knocked out until the next morning. Whether that be an entire day of sleeping or just a night.

So if the whole thing was read it was only asking what happens when he reverts in Together.

Seeing as this is the Don't Starve Together section of the forums it is a relevant question to the game play mechanics.

If you're answering this way to be humorous, you will find my sense of humor can be on and off at times so yeah.

Everybody take a step back, we're all focusing on different parts of the elephant here, and think that's what's being discussed. 

What osmRhodey only wants to know about is after Woodie transforms back into human form, how is that multiple segmented gap where he "wakes up" (and loses hunger and sanity) handled?

Werepigs instantly revert but have no health/sanity or time issues to worry about, even if asleep. it's a bad analogy if not identical. 

Obviously, it's not as simple as "sleeping" (as the player needs to be penalized health and hunger for the reversion instantly instead of over time, and if they simply sleep with no benefit afterwards and can be interrupted is another question.)

So this is something Klei will need to figire out as they implement the core vanilia DS characters. 

(And don't think I didn't hear you "silently talking" over there the entire time Wes. if you keep blabbering I'll ask Woodie to gnaw YOU next time :p

That's what I've been getting at this whole time. The entirety of the post, as a whole, conglomerates to the question of sleep.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen videos of Seth while at PAX as he had explained the sleeping mechanics in tents and sleeping bags and the penalties remain.

While sleeping a character is able to note things going around them to a degree so you're able to know the goings on.(seeing as it's multiplayer you never want a stranger walking up to you and slaughtering you) Monsters and the darkness are supposedly turned off from hurting you so you have no worry while sleeping. Health and Sanity will increase, and you will be able to notice that. On the other end you will also notice as your hunger depletes faster than while awake. You are able to choose when you awaken and that's where my question begins.

Woodie has that period of unconsciousness so that question remains until they have figured it out. Is he just going to be in a sleep state or do you have a period of waiting before he awakens on his own?

As for the pigs, it is indeed a bad analogy mostly because, they're not playable characters. And that's the big thing. Even if they were to have a stunt in their health, stamina, and sanity, you would never know. They are NPC's and thus are not really that much of a problem or something to really think on.

Woodie transforms, you're a beaver for however long. And then you revert and....what?

That's the question and the "problem" I bring up.

I do agree the Klei will need to figure this out, and as we speak they probably are anyways.

There's already the TellTale Heart and Touchstones are not activated preemptively for death. So that is all accomplished. What happens with some of our little freaky babies is unknown at the time.

That was all. Thank you for trying to explain though, both of you, even if one was confused or trying to joke which I am unsure of. It is appreciated.

Everybody take a step back, we're all focusing on different parts of the elephant here, and think that's what's being discussed. 

What osmRhodey only wants to know about is after Woodie transforms back into human form, how is that multiple segmented gap where he "wakes up" (and loses hunger and sanity) handled?

Werepigs instantly revert but have no health/sanity or time issues to worry about, even if asleep. it's a bad analogy if not identical. 

Obviously, it's not as simple as "sleeping" (as the player needs to be penalized health and hunger for the reversion instantly instead of over time, and if they simply sleep with no benefit afterwards and can be interrupted is another question.)

So this is something Klei will need to figire out as they implement the core vanilia DS characters. 

(And don't think I didn't hear you "silently talking" over there the entire time Wes. if you keep blabbering I'll ask Woodie to gnaw YOU next time :razz:

Oh ok, I didn't know what he was talking about. I thought he meant how will the transformation take place, not how the hunger and sanity mechanic are handled. Hunger and Sanity won't change from Don't Starve Singleplayer to Don't Starve Multiplayer. It's like eating any of the bad foods (stale, spoiled foods and rot, you get the idea) if you ate it, it only affects you, not anyone else. As for the segments (animation) of Woodie waking up, it'd be like normal as well, the animations aren't removed from Don't Starve Together, infact the animation plays out like normal. And yes, instant effects will still be in the game, Klei needed a work-a-round for the mechanic of Sleeping and it's effects. This meant Health, Hunger and Sanity all had to be effected over a period of time.

Sorry if I still don't understand osmRhodey and the truthseeker but that's my best way of explaining it.

I...Just re-explained.

Sleeping mechanics have been talked about. The mechanic of him going unconscious after reverting and what occurs then is the questionable bit.

I understand all the other mechanics and I know they're all going to be the same.

To further the information of where it is currently at I shall provide with you, a video.

In the video he explains the sleep mechanics and the resurrection method and you can see from the game that hunger, sanity, and health are all the same.

I think they're wanting to know, will the Woodie player be forced to watch an entire day go by, or will they immediately be able to wake up like the current sleeping mechanic suggests?

@SethR any light you can shed on this? 

Thank you for the different wording.

And the tag. I forgot I could do that.

How I'd do it, at least initially:

During the day, he'd just get up immediately. Upon leaving the form durking dusk or at night, he'll fall unconscious. He'll stay this way until the next morning, or can deliberately wake up sooner. Either way, he takes the normal penalties as soon as he wakes. While unconscious, he is invincible and doesn't aggro enemies.

The idea is that the passing of time is a tradeoff; it could get you through winter/summer quicker, but it could get you TO winter/summer quicker. Therefore I think you could toss it without hurting game balance.

PS: Lucy would become an invincible enemy and defend a tiny area around where she was dropped. You can outrun her, but stopping to pick something up is likely to get you a good hurting, and picking up more than one or two things will probably just get you killed. So his stuff would be protected, but not totally safe.

How I'd do it, at least initially:

During the day, he'd just get up immediately. Upon leaving the form durking dusk or at night, he'll fall unconscious. He'll stay this way until the next morning, or can deliberately wake up sooner. Either way, he takes the normal penalties as soon as he wakes. While unconscious, he is invincible and doesn't aggro enemies.

The idea is that the passing of time is a tradeoff; it could get you through winter/summer quicker, but it could get you TO winter/summer quicker. Therefore I think you could toss it without hurting game balance.

PS: Lucy would become an invincible enemy and defend a tiny area around where she was dropped. You can outrun her, but stopping to pick something up is likely to get you a good hurting, and picking up more than one or two things will probably just get you killed. So his stuff would be protected, but not totally safe.

This is largely the direction I would go, except without the lucy defending him bit.

Leave him unconscious, at night, and defenseless, since he drops all his items (including lucy)

Really, I think they should rework woodie to be able to voluntarily transform back before the log meter runs out (less penalties than if he's forced to transform back) and slow the log meter down.

This would add a more interesting dynamic, particularly in multiplayer, where woodie can fight and free resources effectively in beaver form, but can't build or collect, and can survive on an alternative (but still valuable) food source (wood) that other players would then need to replant to make sustainable.

So for team games, you could have a playstyle where woodie stays in beaver form indefinitely and another player (his "handler") collects stone/gold, replants trees, etc, so woodie can maximize the use of beaver form.  However, woodie wouldn't be able to contribute to cooking, crafting, or bring his buddy back to life because he can't carry any items unless in human form.

Currently, going beaver form in multiplayer is a bit of a mixed bag, since against major bosses multiple people with gunpowder are going to be better off than going melee as beaver form, which means woodie's only difference in playstyle is really having an unbreakable axe. 

• Developer

I think they're wanting to know, will the Woodie player be forced to watch an entire day go by, or will they immediately be able to wake up like the current sleeping mechanic suggests?

@SethR any light you can shed on this? 

I haven't looked at this yet, but it'll be similar to how I've handled the Mandrake knockout: you're forced to sleep for some amount of time (i.e. can't manually wakeup). I doubt I'll keep it as long as it is in the single player game, though: 8 minutes (i.e. a full day) is a long time to be unable to play.

If we're attacked during this knock-out state, will we wake up so that we have a chance to flee/fight back? Or maybe if another player finds us unconscious they can use a low-damage attack (like an unarmed slap) to wake us up? It could entail its own negative connotations in place of the hunger loss during sleep, maybe whatever hunger you would've had drained instead is drained from sanity due to being startled awake so suddenly?

That also begs the question, if we're starving and we get knocked out, will we take damage if we begin to starve to death, or will it only begin as we wake up, like it would when you go to sleep in single player. It could make some vague amount of sense, the body's metabolism slows when unconscious, so at least we won't die in our sleep from hunger pangs, lol. That said if you wake up without a food source, there was never much forgiveness for not keeping track of your hunger in single player, so it should remain as similar as possible for multiplayer, only difference is we can hope there's a friend or stranger nearby willing to share their stockpile with us.

• Developer

If we're attacked during this knock-out state, will we wake up so that we have a chance to flee/fight back? Or maybe if another player finds us unconscious they can use a low-damage attack (like an unarmed slap) to wake us up? It could entail its own negative connotations in place of the hunger loss during sleep, maybe whatever hunger you would've had drained instead is drained from sanity due to being startled awake so suddenly?

That also begs the question, if we're starving and we get knocked out, will we take damage if we begin to starve to death, or will it only begin as we wake up, like it would when you go to sleep in single player. It could make some vague amount of sense, the body's metabolism slows when unconscious, so at least we won't die in our sleep from hunger pangs, lol. That said if you wake up without a food source, there was never much forgiveness for not keeping track of your hunger in single player, so it should remain as similar as possible for multiplayer, only difference is we can hope there's a friend or stranger nearby willing to share their stockpile with us.

That's a lot of good questions and consideration about edge cases! Like I said, I haven't really touched Woodie and his transformations yet, so I unfortunately don't have a solution to offer, but these are exactly the types of things that I have to resolve when this game becomes multiplayer :-)

I will say though that I don't like creating situations where players are getting hurt but unable to break the cycle (i.e. if you're getting attacked while sleeping or starving for long periods of time while sleeping), so I'll be doing my best to avoid super-punishing scenarios like that.

Archived