Ranged PVP

My idea was: Have a way to block blow darts and boomerangs.

A is the aggressor (with overall better items)

B is the hunted (with worse items)

Normal Don't Starve PVP: A finds B

A shoots B with blow darts

B never stood a chance.

My idea for PVP: A finds B

B deflects the blow darts with his shield, but is slowed by the shields weight

A, after seeing that B has a shield switches to his boomerang

B then empties his hand and catches the boomerang

Now B has a chance

B engages A in melee

B pulls out a spear

A pulls out a dark sword

B dies a terrible death

The short way: B was able to block A's ranged attacks, but could not launch a counter attack until A's supplies were depleted, this makes quick acting important but also allows the aggressor to make the decision to melee, but the hunted could still make an escape.

Or just make player darts not homing anymore, then you can doge them. I think that's a great solution because I don't tank, and I don't really care about tankers who could do with a shield of sorts.

And yes, make boomerangs catchable by all players.

I'm fine with that as long as it's a tradeoff. Being able to craft something that could always deflect projectiles would mean no one uses projectiles. If it's a one for one thing, though, that's fine. If one "shield" blocks one dart and both are consumed, for instance.

Humm... DS is a survival game, not a fighting game, let's keep DST that way (... I wish Klei would keep it that way ;)).

Someone is hunting everyone and killing them ? Ok so let it be.

Multiplayer map should be more dangerous (more mobs, more traps, more hound, bigger giants... I don't know...) and encourage cooperative play not pvp fights...

I'm not really into giving tools to players for real pvp fights (block, dodge, aim...), I feel it's really not the point of the game.

(although I like the idea of making the boomerang catchable by anyone with good reflex :o)

In my opinion it would be a good idea to make more monster characters like Webber to make faction-based PvP gameplay possible.

I mean you have pigs as humanoid-friendly creatures and spiders as monster-friendly creatures. It would be a good idea to develop it in some sort of a two-sides game mode where you will actually fight as a group against a group, fight for area control by populating areas with spider dens or pig houses as friends for your faction.

If you're running with a gang of spiders or pigs hiding behind them to avoid ranged weapons shouldn't be an issue in this case.

Well, it's purely my own vision, since I don't like any kind of FFA PvP that DST will obviously implement as it's PvP style. Cooperation should be the key even in PvP. Maybe it should be possible to do such thing with the help of a mod or so.

Then again, it should be an alternative to MMO-style PvP, not a replacement, so everyone can find a kind of game mode he wants to play. IMO, variety is a key to making DST an awesome experience.

Humm... DS is a survival game, not a fighting game, let's keep DST that way (... I wish Klei would keep it that way ;)).

Agree. I don't want to see Don't Starve turning into the Hunger Game ;) 

The existing game mechanics are not built for pvp combat anyway.

Agree. I don't want to see Don't Starve turning into the Hunger Game ;)

The existing game mechanics are not built for pvp combat anyway.

I don't like it either, but we have to deal with what is in DST and if they don't balance it in some way PVP will be even worse...

Or just make player darts not homing anymore, then you can doge them. I think that's a great solution because I don't tank, and I don't really care about tankers who could do with a shield of sorts.

And yes, make boomerangs catchable by all players.

I've dodged MacTusk darts though

I've dodged MacTusk darts though

from "data\scripts\prefabs\blowdart.lua":

local function walrus() --that's walrus darts[...]   inst.components.projectile:SetHoming(false) --this is unique to walrus darts[...]end

component "projectile" sets homing to "true" unless told otherwise. Thus, all player darts are homing

from "data\scripts\prefabs\blowdart.lua":

local function walrus() --that's walrus darts[...]   inst.components.projectile:SetHoming(false) --this is unique to walrus darts[...]end

component "projectile" sets homing to "true" unless told otherwise. Thus, all player darts are homing

Must have looked like I dodged when he fired at some empty space i was in then? I don't get how he fired and i was not hit when there was no other opponent or target (eg no chester or other mob) on the screen? 

Must have looked like I dodged when he fired at some empty space i was in then? I don't get how he fired and i was not hit when there was no other opponent or target (eg no chester or other mob) on the screen? 

Wut? I was saying that: darts are homing per default, BUT MacTusk darts (not the ones he drops, just the ones he shoots) are an exeption and can be doged. Most hostile projectiles have that exeption, but the player ones don't.

Wut? I was saying that: darts are homing per default, BUT MacTusk darts (not the ones he drops, just the ones he shoots) are an exeption and can be doged. Most hostile projectiles have that exeption, but the player ones don't.

Ahhh, I get it. I was confused on player vs mob function there.

Blame me playing Maxwell vs NPC Maxwell thinking or the full moon bizarro world effects, or something like that there :p 

Archived