I just beat chapter 1! What now?

I just beat chapter 1 The Game is Afoot and I am so happy! I am now on chapter 2 King of Winter. I really want to avoid messing up and I couldn't figure out the teleportato so.... I didnt bring anything...

What are some tips? I already have a base that I found which is placed near some rabbits, it has a chest with some winter gear, a thermal measure and an ice box. Im playing as Wilson, I do have reign of giants on and I have most stats intact at the moment.

Have a torch on you at all times to easily warm yourself up by burning things. Remember where things like evil flowers and green mushrooms are for obelisk purposes. And before you go past an obelisk, make sure you have a way to regenerate your sanity quickly (hence green mushrooms, cooked). Get armor as quickly as possible, things to warm yourself up are secondary. Other than that, improvise and good luck!

P.S. Click and drag items into the spaces provided by the teleportato. It should give you four slots.

Been a while since I played Adventure Mode, but if I remember correctly, you're able to place the items you want to take with you into the Teleportato by right-clicking the mechanism after it's assembled. That's when it will show you the "inventory slots" available for it. 

My primary tips for King of Winter are:

- rush through the level. If you get lucky, you may be able to kill a walrus and get your tusk/Tam, but in my opinion, it's better to leave that possibility to simple luck and otherwise just get in-and-out as quickly as possible. Alternate between eating, keeping warm, and keeping that Divining Rod out to guide your way. 

- kite mobs and gather meat if it's convenient and/or absolutely necessary, but otherwise, don't bother. Your goal here isn't to set up a base, again, back to "rush through the level". Gather what you need to survive, rather than gathering what you need to "live well". You'll have plenty of time for crafting and unlocking recipes in other levels. That said, if you haven't unlocked your Science Machine or Alchemy Engine yet, that's a priority, regardless of which level you're playing... even if it's only to make crafting simpler in later levels of Adventure Mode.

- build a shovel and dig up the plants you find - mushrooms, twigs, berries, etc. They won't regrow quickly enough (if at all), and you can use the plants themselves for amazing fire fuel. Plus, in the case of mushrooms, you'll get 2 for the price of 1.

Been a while since I played Adventure Mode, but if I remember correctly, you're able to place the items you want to take with you into the Teleportato by right-clicking the mechanism after it's assembled. That's when it will show you the "inventory slots" available for it. 

My primary tips for King of Winter are:

- rush through the level. If you get lucky, you may be able to kill a walrus and get your tusk/Tam, but in my opinion, it's better to leave that possibility to simple luck and otherwise just get in-and-out as quickly as possible. Alternate between eating, keeping warm, and keeping that Divining Rod out to guide your way. 

- kite mobs and gather meat if it's convenient and/or absolutely necessary, but otherwise, don't bother. Your goal here isn't to set up a base, again, back to "rush through the level". Gather what you need to survive, rather than gathering what you need to "live well". You'll have plenty of time for crafting and unlocking recipes in other levels. That said, if you haven't unlocked your Science Machine or Alchemy Engine yet, that's a priority, regardless of which level you're playing... even if it's only to make crafting simpler in later levels of Adventure Mode.

- build a shovel and dig up the plants you find - mushrooms, twigs, berries, etc. They won't regrow quickly enough (if at all), and you can use the plants themselves for amazing fire fuel. Plus, in the case of mushrooms, you'll get 2 for the price of 1.

last time I rushed through king of winter; actually multiple times; I was killed by Mactusks, starving or spiders. if a science machine is a main priority where should I place it?

If you are wilson grow a beard and you can actually make a nice camp.

try to be ready for deerclops attacks (lead him into spider dens or better the swamp (if he gets killed by tentacles you can collect his loot) (meat will keep you from starving). Also have a boomerang with you to aggro him away from your camp.

for not starving you can always hunt koalefants (or beefaloes) as well they provide so much meat.

When i played trough it in 50 days I had a science machine on every island (it was the first chapter tough)

Okay, this is very important. When you activate the teleportato, place 4 (and ONLY 4) items in the slots before you leave. These go with you in the next world. The walking cane is a must. The Tam O Shanter is often taken (even after winter worlds) due to its high sanity regen and low durability drain. Gold is taken for obvious reasons. The fourth is based on the character (often food but WX can take gears or Webber can take Spider Den Eggs for example.)  

You have to do this 5 times or you start over from chapter 1 if you die without resurrection items, including Touchstones. 

Unfortunately, due to your item mistake you are in the harshest world. Freezing is a pain, food is a problem and knowing when to break up structures and leave is paramount. 

AS noted, carry a torch. You should focus on carrying not only 2 stacks of logs, but 2 stacks of twigs and grass. Picked items don't regrow, and when you obelisk travel, it's likely you won't return back. use the torch on trees (not fully grown and chop fully grown ones) and collect the charcoal when done for warmth (and any ashes.) This also doubles for making many crock pots and drying racks, but also why you need a lot of grass and twigs.

When you find a gold, make a science machine and make a spear, log suit and hammer (or hammer before this if reign of Giants.) Also make a chest, and at least a single crock pot and single drying rack. You'll be hammering and pre-building these items again before you leave through the obelisks anyway. Leave non essentials at the chest when exploring, dry your meats (if you need to make more than one drying rack that's OK but remember you'll be hammering them)  and collect as much pickable foods (carrots, berries, mushrooms in your region. Make enough crock pot food to last you several days before going. you have no idea what's on the other side beside rocks. perhaps ONLY rocks until ANOTHER sanity gate. 

if lucky enough to be able to do so, make but do NOT place an Alchemy Engine. the exception is if Mactusk is on that side, then you can place it to make boomerangs/blowdarts (assuming for blowdarts you have reeds on that  side.) but be ready to break it down and pre build another if you can. break it down if you can't when you gate travel.

About MacTusks:

Make sure you have MULTIPLE armor if it gets broken. The idea is to boomerang mac, catch it with the action (not combat) button AFTER it hits, repeat, grab blow dart and eventual tusk/tam. if you have blow darts, 2 should do it.

If deary begins to roar, go somewhere away from base and make a fire and wait. Lure him somewhere you want him to smack around for you, like Mac or hound mounds or spider concentrations. if you can't handle Mactusk easily, you're not ready for Dearie, so don't try direct combat. 

Finally, make (another) fire near evil flowers, have sanity restorers, run through the opened gate when your sanity is around 15 or so for most characters (the insane lines if you will) and consume restoring items for sanity if you don't have the tam or other high restoring sanity item. 

gather the things, gather the resources, place fire pits on your route when you have rocks to spare, and repeat as needed if you have multiple low sanity gates. Take Chester with you if found and have him carry the Things. take them when you find the Wooden thing. Do final structure pre building there nearby, assemble Things and leave (with the walking cane, tam, Gold and a fourth item of your choosing.) Be extra careful and make sure Food is OK, but stay around Mactusk sections UNTIL you have the tusk/tam (and make a cane ASAP if you can.) these items will save your butt in the rest of AM.   

Good luck! 

last time I rushed through king of winter; actually multiple times; I was killed by Mactusks, starving or spiders. if a science machine is a main priority where should I place it?

If King of Winter is your second-or-later map, it would be best for you to pre-craft an Alchemy Engine in a prior level and have it held on reserve (built, but not placed). That way you can drop it, rather than a Science Machine, in KOW. Anyway, your question...

I'd actually say the Alchemy Engine is your priority rather than the Science Machine... but of course, you need the latter to learn how to build the former. This is also presuming you have not previously unlocked many of your craftables already. If you've already unlocked some of the essential survival recipes in earlier levels, you don't need to build your machine(s) in KOW as your knowledge of crafting carries over from level-to-level.

It does depend a bit on how your map is laid out, but what I generally do is place it down as soon as I find my Beefalo (so, past at least 1 bridge, usually several of them). As soon as I place it, I craft a fire pit, a backpack, and a heatstone... err, thermal stone... if I haven't already done so. I find that my MacTusks usually don't show up until I'm nearing the end of KOW, and my Beefalo/savannah biome is before I reach them. I place it amongst the Beefalo so I can begin hunting for food, and crafting winter clothing.

If I'm having trouble getting to that later point in KOW, I'll try to hold off building it until I can at least get past my first sanity bridge. If times are tough though, I'll place it wherever I need to as long as I don't have spiders and tallbirds invading my mini-sanctuary.

In those winter chapters, do you spend the first few days collecting as many resources as you can, or do you bring the bare minimum and rush? In some previous attempts, I froze to death after 10-20 days before locating the 4th thing.

Once, a moleworm stole my thermal stone at the very beginning ... I wish I could coat my thermal stone with deadly poison.

In those winter chapters, do you spend the first few days collecting as many resources as you can, or do you bring the bare minimum and rush? In some previous attempts, I froze to death after 10-20 days before locating the 4th thing.

Once, a moleworm stole my thermal stone at the very beginning ... I wish I could coat my thermal stone with deadly poison.

I spent that first day getting resources (and food if world #1) and the Thermal Stone which I heat promptly. never ever drop it without being next to it! Chest it or hold it or be prepared to Mole hunt for it!  Once you have the basic 2 sets of grass/twigs/logs (and rocks from gold boulders if on your end of the gates) and a sizable amount of Charcoal and food, rush it! 

Be ready to pre build structures what you just made as you almost ALWAYS have to go through low sanity gates. Unless you're a pro and have advanced weaponry/you are an expert kiter, skip Deerclops until you are swimming in resources and have 4 Things/the Wooden Thing/all MacTusk's drops. If lucky, send Deerclops over TO Mactusk. 

ahahaha that's the unluckiest thing to happen ever lol

I'll see you that, and raise you another player left their old bell on the ground and the mole "ate" it, and activated it with them there :-)

On one occasion, I killed Glommer but the Kramps were not the only visitors. The Bigfoot also came because one of the Kramps decided it was a good idea to steal an old bell.

RoG adventure is simply too hard for me. The cold + the rain is just unbearable in the Game is Afoot.

Now I have finally beaten it in the vanilla mode, shamefully with WX + 8 gears worth of upgrade throughout the game.

HELLO, WES. HELLO, MAXWELL.

Archived